Over reliance on Alfredo last season

BasileBoliSoup

Sorry if this has been done to death but this was our main issue last season alongside his dip in form after January. Thankfully it doesn't look like it's happening this time around and the goals are being spread about much more.

From the beginning of last season(including euro qualifiers) up until the same game week as we're at just now we scored 72 goals and Alfie scored 23 of them, that's roughly 32% of our total. For the rest of the shortened season he then only scored 6 of our 40 goals(15%).

This season so far we have scored 60 goals and he has scored 7, so only 12% of our total.

So far the strength and depth of this squad has shown to be superb so even if some players form drops or they get injured it looks like we have the capability to cover this!

I think under the current system he has had to change his game similar to Kane it’s more about team tactics and inter change this season I was lucky enough to see Rinus Michaels Dutch team total football although not at that level yet I think you can see how every player is not more important than the team and the way we play

You don't see Morelos out wide, or roaming about the way he did last season. He's been coached to be more disciplined.
Nobody could replicate what he did last season, his individual performances were often incredible. It came at a cost though, because when he wasn't there the team had to play differently.
Some of our biggest strengths this season has been consistency of shape, system and performance.
If Morelos doesn't play Roofe, Itten or Defoe can play in the same system. They are of course different players, but everyone else can play in a similar way around them.

I actually think we are in the best position to cash in on him now if we could get a deal done and get someone like Vydra in for free ( we nearly got him Last January and is well known to Ross Wilson) we could replace him without having to spend a penny of the transfer fee

Agree re Morelos, but our midfield has helped considerably. Last year it was too many safe, slow crossfield passes. Now we get the ball forward much quicker so defences have less time to organise.
All of this, but also the fact that Morelos playing slightly further back seems to have confused defences, and allowed space to become available beyond him. Defences have to be wary of multiple threats this season instead of concentrating on Alfie.

You don't see Morelos out wide, or roaming about the way he did last season. He's been coached to be more disciplined.
Nobody could replicate what he did last season, his individual performances were often incredible. It came at a cost though, because when he wasn't there the team had to play differently.
Some of our biggest strengths this season has been consistency of shape, system and performance.
If Morelos doesn't play Roofe, Itten or Defoe can play in the same system. They are of course different players, but everyone else can play in a similar way around them.
The movement and fluidity of our front four/five is a joy. They have no set positions it would seem. They all just get involved as they see fit. And we have plenty options on the bench. The Team is the key.

Mixing Plan A up with balls over the top/long diagonal passes, adding a totally different dimension. This is complimented by Morelos dropping deep and pulling defenders out.

In previous seasons I think we all said if Morelos is sold or is out for a prolonged period of time we can kiss any title challenge goodbye. If he got injured tomorrow or sold in January I genuinely feel we’d still be strong favourites to win the league. I won’t sit and say it wouldn’t make a blind bit of difference but he’s no longer indispensable. The team as a whole are hungry enough with or without him.

Yeah, he was absolutely immense in the first half of the season and we set up with him as the focal point of the team. When his form dipped and Defoe was injured we struggled badly.

This season the way the team plays is completely different and it's worked wonders so far. He may not be scoring the same amount of goals as he did by this point last season but overall he's still playing pretty well but if it's not working for him we have Defoe, Itten or Roofe that can take up that role.

Currently listening to the latest H&H podcast and the guys have basically just talked about my original post but in a far clearer and concise way Although without the stats!

The movement and fluidity of our front four/five is a joy. They have no set positions it would seem. They all just get involved as they see fit. And we have plenty options on the bench. The Team is the key.
Then you add in Barisic and Tavernier bombing down the wings which then causes other teams even more issues!

The downside to this new role is he’s not scoring the same number of goals as he did this time last year when he was running riot in the league and especially the Europa

My biggest concern is when we go to sell him.

After his rich form in the first half of last season, we slapped £20m on him. This valuation came straight from Dembele going for that to Lyon.

Our board obviously felt Morelos was every bit as good as Dembele.

Since then, only 1 team has tabled a serious bid for him which was in the summer by Lille for 16m. We never had it clarified whether it was £16m or €16m.

Either way, it was at least £4m short of our asking price therefore the only conclusion is that teams simply don’t believe he was worth £20m and that was a few months after the best form he’s ever been in in his career.

Since that rich run of form a full 12 months ago, he hasn’t been great and certainly hasn’t been as effective in terms of his goal tally.

And that’s my concern. Teams paying big money for a striker will look at his goal return and in the past 12 months it hasn’t been great and it’s a concern as IMO if teams aren’t willing to pay £20m for him after a rich run of form, there’s not a chance they’ll pay that for him now and IMO we’ll do well to get offered another 16m bid for him

The downside to this new role is he’s not scoring the same number of goals as he did this time last year when he was running riot in the league and especially the Europa

After his rich form in the first half of last season, we slapped £20m on him. This valuation came straight from Dembele going for that to Lyon.

Since then, only 1 team has tabled a serious bid for him which was in the summer by Lille for 16m. We never had it clarified whether it was £16m or €16m.

Either way, it was at least £4m short of our asking price therefore the only conclusion is that teams simply don’t believe he was worth £20m and that was a few months after the best form he’s ever been in in his career.

Since that rich run of form a full 12 months ago, he hasn’t been great and certainly hasn’t been as effective in terms of his goal tally.

And that’s my concern. Teams paying big money for a striker will look at his goal return and in the past 12 months it hasn’t been great and it’s a concern as IMO if teams aren’t willing to pay £20m for him after a rich run of form, there’s not a chance they’ll pay that for him now and IMO we’ll do well to get offered another 16m bid for him
Alfie’s discipline would have put a lot of teams off.

His goal scoring ability is not in question, if he continues to show his tactical and emotional discipline this season for the good of the team then we have more chance of getting what we value him at.

He’s got 8 group stage Europa league goals in the last 9 games , an outstanding record in anyone’s book

If the French penalty taker across the city had Alfredo’s record it would be getting shouted from the rooftops with £50 million rated claims

It's a lot harder for opposition teams to contain us now than before, it was easier for them to take Morelos out of the game than what we have now, we now have a team worthy of winning trophies, we just need to do it and prove we are worthy of it.

Who knew that this was the problem? The management team have done extraordinarily well to rectify it. I think we'd be even better if we replaced him with a more technically sound striker too

Back