Outrageous but hardly surprising decision from Clancy today - denies Dundee United stonewall penalty

The odd thing is that was actually a pretty good performance by the referee apart from that one decision. He was in control of the game from start to finish and gave the visitors their fair share of fouls....this is something you dont see that often at that ground, not when they are struggling anyway.

I dont know if he bottled it but it was certainly an easy call that would have been given at the other end. The other officials can help or alert the ref ofcourse but then you see Steven McLean and you know you can forget it if its anything that could upset Celtic.

The worrying part for Rangers is that Clancy isnt even the worst when it comes to bias, hes still quite far behind McLean, Madden and possibly even Beaton too.

With a few important games coming up you just know we are going to see some crazy refereeing, i would suggest we need to start hitting form as quite simply some of these guys cant be trusted to call things honestly if there is a title race.

Clancy “may” have been blindsided by players in the way of the incident, but why didn’t the linesman flag for the foul? It’s as clear a penalty as you will ever see.

As for the mysteriously added on time over the declared 4 minutes that it’s just plain and simple cheating. He tried to give Celtic enough time to score. We used to laugh it off and call it “cellic time” but as far as I could see in that 4 mins of added on time there was no injury or incident or time wasting that could possibly have generated the extra minute and a half or whatever it was, the man should be sacked he’s an utter disgrace.

Clancy “may” have been blindsided by players in the way of the incident, but why didn’t the linesman flag for the foul? It’s as clear a penalty as you will ever see.

As for the mysteriously added on time over the declared 4 minutes that it’s just plain and simple cheating. He tried to give Celtic enough time to score. We used to laugh it off and call it “cellic time” but as far as I could see in that 4 mins of added on time there was no injury or incident or time wasting that could possibly have generated the extra minute and a half or whatever it was, the man should be sacked he’s an utter disgrace.
A few posters have said a Dundee Utd player went down during added on time, was that not the case?

Anyone saying that's a foul on Starfelt is off their nut. He got caught dilly dallying and the Dundee Utd player nipped in to take it off him.

Absolutely right, he makes the classic mistake if waiting on a bouncing ball, gets caught out due to his hesitancy and should have cost his team another goal.

A few posters have said a Dundee Utd player went down during added on time, was that not the case?
A utd player was putting his boot back on. Clancy clearly showed he was stopping his watch. It took an age for boy to get his boot back on.

The odd thing is that was actually a pretty good performance by the referee apart from that one decision. He was in control of the game from start to finish and gave the visitors their fair share of fouls....this is something you dont see that often at that ground, not when they are struggling anyway.

I dont know if he bottled it but it was certainly an easy call that would have been given at the other end. The other officials can help or alert the ref ofcourse but then you see Steven McLean and you know you can forget it if its anything that could upset Celtic.

The worrying part for Rangers is that Clancy isnt even the worst when it comes to bias, hes still quite far behind McLean, Madden and possibly even Beaton too.

With a few important games coming up you just know we are going to see some crazy refereeing, i would suggest we need to start hitting form as quite simply some of these guys cant be trusted to call things honestly if there is a title race.
Those other refs aren't more biased than Clancy, c'mon. Incompetent yes - especially Beaton. But he's shown to be shite in all games, apparently he gave hibs a ridiculous penalty yesterday. He is just a garbage ref, not bias towards Rangers.

Like Collum, Beaton is capable of reffing a game well, but when they are bad they are atrocious.

So apparently Dundee Utd should've had two guys sent off yesterday anyway so the penalty decision for them wouldn't have mattered?

Admittedly I wasn’t watching too closely. I just couldn’t recall any reason why the game went so far beyond the stated 4 mins.

Those other refs aren't more biased than Clancy, c'mon. Incompetent yes - especially Beaton. But he's shown to be shite in all games, apparently he gave hibs a ridiculous penalty yesterday. He is just a garbage ref, not bias towards Rangers.

Like Collum, Beaton is capable of reffing a game well, but when they are bad they are atrocious.
Beaton gives me the total fear when he’s reffing our games because literally anything could happen, the guy isn’t biased but he’s a total maniac with a whistle and to this day against hibs at Ibrox is the worst performance from any referee I’ve ever seen in 50 years.

Clancy is just biased and anybody remotely objective can see it, even Caldwell looked embarrassed on Sportscene last night with his nervous grin at the penalty incident.

Does the referee's supervisor, or whatever he is called, not go over these things with the referees concerned? All we want is referees to do their job fairly and apply the rules equally to both sides from kick-off to the end. Is that too much to ask for?

Clancy was poor for both teams - I personally thought Starfelt was fouled in the build-up to the penalty incident.

I'm sure it will only be a few games before Kev gets the chance to rectify those dropped points.

I’d say if you’re giving the penalty you have to give the foul on Starfelt in the lead up. Both are fouls.
The second he chooses not to give the foul on Starfelt he must give the penalty as it’s clear as day he’s wiped him out from the back.

To be fair, Clancy's view was blocked. We keep saying if they can't see they shouldn't guess so I wouldn't blame him on this, but his assistant should have helped.

Clancy was poor for both teams - I personally thought Starfelt was fouled in the build-up to the penalty incident.
You’re having an absolute nightmare if you honestly don’t think he’s giving that without thought at the other end.

