Parallel Lines - The Gub lets rip

Some of our fans are absolutely obsessed with that lot. Europe is meaningless and building the club for a sustainable future is a distraction from the real job.

Guys won a trophy every season as a manager but he's shit and should quit. Absolutely pumped dortmund means %^*& all, leibzig, psv all nothing. Think for some winning the uefa cup would only have meant bragging rights to shout at that lot.

Some of our fans are absolutely obsessed with that lot. Europe is meaningless and building the club for a sustainable future is a distraction from the real job.

Guys won a trophy every season as a manager but he's shit and should quit. Absolutely pumped dortmund means %^*& all, leibzig, psv all nothing. Think for some winning the uefa cup would only have meant bragging rights to shout at that lot.
Just being a tiny bit better than Celtic has always been the be all and end all to a significant section of our support. There are posters on here who will tell you, quite proudly, they'd take a Scottish league title over a European trophy.

Even last season we had posters who wanted us to go out in Europe and them to progress so we'd be fresher in the league. Depressingly parochial.

PS not saying the Gub is one of these fans. Not a lot to argue with in the article even though I do think he's far too heavy with the criticism of the manager

I dont buy into the supposed parallels with John Greigs tenure. Different circumastances different times. But even i, as one of the infamous "happy clappers",have to agree 100% on what he said about Gio. The truth is if Gio doesnt change his philosophy quicksmart then this season and his managership is only ending one way.

so fans unhappy with the manager, but we know the board would no sack him anytime soon, lets hope things things improve, as that's all we can do in reality
cause lets face it, our hoping will have as much effect on the team as that article

Gio won’t resign and the board won’t sack him even though it is patently obvious every criticism in that article is spot on.

Our board will look at the financial performance under the manager - outstanding, consider the relative position in the league - on the face of it, not terrible, and believe the narrative about players needing to settle, etc.

They’ll only react when - and it is when, not if imo - the wheels properly come off and the atmosphere in the stands becomes toxic and when that starts to effect revenues.

I have been a supporter of the board (not the exec team) but if they believe the belated and unconvincing spin they’ve come up with this week will blind us to the evidence of our own eyes, they’re deluded. The football club is being badly mismanaged.

Last edited:
Got as far as "Looking at the present shambles the club finds itself in" then gave up.

People need to get a fucking grip. Nothing is anywhere near as bad as is being made out. So many fucking entitled gimps in our support these days. Yes there's things that need work, and things that have not gone well, but the club right now is in the best place it's been for a long, long time - possibly ever.

Got as far as "Looking at the present shambles the club finds itself in" then gave up.

People need to get a fucking grip. Nothing is anywhere near as bad as is being made out. So many fucking entitled gimps in our support these days. Yes there's things that need work, and things that have not gone well, but the club right now is in the best place it's been for a long, long time - possibly ever.
The squad is an utter shambles and we have the wrong guy in the dugout. Apart from that you’re spot on.

Gio won’t resign and the board won’t sack him even though it is patently obvious every criticism in that article is spot on.

Our board will look at the financial performance under the manager - outstanding, consider the relative position in the league - on the face of it, not terrible, and believe the narrative about players needing to settle, etc.

They’ll only react when - and it is when, not if - the wheels properly come off and the atmosphere in the stands becomes toxic and when that starts to effect revenues. That will certainly come too late for this season. The majority of fans already know this season is a dead duck in September - unacceptable.

I have been a supporter of the board (not the exec team) but if they believe the belated and unconvincing spin they’ve come up with this week will blind us to the evidence of our own eyes, they’re deluded. The football club is being badly mismanaged.
Whhoooaa there.
Rein yourself in.
This season has a long way to go.

The current break is hopefully put to good use and the return of football next week will be a measure of whether or not it has been.
Go to Tynecastle and get the three points and then we will see how well The Filth are able to respond in the weeks after when they have to go Wednesday to Saturday.
The league is very much there to be won or lost.

I can't see us doing much of anything in the CL as we have been awarded a very difficult group and the team hasn't looked capable of taking much from it.
But domestically we remain more than capable of taking everything all the way.

The season has seen us start slow with a lot of injuries, however, The Filth have had all of their's to pick from.
Things can change.

Whhoooaa there.
Rein yourself in.
This season has a long way to go.

The current break is hopefully put to good use and the return of football next week will be a measure of whether or not it has been.
Go to Tynecastle and get the three points and then we will see how well The Filth are able to respond in the weeks after when they have to go Wednesday to Saturday.
The league is very much there to be won or lost.

I can't see us doing much of anything in the CL as we have been awarded a very difficult group and the team hasn't looked capable of taking much from it.
But domestically we remain more than capable of taking everything all the way.

