Over Confidence is Giving me the Fear

Rev George Walker

Everybody is blowing their beans about tomorrow, which is causing The Rev considerable anxiety.

And Murty's patter, in general, but more specifically the "dressing room cheered" line, what planet is he on?

Celtic are champions and have a healthy lead at the moment in the league. They horsed us first game this season and the last time we played, yes, I think we were on top, but fux sax, we're acting as if tomorrow is a forgone conclusion.

Celtic are the team to beat with an experienced manager who has managed at the top level in England.

Yes, we have hit a bit for form and yes, if we are disciplined, organised, work hard, Collum doesnt %^*& us and Morelos and Windass dont miss 5 sitters between them, we can get a result - but let's cool the beans and wait for the final whistle.

And to Murty, before every OF game say "we know how difficult the game is going to be and we're not taking anything for granted, but the boys have been working hard in training and are [really] looking forward to the game". Then if we win the league you can ram it up them and tell them they're a loada shite.

Also, Murty, never ever praise Celtic (The Bheasts) or Celtic Park (The Knew Camp) or their fans (The Banana Chuckers) unless you have just horsed them - only then can you tell them how great the atmosphere is at TKC.

At all levels we are naive whereas The Bheats know the score,

we should have pumped them in their miden, this is the first time in a long while i have felt good going into this game. If it wasnt for referees being their twelth man they would be getting pumped more often in this league

I’m not that confident to be honest I hope like every other fan but our defending last weekend against Falkirk was honking at times we really need to tighten up.But after a couple of vodkas in the morning I’ll be well up for it.

Nothing wrong with us being over confident. That’s what fans do. But the team won’t be over confident.

I can’t remember a Rangers team ever going into an OF match thinking the game was won before a ball was kicked, only celtc ever do that. And we can all name our favourite example of it biting them in the ass.

I would love to be as confident as some.

Even when we had some of our best sides, I was never 100% confident.

It's the biggest game of football in the world.

Even when we were pumping them on a regular basis I was never over confident! It a game where form goes out the window quickly, both teams are always one mistake from defeat. It’s all down to how each player handles the game.

I am feeling trepidation more than confidence. Deep in my gut i feel we can beat them. But we have to get in to them from the first whistle to the last. Cmon rangers just fucking do this.

Chill mate. What you said Murty should say before every old firm game is more or less what he said in his presser.

The cheering the draw was brought up by Sky as their reporters heard it. Murty was just asked about it.
What reaction did people want "oh shite we've got them"

I would love to be as confident as some.

Even when we had some of our best sides, I was never 100% confident.

It's the biggest game of football in the world.

I'm the same . Never confident , always cautious , being old I suppose gets you that way .

And sadly I don't think it is the biggest game in the world anymore -playing each other five and six times a season has diluted the fixture hugely over the years .

I’m not that confident to be honest I hope like every other fan but our defending last weekend against Falkirk was honking at times we really need to tighten up.But after a couple of vodkas in the morning I’ll be well up for it.

This for me from midfield to front we are pretty good , but don’t kid ourselves defensively we are not that good.

Also let’s hope windass steps up to the plate and does not do his disappearance act again .

Being super confident is what any sportsman should be before an event, thats why so many have sports psychologists. Only danger is being arrogant and thinking its won and that won't happen

Me being confident or being pessimistic will have no bearing on the outcome

I see where you're coming from however we've had nothing to be confident about in year's. Allow the bears to look forward to the games for once. A defeat will feel like any other derby defeat and likewise a win.

Also the confidence of our squad is a good thing. Especially when you think back to just last year when we had players bricking it in the warm-up. As long as it's tempered by Murty.

Bring them on.

I’m getting less confident as time goes on.

We definitely have the beating of them if we play our game. But so many utter scunners this season so far has me nervous as %^*&.

Just do it Rangers. Intae them.

Don't think it's over confident,I think it's a realisation that the gap has closed significantly and we are for the first time since getting back into the premier league in with a decent shout of winning.

Its just the first 10 mins i get nervous for then you settle down, i think we are just used to disappointment but it would really be huge to win this game, not just for the league but we just really need this as a club and support.

