Parallel Lines - The Gub lets rip

Got as far as "Looking at the present shambles the club finds itself in" then gave up.

People need to get a fucking grip. Nothing is anywhere near as bad as is being made out. So many fucking entitled gimps in our support these days. Yes there's things that need work, and things that have not gone well, but the club right now is in the best place it's been for a long, long time - possibly ever.
‘Shambles’ is a favourite FF concept. Maybe we now know where it originated.

But I cannot get my head around the notion that someone like Gio and the standard of football he has played the game at during his career; you know at CL and WC finals level, allows a non-entity to influence his judgement on what players to bring to the club? It might be how the world revolves now. That doesn’t mean I have to buy a token for the merry-go-round, and suck it up.

Great article from the gub.
This is the stand out thing for me.
All this shows is that Gub doesn’t understand the relationship of a DoF and manager and even says himself. He’s out of touch.

How is it nonsense?

Do you disagree that the Gub only puts his head above the parapet when we are having a tough time or when he’s got something to complain about? It’s a clear agenda. Look at his post history, it’s full of crackpot statements and OTT reactions.

Gub was giving it tight to Murray in the mid to late 90's when everything in the garden seemed rosy.

I might not agree with everything he says but I'd never question his agenda or desire for making Rangers better.

I can’t remember JG guiding us to a European final, my old memory might be failing me right enough. Not saying GVB the right man for the job but a weird comparison from the mighty Gub. Can’t remember the last time this fella acknowledged anything positive about the club.

Gub was giving it tight to Murray in the mid to late 90's when everything in the garden seemed rosy.

I might not agree with everything he says but I'd never question his agenda or desire for making Rangers better.
It’s 30 years on from the 90s and even then there were times when fans had reason to be posted off. We know he called it out then but that doesn’t mean what he says now is always correct or relevant.

Totally agree with this. I don't agree with a lot of what he says, but he got Murray 100% right and he does love our club. That I don't agree with this is in no way a criticism of him.

It’s 30 years on from the 90s and even then there were times when fans had reason to be posted off. We know he called it out then but that doesn’t mean what he says now is always correct or relevant.
And this is key. He had articles in FF Fanzine when we had no real social media and we were learning something from him and others including Mr Edgar. The world has moved on significantly and he is no longer telling us what we've not been able to see for ourselves. But it's great to know he's still there.

And this is key. He had articles in FF Fanzine when we had no real social media and we were learning something from him and others including Mr Edgar. The world has moved on significantly and he is no longer telling us what we've not been able to see for ourselves. But it's great to know he's still there.
I agree it’s always good to have people like Gub in the fan base as it benefits us to be cynical and question what’s going on.

However, he’s not kept up with the times and it’s lost all effect. Where was the Gub when boys were taking real action against players, boards and owners that disrespected us?

I agree it’s always good to have people like Gub in the fan base as it benefits us to be cynical and question what’s going on.

However, he’s not kept up with the times and it’s lost all effect. Where was the Gub when boys were taking real action against players, boards and owners that disrespected us?
Don't know the answer, but I suspect he was there in whatever capacity he could be. We're both saying the same thing, times have changed, we have more and more bears speaking up which is great.

He was with us every inch of the way.

There are some reasonable points in amongst some hyperbole nonsense. People calling our current situation a disaster or an shambles etc are having a laugh. I agree that we are not being treated to free flowing football, we’re a tough watch and will need to make improvements to have any chance of success this season. I hope some of the new players will settle and start to have an impact too.

However, there are a variety of circumstances that have worked against the manager. He’s been dreadfully unlucky with injuries in key areas and these have come at terrible times for him. The disaster this season was away against them. We were unlucky against Hibs and then dreadful against a quality Ajax team. Otherwise results have been ok with some performances being unimpressive. Hope is not lost but I do think he needs to think about mixing the team up a bit. He seems happy to give youth a chance though and despite the moaning and groaning about it, people like Davis and Arfield are still able to make a significant contribution. It’s not been a brilliant start to the season but it’s also not the unmitigated disaster that is being suggested. As often the case with our support, there is zero balance. All sugar or all shite fc.

