Overrated players?

Franck Ribery. Never seen him play a good game any time I watched him. He no doubt performed against the smaller teams but he was usually completely ineffective when I watched him at a higher level.

Most of the players mentioned in this thread played at the highest level for years under some of the greatest managers and as such I'll tend to defer to their opinion on what makes a good player.

That said (and I dunno why this player in particular comes to mind) I just never saw anything particularly special with Florent Malouda.

I always thought Ryan Giggs was overrated. For an attacking player I don't think his goals return for the amount of games he played was that impressive.

https://www.premierleague.com/players/335/Ryan-Giggs/stats

Carragher used that against Giggs when he picked a combined Man U and Liverpool 11 and I thought at the time it was nonsense personally.

He compared the numbers of Salah and Mane v Giggs, but it totally overlooks how different their roles are.

The role of a wide player during most of the years Giggs was at his peak was totally different. Giggs was predominantly getting as wide as possible and getting crosses in the box rather than for goals.

Carragher used that against Giggs when he picked a combined Man U and Liverpool 11 and I thought at the time it was nonsense personally.

He compared the numbers of Salah and Mane v Giggs, but it totally overlooks how different their roles are.

The role of a wide player during most of the years Giggs was at his peak was totally different.
Giggs for the majority of his career was an out and out winger. Hit the bye line get the ball in. Salah and Mane are forwards not wingers.

Giggs for the majority of his career was an out and out winger. Hit the bye line get the ball in. Salah and Mane are forwards not wingers.

Even still, a winger should have a good number of goals and assists.

When Ronaldo was at Man Utd he played the same role as Giggs and outshone him, as did Bale at Spurs.

Dida won 2 champions leagues and the World Cup. Yet regularly spilled the ball into the net or palmed innocuous shots right to the feet of incoming strikers whenever I saw him play.

Who knew.

The vast majority of the celebrated footballers i've watched over the last 2 to 3 decades were in fact shit.

I'm off to watch some real talent at Dalbeattie Star

Renato Sanches. signed for Bayern for a deal starting at 35m possibly rising to 80m!

Guy looked average at best playing for Swansea

Have a little look back on FF for the Zungu and Coulibaly threads if you want to see overrated ha.

And now looks great at Lille
didnt watch him in france, seen him play for portugal in the summer and again thought he was meh. ran about and kicked some people but his use of the ball wasnt anything special at all.

Judging by the comments made by Lille they seem quite happy to sell him after only one year?

Last edited:
Renato Sanches. signed for Bayern for a deal starting at 35m possibly rising to 80m!

Guy looked average at best playing for Swansea
He’s been quality at Lille and still is only 24.

Plenty of time to piece it all together, incredibly skilful guy who just needs to improve his decision making - which is getting better.

A joy to watch.

I get it, I get these threads, but....this, this one, jesus christ.
6 hits, 1 miss. My record in these threads is usually a lot worse so I’ll take it

I think he’s pretty average and has a distinct lack of end product, woeful finishing as well, not the danger man people think he is

Ryan Giggs

He was one of these players who would have one great game then be quite poor for the next 3 or 4 games, but people only remember the good stuff.

They gave him player of the year in his final season at Man Utd. Biggest token gesture ever.

6 hits, 1 miss. My record in these threads is usually a lot worse so I’ll take it

I think he’s pretty average and has a distinct lack of end product, woeful finishing as well, not the danger man people think he is

Mate, wit, did you watch the Man City Liverpool game, the boy is an absolutely glorious football player.

Mate, wit, did you watch the Man City Liverpool game, the boy is an absolutely glorious football player.
Yeah he was pretty good that game, he’s in a good spell of form atm so I picked the wrong time to say it

He strikes me as a very frustrating player that people judge based on highlights from every 1 in 5 games, I’ve also seen him miss countless howling open goals, on top of that Mahrez is completely clear of him

They gave him player of the year in his final season at Man Utd. Biggest token gesture ever.
Football equivalent of Dicaprio getting an Oscar for Revenant. Didn’t deserve it for that one but recognition for a great career.

Might get stick for this but I think Neymar is way over rated.
In days gone by he would struggle to make the Brazil squad never mind being their main man.
I don’t think I’ve watched a game with him in it where I’ve seen him play well or think “ that boys a player”

These threads are always a great laugh. Ryan Giggs wasn't consistent despite playing at the very top level for over 20 years. Superb

He was a 'good' player, but not a great. Isn't that what the thread's about, overrated players?

For a guy who played at Man Utd for 20 years as a winger his goal return is shocking.

Scholes is another one who gets better every year he's retired. Some folk say the best EPL midfielder ever or the best English midfielder ever. Bollocks. In his entire career I don't think he ever won Man Utd's player of the year (whereas dross like Heinze did), he was never in the FIFA World 11, never nominated for the Ballon d'Or (whereas Lampard and Gerrard finished 2nd/3rd).

You don’t need to be world class to be over rated
I didnt say you did

Your list seems to be merely picking out the least strong players at big teams

Not sure who overrated Fletcher for example

I think everyone knew he was an average player, a water carrier type who did the ugly or defensive stuff so the flair players could play

That seems to be somewhat synonymous of every player you've named

The lesser lights of bigger sides

Got to be Raheem Sterling. Described on here as being in the top 3 in the world.

Not in the top three of inside lefts in the City under 15’s.

Who said that?

Up there with someone saying Richard Gough was better than Sergio Ramos.

One of the TalkSport numpties did say he was better than Neymar though. Canny remember which one since there's quite a few morons to choose from. Jason Cundy, Andy Townsend and Jamie O'Hara often outdo themselves.

Back