The season has seen us start slow with a lot of injuries, however, The Filth have had all of their's to pick from.
Things can change.
I’m pretty down about it as you can see. Hope you’re right!

I agree with quite a lot of that .
The football we are playing right now is absolutely honking.
The manager’s inability to change his style will ultimately be his undoing.

They’ll only react when - and it is when, not if - the wheels properly come off and the atmosphere in the stands becomes toxic and when that starts to effect revenues. That will certainly come too late for this season. The majority of fans already know this season is a dead duck in September - unacceptable.

The season is not a dead duck. We need to improve. But it's possible, and we are capable. Gio needs to adapt quickly though.

I’m always left wondering why few of our supporters choose to listen to the discussions about the actual financing of football clubs, including ours.

There was a very good one on here last week that explained in detail why we couldn’t throw tens of millions at players this summer and why the scum still have a clear financial advantage over us despite our run to the EL Final.

I don’t doubt Gub’s undoubted loyalty to our club, but I am afraid he hasn’t quite grasped the full consequences of our almost total collapse and financial rape in the past decade.

We can all chatter about Gio’s tactics with a squad full of injured players. We can also have a decent discussion about our summer signings (particularly those known to struggle with injury) but I’m afaraid I'm not on board any chat about our directors being asleep at the wheel.

Parallel Lines
With regards Parallel Lines, better half and myself are clocking up nearly seventy years each supporting Rangers. Not once have I heard any Board stand up and be Counted, the Presbyterian thing always happens turn the other cheek! As for Jimmy Millar our greatest player, I was there that night when the Boo Boys started, Jimmy had enough turned his bum to them and dropped his pants on them, then there was an outburst of laughter, Jimmy got booked.

Good read. And much to agree with.
Comparisons with Greigs first season are indeed frightening. In some respects 78-79 League was really lost not at Parkhead on that miserable night, but by losing games at Hearts and Motherwell when both teams were miles adrift...and countless other miserable away performances - beating PsV on the Wed, losing th Thistle etc. In those days losing at Parkhead was nothing new, but it was the first, and not the last of some painful performances by Rangers at that venue under Greig.
And that is where Gub rightly reflects on the comparison to where we are now.
Maybe even worse, judging by some home games this season too.

Problem is though , what is to be done? Can Gio change things, forget keeping the zero, and maybe thinking 'winning' or scoring more than your opponents?

All good points about signing injury prone players

In fact , signing playerd who actually add to the ist Xi capability.

We're in for another 78-79, or will it be a 82-83 ! Even worse.

Trying to think pf a season where we turned to around after a really poor start.
My favourite, 72-73 or 77-78 , but both had Jock Wallace (and no Euro success).

Look it has been interesting to see this thread go more or less the same way as the other multitude of threads on the same topic. We have well and truly tore the arse out of it. I mean expressions like "the squad is an utter shambles", where do you even start with that?

The filth have had two weeks of Wednesday / Saturday football and in that time (based on the comments on other threads about how wonderful their squad is), they have tried to use that great squad and the result, they get beat and they have a stinker of a game. It was always going to happen. I think we are more adjusted mentally to the whole Wednesday / Saturday thing. I do agree that Gio needs to adopt a domestic mindset as well as a European mindset. But I think our squad is more than good enough to win this league. We've played just shy of 20% of the games so far, theres a lot of football to be played. On Saturday we started (hopefully) the first team development of King and McCann. Lowry is back training and will be ready soon to stake a claim. The last report I read, Hagi is due back in training soon, he'll probably be ready after the WC. Lawrence will be back, thats 2 forward thinking attacking players now, with one more to come that gives us extra options. The one thing we found out about the filths tactics last season, it comes at a cost and let's see how they cope with an injury or two if their game against St Mirren is anything to go by.

So I'm sorry, hard as I try I just don't buy into all the doom and gloom stuff.

PS - I still haven't read the article, not for any bad reason, but like I said, all I see is the same stuff being recycled repeatedly and a lot of it I just don't agree with.

Last edited:
Jesus, I miss the old Fanzine! 33 years down in England now and the journey in the old days coming back on a Sunday was a festival with FF, Number 1 and the occasional Rangers Historian thrown in.

The Major was brilliant, The Dowanhill Hack was intriguing, comical and incisive. But The Gub, absolute league of his own! Called Murray out when 99% of us were basking. Total legend.

Jesus, I miss the old Fanzine! 33 years down in England now and the journey in the old days coming back on a Sunday was a festival with FF, Number 1 and the occasional Rangers Historian thrown in.