Me too CC! Honestly couldn’t believe it when I saw it in one of my posts, mortified! Still can’t comprehend how it happened
Like the time I woke up with 3 men in my bed and was caught by the wife! I explained to her I actually said ‘mentally challenged’ in the gay discotheque I stumbled into on the way home!:(

Yet there was. A Utd player took time putting his boot on and Clancy indicated that he was adding time. He did add more than it took allowing Celtic one last breakaway and then a corner.

Does Clancy not normally team up with the same like minded officials, in which case probably asked his mate not to flag anything controversial against their team? Not been able to find who the assistants were but probably another Kevin or Sean or Anthony! He has the ability to ask his linesman did you see a push so obviously his mate didn't either.

I can't even believe there's any debate here. Starfelt is robbed for fannying about, Vickers bundles over Clarke when last man. It's the most blatant pen and sending off i've seen in a long time. The fact Hartson, Petrov and Caldwell agree it's a pen tells it's own story.

Clancy is a cheat. End of discussion

The linesman too needs called out as well

Defo a pen and red card but they blatantly ignored it

Clancy IMO should be removed from the referee lists. He’s unfit to referee games

For what it's worth, they're also saying the same thing.

A goal ruled out bang on half-time for no reason and a Dundee United player should have seen a clear red.

It's one of them days he probably got a few big calls wrong for both sides - which is no surprise as he's a wee shite ref.
Aye I rhought dun utd shouldve had a red the lad lunges in put of control possibly 2 feet off the ground .......for what it's worth I think Clancy will get Gers v Hibs on Sunday

Wrong. The others are just bad referees. Clancy is a cheat.

There was no foul on Starfelt, the Utd player clearly won the ball, Starfelt seems to be one of these players that goes to ground quite easy if there is a player close and he is under pressure.

As blatant a penalty you will see, there is no debate, it is a penalty and a red card as the player made no attempt to play the ball.

I would be interested to see how much the ball was in play compared with our game recently v Motherwell. Every time the ball went out of play a ball boy had one instantly, particularly goal kicks, they basically were on the pitch putting them back in play. Not like Motherwell who would walk twenty yards to pick the ball they wanted.

There was nothing to justify adding on as much time as Clancy did, he added on more time than it took the boy to get his boot back on. If referees done this at every incident during a game games would last 3 hours.

Clancy is a cheat no one can deny that.

So the Dundee Utd player was just about to get a shot away when he gets barged in the back and pushed to the ground,are you saying he made a genuine attempt to play the ball.

It’s a penalty and Red card .

Some people don't seem to understand the rules.

It’s Don Robertson you need to look out for. He’s fly when reffing a Celtic game. Death by a thousand cuts to the opposition. Stopping play at key opposition points, 40-60 fouls against… Once you see it…

I've just seen the penalty incident from the refs view point. There's no way he had a clear look through two players who were directly blocking his view.

Either linesman could see it's a penalty. They are more accountable for that decision than Clancy is.

Dermot Gallagher on Sky Ref Watch just said Clancy didn't give it because Dundee United player fouled The defender before he ran into the box.Gallagher is one bitter man I am amazed they haven't tried to appoint him head of the Referees in Scotland

Dermot Gallagher on Sky Ref Watch just said Clancy didn't give it because Dundee United player fouled The defender before he ran into the box.Gallagher is one bitter man I am amazed they haven't tried to appoint him head of the Referees in Scotland
By not giving a foul on Starfelt (wasnt a foul in my opinion) it should make no difference what happens in the box after that. The stonewall penalty wasnt given because they would have also been down to 10 men.

29th December 2019 should have been the end of his time as a top flight ref. Ridiculous performance that day that we somehow managed to overcome.

heavily and blatantly favours Celtic.
His wee celebration as their “goal” went in that day was a joke, just can’t help himself

Anyone saying that's a foul on Starfelt is off their nut. He got caught dilly dallying and the Dundee Utd player nipped in to take it off him.
He may or may not have been fouled, it’s a matter of opinion, but “off their nut” is a bit of a stretch.:))

This is the first time I've seen the incident and after reading the countless views of FFers I've got to say it's fucking nowhere near as bad as I expected and it did look like a foul on the filth player in the lead up.

I can't believe I'm sticking up for Clancy.
I've lost my fucking mind.
Your correct, you have lost your fucking mind

Just watched it for the first time there.

Clearly barged the player to the ground just as he was shaping to pull the trigger.

It's as clear a penalty as you will see.
I was going to call the decision baffling but sinister would be more appropriate.

The only two people who have watched that and thought not a penalty were Clancy and the linesman.

You could even see the celtic players waiting for the whistle.

Shocking descision.

If Clancy was a cheat, why didn't he sent Fuchs off for his tackle on McCarthy prior to the first goal? Or Siegrist when be came out of the area to head clear?

Clancy is shite on a whole different scale than most others but if he's a cheat he's not very good at it.

As an aside, Fuchs looks a decent player for United.

Does the referee's supervisor, or whatever he is called, not go over these things with the referees concerned? All we want is referees to do their job fairly and apply the rules equally to both sides from kick-off to the end. Is that too much to ask for?
To be fair he is a busy man dealing with being chief kafflick on earth, just inside/ootside Rome

Back