I think we can win the game but its an old firm game and anything can happen, you can win 4 0 or get destroyed 4-0 regardless of form.

Apart from Hearts look what Killie did to them, ok it was only 1-0 but it could have been 3-0 and they tims had one shot on target.

It’s ok for us fans to be confident, we are playing well and have them shitting it for the first time in years!

As long as the players channel that confidence and work hard throughout the 90 minutes we’ll be fine.

Full of bravado loyal;)

I think Murty could be half way to getting the Rangers managers position on a more permanent basis .... but he needs to beat them tomorrow being his biggest chance to do just that. If he pulls it off, well it might just be a watershed moment not just for him but our whole club. C'mon the Rangers

I think Murty could be half way to getting the Rangers managers position on a more permanent basis .... but he needs to beat them tomorrow being his biggest chance to do just that. If he pulls it off, well it might just be a watershed moment not just for him but our whole club. C'mon the Rangers

He needs to beat them tomorrow to have any chance of the job IMO.

Because if we don't win tomorrow, I don't see us winning either of the remaining Celtic games this season.

But I'm positive we will do them tomorrow.

They have players all over the park that know what it’s like to beat us. We need to break our duck soon or it will become a milestone round our necks. But yeah the over confidence thing is worrying me they are all over it on their forums and other football forums. First thing I say this morning was a thread ‘When we beat them’ .. ridiculous stuff. Everyone has to be at their best and we absolutely need the first goal imo. If they play 5 in the middle I fear the worst. However still very much a winnable game simply have to take our chances

Its not overconfidence I just think its a positive outlook as we can compete with them now, The last game we were all on here wondering how many goals we were going to lose by, Now at least we can talk about the possibility of a victory, Derby games you can never really predict but for the 1st time in a long time we are in a good place

3-1 victory is my prediction. Any victory of sorts will do.

I don't think it's overconfidence per se. It's more for the first time in years they are our next fixture and I'm not asking myself how many we will get beat by but thinking and playing scenarios in my head of how we will do it.

That's a massive change of pscyhe.

Maybe misplaced, I guess we will soon find out.

None the less there's a turning of the tide.

It's palpable from their rancid fans to their arsèlicking media placemen.

I'm sure everybody on here has read all the shíte posted this week in the media. I'm sure you all have heard at least one rattler say "if we don't turn up" "you've got to win eventually"

They wanted us dead and now call us zombies so even if you are bit nervous internally get it right up them anyway as they are absolutely raging that this situation even exists.

Fúck them and all they stand for.

3-1 to the Famous.

He needs to beat them tomorrow to have any chance of the job IMO.

Because if we don't win tomorrow, I don't see us winning either of the remaining Celtic games this season.

But I'm positive we will do them tomorrow.

Agreed mate , we need to start better than we have recently, set the tempo early and take our chances we win
Imo

It’s not overconfidence. It’s a team spirit that did not exist until recently. It’s players willing to put themselves on the line for each other. It’s about a realisation that they are not as good as the mhedia like to hype. It’s a fight like we’re able to take.

We’re right to be confident. Regardless of tomorrow’s result they will know we’re here and getting better. For next season at the very least will be ours!

We're in the best possible shape and form to face them.
My only real concern is that Goss wants too much time on the ball and we lose ground in midfield.

I would prefer a wall of silence coming from the players and management team, we really should have a blanket media ban on the run up to games like this.

please dont get fooled by the dimmy driven press that Gers are super confident ?? this seems to be driven by Murty correctly saying the players cheered when they got the dims in the semi. He did not say the players said yep easy game, we will win nae bother. its the dimmy press who have jumped on this bandwagon and brenda and a few of the players have followed suit

this game tomorrow is as simple as if the Gers team turn up tomorrow - with Morelos, Windass, Murphy, Candeias, Tav, Goss and Cummins if needed - who are all on form then its too much for dimmy to handle - not confidence just plain fitba sense ;-)

I know what you mean, op.