The Major was brilliant, The Dowanhill Hack was intriguing, comical and incisive. But The Gub, absolute league of his own! Called Murray out when 99% of us were basking. Total legend.
Same mate. Loved the fanzine, even wrote a few pieces myself, but the named guys, The Major, Downanhill and The Gub were all great writers. I do miss it.

I don't think I've ever heard him say a positive word about Rangers. Ever. He flourishes when we are struggling.
This, sadly, is like many of the posters on here. They would rather see us lose and prove themselves correct than get behind the team and management and help us succeed.
One of two things are close to being fair to comment but most of it is a pile of crap.

I’ve had a crap week! I’ll edit the post later as you’re correct. There’s realism and there’s negativity and I’ve jumped the shark.
Good man.
It’s far from great right now, but a million miles from the complete shambles some would have us believe.

We do need to kick into gear and soon though, our big players really need to hit their stride.

This thread certainly flushes out the "happy clappers".

No one can deny we have some significant problems, the secret is how the club recognise, address and deal with them.

Some bears would prefer to act before they find themselves in crisis, other seem to wait till it's too late. Pick your side and form an orderly queue in behind.

With regards Parallel Lines, better half and myself are clocking up nearly seventy years each supporting Rangers. Not once have I heard any Board stand up and be Counted, the Presbyterian thing always happens turn the other cheek! As for Jimmy Millar our greatest player, I was there that night when the Boo Boys started, Jimmy had enough turned his bum to them and dropped his pants on them, then there was an outburst of laughter, Jimmy got booked.
It comes to every player that stays the course with us. The only player I think, in my lifetime, not to "get it" from the fans is Brian Laudrup.
Jimmy Millar,Willie Henderson,Bud, Colin Stein,DJ,Gazza,Cooper all got the treatment at one point or another, Christ even John Greig got it.
It comes with the jersey.

This thread certainly flushes out the "happy clappers".

No one can deny we have some significant problems, the secret is how the club recognise, address and deal with them.

Some bears would prefer to act before they find themselves in crisis, other seem to wait till it's too late. Pick your side and form an orderly queue in behind.
No one has. You're totally aware there is a thing in between happy clapping and wrist slitting, right?

Same mate. Loved the fanzine, even wrote a few pieces myself, but the named guys, The Major, Downanhill and The Gub were all great writers. I do miss it.
100% Maida. Guessing from your username you too are south of the border now! Anyhoo, we’re like minded about the old fanzines. Take care of yourself and all the best my friend.

No one has. You're totally aware there is a thing in between happy clapping and wrist slitting, right?
Who mentioned wrist slitting? Certainly wasn't me.

If it gets to wrist slitting levels then those significant problems are miles beyond what anyone has imagined. You would like to think the club would act correctly long before it gets to that stage.

Well said. We have a lot of wee boys who must have the latest toy which has to be bigger and better than the other boys.
As for the club being mismanaged it is probably better managed than any other in Scotland.
If talking about team management there does need to be improvement and hopefully that will come. Gio needs to improve going forward but I expect he knows that and if we could get back Lawrence Hagi and Lowry in midfield I think we would play better football and somehow make room for both Morelos and Colak.
Lot of people out there want to support and get a ST if those who dont like the way its going want to give there seat up. But why not just support the worlds greatest club.

Well said. We have a lot of wee boys who must have the latest toy which has to be bigger and better than the other boys.
As for the club being mismanaged it is probably better managed than any other in Scotland.
If talking about team management there does need to be improvement and hopefully that will come. Gio needs to improve going forward but I expect he knows that and if we could get back Lawrence Hagi and Lowry in midfield I think we would play better football and somehow make room for both Morelos and Colak.
Lot of people out there want to support and get a ST if those who dont like the way its going want to give there seat up. But why not just support the worlds greatest club.
That's the crux of it right there. The majority of our fans are totally incapable of "supporting". The amount of folk who don't open their mouths at Ibrox unless it's to abuse our own players is an absolute fucking joke. I had the misfortune of being punted to CF1 for the CL games and honestly after Napoli have considered selling my next two tickets as I don't think I can physically sit for another 2x90minutes of horrendous personal abuse being fired at Connor Goldson.

Dont think Willie Waddell lost his job i think he passed the job on to Jock Wallace
Waddell moved upstairs to an appointment that was to revolutionise the club. He appointed his understudy Jock Wallace to the Managers position. Wallace went on to be one of the greatest managers in our clubs history.

Parallel Lines
But I cannot get my head around the notion that someone like Gio and the standard of football he has played the game at during his career; you know at CL and WC finals level, allows a non-entity to influence his judgement on what players to bring to the club? It might be how the world revolves now. That doesn’t mean I have to buy a token for the merry-go-round, and suck it up.

Great article from the gub.
This is the stand out thing for me.

Back