Over 50 years a fan

I'm of the same vintage Robert (first game in 1969) and I can't believe some of the guff on here the last few days. The worst was "10 will kill us. We'll never recover". Ffs they won the European Cup and we recovered from that. No one outside of Scotland gives a flying fuck about their tainted run of titles. Rangers will be back, 10 or not, and we are much closer to where we want to be than we were 2 years ago. It's been tough the past month but I think that's an indication on how far we have progressed as we expected so much more from the team after the first 4 months of the season. We've blown it this year but we have to stick with it. Changes now would only set us back another couple of seasons and there's no guarantee anyone coming in in place of SG would do any better, and there's no obvious replacement I can see anyway.

I have had the privilege and it's always been a privilege to support The Rangers.
Fell in Love with The Stadium first time I saw it lit up at night.
Still believe it to be an iconic and proper football ground filled with a wonderful support.
I never saw us win a trophy for 4 years but that was just an inconvenience.
I have seen us win a European Trophy and been beaten finalists. I have seen us win trebles and every other domestic trophies many times.
I have seen great Managers and others not as successful
I have seen last day wins in the League, I have also seen us lose 3 times in 8 days to Celtic.
I have suffered like all my fellow supporters in the last 8 years.
I have never once given a microsecond thought that I would not be at the next game at Ibrox.
It easy for me to support Rangers, no matter if we win, lose or draw.
Now is the time for every single fan to stand up and support our team.
The League is not over and we have every chance of turning this around.
The players, the management and the board need our unequivocal backing.
Now is the time
We'll Support You Evermore
We are probably of a similar age and I just about remember Kai Johansens winner in the SCottish Cup Final replay then it was four barren years until big DJ scored the winner in the League Cup Final.
Celtic seemed unbeatable but we proved they are not 2 trebles and the ECWC proved that was a myth.

I have had the privilege and it's always been a privilege to support The Rangers.
Still believe it to be an iconic and proper football ground filled with a wonderful support.
I have seen us win a European Trophy and been beaten finalists. I have seen us win trebles and every other domestic trophies many times.
I have seen last day wins in the League, I have also seen us lose 3 times in 8 days to Celtic.
I have never once given a microsecond thought that I would not be at the next game at Ibrox.
Now is the time
Likewise Robert...1964 at East End Dunfermline ...Baxter (great friend of my dad) gave me a Rangers scarf that I still have.

53 years for me.
1st season (67/68) only 1 defeat on last day of season to Aberdeen , a league championship looked likely only a couple of weeks before.
Following Rangers has been a rollercoaster of emotions over the years ,however one thing stays the same
If Rangers are playing at Ibrox I'll be there.

Now is the time
Well done sir. What a true Ranger is all about

Great post Rab. I could have written that myself word for word. First game in 1967. Midweek under the lights, when I first saw the pitch lit up almost luminous, that was me captivated. Still am.

We have navigated the narrowest of sea channels for the best part of a decade. Our anchor has held through the storms . It is starting to broaden. The day is not done so we follow on.

Good post OP.
Might not have been my first game but the one I remember most,day of my 7th birthday November 1964 v Motherwell.
Jim Forrest scored late on,no subway loyal then,we will fight till the day is done.

Now is the time

Well said Robert.

There's no doubt that the more mature Rangers supporters who went through their 9 in a row are battle hardened, loyal supporters and I say this as a 27 year old.

I look at my dad and his mates (all in their 60s) and they are there every week, home and away, irrespective of our previous performance.

Reactions: ao2
Inspirational posts are always....well, inspirational.

However I can’t believe some of you still think we can win the league. This Isn’t 2005. There isn’t going to be a Hibs going to Celtic Park and beating them there. The league has changed.

I’ve been going to the games for over 60 years and concur with most of the OP. But the league is over for this year, no amount of no surrender talk can alter that.

Is the correct answer .

I love our never give up attitude , and the ethos that has brought so much to the club over the decades .

However not at the expense of reality .

Some fans just glibly repeat “ but big Marvin says “ out of sheer laziness and refusal to engage in the reality in front of us .

That doesn’t help anyone .

Like you Robert I’ve seen the unsuccessful times long before the good times and now unfortunately we are going through unsuccessful times again. I refuse to use the term “bad times” because there’s never a bad time to be a Rangers fan. Thankfully most of us follow follow regardless.

Is the correct answer .

I love our never give up attitude , and the ethos that has brought so much to the club over the decades .

However not at the expense of reality .

Some fans just glibly repeat “ but big Marvin says “ out of sheer laziness and refusal to engage in the reality in front of us .

That doesn’t help anyone .

Glad you have nothing to do with the playing side at Rangers.

Back