Overlap - Neville & Ibrox

Hooty

Catching up on the last few Overlap Stick To Football podcasts, and one from February is on European football, and they are talking about best atmospheres.

Despite Keane unsurprisingly chipping in that Torbett Towers is better, Gary Neville was straight in with Ibrox. I know he has said it a few times down the years, but he reiterated just how loud Ibrox was in 2003, and never experienced anything like it.

Said he had a tough game against Lovenkrands because he was so quick.

Wasn't at the Manchester United game that year but the noise against Leipzig a few years ago blows anything out the water I've experienced, imagine Ibrox was like that more often.
I was in 2003 & 2009 and neither stand out as outstanding atmosphere’s that said i was blootered at both, nearly got huckled out in 2009 for shouting constantly at Rooney for being a granny shagger (yes i was that Euro Ned)

I was in 2003 & 2009 and neither stand out as outstanding atmosphere’s that said i was blootered at both, nearly got huckled out in 2009 for shouting constantly at Rooney for being a granny shagger (yes i was that Euro Ned)
I was at the match in 2009 didn't think the atmosphere was upto much either, I was also a euro Ned back then :))

Catching up on the last few Overlap Stick To Football podcasts, and one from February is on European football, and they are talking about best atmospheres.

Despite Keane unsurprisingly chipping in that Torbett Towers is better, Gary Neville was straight in with Ibrox. I know he has said it a few times down the years, but he reiterated just how loud Ibrox was in 2003, and never experienced anything like it.

Said he had a tough game against Lovenkrands because he was so quick.

He says he had a tough time against every winger he faced. :)

If that’s the same one I seen, Neville raves about it, but the inner poet of Keane can’t help it and keeps trying to crowbar the jungles into it, but no one takes any notice as Gary is so animated whilst discussing it.

2003 was a good atmosphere

2010 it was just jibing Rooney about “ only score in a brothel”

He then scored the winner.

2003 game was a cracking atmosphere up until they scored in the 6th minute. That's what Neville was talking about.

I remember Lovenkrands getting booted in the air in the first minute with their player getting booked and the noise of protest when the foul happened was deafening.

Had we scored first that night, it would have been one of the loudest moments at Ibrox ever imo.

The 2003 Champions League home games against Stuttgart (1-0 down and went onto win 2-1) and the Man Utd were cracking atmospheres (the 2010 one was very flat in comparison and not even a sell out).

We should really have gotten something that night against Utd. We had the chances but were too erratic infront of goal. Man Utd seemed content with their 1-0 win, though do recall Scholes strolling it.

I was there as the Man Utd team bus pulled up and never seen it so busy before a game. Hundreds singing TBB and then “where’s the junkie?” at Rio Ferdinand :D Keane took absolute pelters that night which explains his reluctance to harp on about it.

The 2003 Champions League home games against Stuttgart (1-0 down and went onto win 2-1) and the Man Utd were cracking atmospheres (the 2010 one was very flat in comparison and not even a sell out).

We should really have gotten something that night against Utd. We had the chances but were too erratic infront of goal. Man Utd seemed content with their 1-0 win, though do recall Scholes strolling it.

I was there as the Man Utd team bus pulled up and never seen it so busy before a game. Hundreds singing TBB and then “where’s the junkie?” at Rio Ferdinand :D Keane took absolute pelters that night which explains his reluctance to harp on about it.
I wonder what it would of been like if we hadnt sold Ferguson

I know this will be a deeply unpopular opinion but I think Roy Keane is actually very entertaining.

Reactions: VGM
Asked his brother on twitter what the most hostile atmosphere was he ever experienced was and he said Fener.

The actual atmospheres during the games against them was nothing too special.

Neville is clearly referencing - as he has done a few times previously - the noise as the players came out the tunnel and the line up pre kick off.

Back