Truth is, despite what is coming from brenda and the rest, we aren't actually expected to win.....but they are. The idea that the pressure is all on us is pish. If we don't win then the truth of the matter (despite the disappointment) is that we are still a work in progress. If they don't win, after all the money spent and the years of winning without any real competition, then it's them who will get it in the neck from their "fans" and media.

We are, without a doubt, capable of winning and hopefully we do. If we manage to beat them and (tempting fate here!) even pip them to the league then their business plan explodes and brenda is forced out by the hoardes amidst regular car park full of them protesting about everyone and everything. If we don't then we can easily continue as normal and keep improving and do it next season.

We are on the up and there is only down for them.

As long as our players are not too over confident and I don’t think they’ve said anything in the mhedia that gives that impression

We will need to play at our very best to beat them tomorrow

They have good players and an experienced manager

If our players have the right attitude and desire to win then hopefully we take our chances on the day

Big Wes will need to be on his game too and hopefully keeps a clean sheet

I’d take a scrappy win but to improve we have to beat them and I hope we start tomorrow

Take the positives out of your feelings.. Would you rather be going into the game shitting yourself, or going into the game without any fear?.
I know the one I prefer. WATP

Murty was asked about the dressing room cheering because the dressing room cheered.
He answered the question perfectly well. Do you think he should’ve denied it happened?

I would prefer a wall of silence coming from the players and management team, we really should have a blanket media ban on the run up to games like this.
You mean treat it completely differently to every other game just to make them feel special?

I think it’s just the nature of this place, the club hasn’t said very much this week infact we have being subjected to the poison dwarf and mongo continually banging on about how much noise were making (irony indeed), which hopefully will be noted by the team and management to use in a positive manner when we face them.

Being confident about tomorrow certainly beats how I was feeling before the last game when I was actually contemplating not watching - this feeling passed and I did - although the tv was switched off with 5 mins to go as I was just too nervous to watch

Was a rookie manager mistake by murty to say how the players reacted when the draw was made , just fed the tims extra inducement.

I see it being a high scoring draw , 2-2 or similar as both are suspect defensively (& we must force shots on their backup up keeper. He’s bloody 37! Get the shots on him

The tims have a far more established squad, more internationals , huge wage differential, outlay in transfer fees and are leading the table, don’t let anyone be kidded, they are favourites

I don't thinks it's over confidence OP but when you put things into perspective, we're performing really well just now and playing as a unit, we're scoring goals freely and they aren't really all that good and especially now.

Fans alike have that feeling that we can take them tomorrow tight game or not this is our best opportunity and they are under pressure make no mistake about it.

They are expected to win and pull away in the league again but it's not that simple now,3 to 6 month ago; let's be honest this gap was unimaginable and that won't be sitting well with them.

I've experienced that dreadful feeling of approaching games against them, not many may I add but where I've feared for us and hoped for damage limitation but we're getting closer and closer to where we should be and at a level we should be performing at.

Am I confident? You better believe it, we just need the players to believe it and to do the business on the park, like I say we are in a good place right now.

Murty went out his way to state in his presser it was NOT over confidence in any way, merely positivity from the players and a real hunger to play in and belief they can do well in these games. He also said that the atmosphere at theirs was great but tomorrow will be unbelievable as its at Ibrox, which makes it even more special. He acknowledged we still have work to do and improvements to make if we are to be consistent enough to challenge for titles. How you got he and the players are over confident and could easily end up with egg on their faces absolutely baffles me op. Time for a lie down methinks.

Our fans are definitely verging on over confidence (about bloody time we could feel like this too imo), rodgers is 100% coming across as over confident with his replies in the press, their players WILL be over confident as they're used to winning these games recently. Meanwhile, our players appear to have the battle fever on and are full of self belief going into it for the first time since the cup semi victory imo and we are a much better team now than that one was. I personally haven't felt this positive going into a game against them since that victory either. Rooooooooaaaaaaaaaaar lol.

Been a while since I had this feeling, to be honest it’s really good, but the wee bit of doubt seems to be hanging around, thank goodness I am a fan and not a player, now let’s just get tore into them.

Back