Last edited:

You quite clearly know the square root of feck all about the man.

There are some parellel lines at the moment but that does not mean that history is about to repeat itself. It's clear that Gio is not rated in the article. But it is too early to pull the trigger.

The team were weakened with the sales of Aribo and Bassey. Tillman and Lawrence compensate for that in an attacking sense but defensively we are struggling.

The lack of focus on the goalkeeper area is costing us. As is the problem area of the left centre back role due to THREE candidates for that role struggling to get fit. As a result the team is playing more defensively to protect our goal rather than playing up near the other end.

And the unknown of FFP is playing its part in impacting our planning.

He was with us every inch of the way.
Never doubt The Gub and almost all of older FF people who sussed SDM and got savaged for it.
I don’t agree with everything said in the article but much of it is accurate. Comparing Gio to John who was manager almost 40 years ago is a bit strange. I’ve always wished that John had managed a few teams before taking the job with us.
Willie Waddle is probably a better comparison given he struggled domestically but gave us our best ever trophy.
Great to read The Gub again though!

Never doubt The Gub and almost all of older FF people who sussed SDM and got savaged for it.
I don’t agree with everything said in the article but much of it is accurate. Comparing Gio to John who was manager almost 40 years ago is a bit strange. I’ve always wished that John had managed a few teams before taking the job with us.
Willie Waddle is probably a better comparison given he struggled domestically but gave us our best ever trophy.
Great to read The Gub again though!
Waddell!!! Sorry!

How is it nonsense?

Do you disagree that the Gub only puts his head above the parapet when we are having a tough time or when he’s got something to complain about? It’s a clear agenda. Look at his post history, it’s full of crackpot statements and OTT reactions.
Guy is a dinosaur (at best)

The home wins v St J and Ross County were decent, with some great one touch football, but unfortunately don’t fit the narrative here. I‘ll reserve judgement on Gio until Lawrence and Lowry are fit.
St Johnstone & Ross County were "decent".
Says it all really ....St Johnstone & Ross Co.

It’s a bit hyperbolic but there’s certainly truth in most of the points made. Things don’t look good for us just now do they? The manager did brilliantly to get us to a Euro final and bag a trophy but he’s having to live off that to distract from the fact his league form is pitiful.

The fact he’s too stubborn to change his ways and admits that he won’t, coupled with the fact we’ve got a useless DOF, means this situation is highly unlikely to change, ergo it’s highly likely the scum will win the league again. It’s just logic. The fact that the board’s relationship with the fans is now fractured too adds provides another problem for us.

Like I said, it’s definitely a bit hyperbolic and I myself sometimes feel like the gub only springs into action when things are going tits up; but truth is there’s nothing that irks me more than happy clappers who prefer to ignore glaring issues in favour of making excuses or trying to polish a turd. Curiously none of the chief happy clappers have made an appearance in the thread yet.

Doesn't "The Gub" post on here? Why hasn't he commented on anything said in this thread?
He has been a few names over the years, the last one I think was Wee Buds Pit Boots unless he has changed again.

I agree with some of what he says but also think it’s quite a bit over the top as well, it’s not great, but nowhere near as bad as the Gub is making out.

He does love a moan though :))

I think it’s a lot more simplistic than that. We have had an utter disaster of a transfer window. The signings are a complete waste of money injured or limited. We’ve let players go who are better.

If we signed decent players we’d be a bit better.

The manager is also really bad.

However fundamentally the problem has and remains with the fact we have no CEO and leadership on the board. The cycle will repeat.

He has been a few names over the years, the last one I think was Wee Buds Pit Boots unless he has changed again.

I agree with some of what he says but also think it’s quite a bit over the top as well, it’s not great, but nowhere near as bad as the Gub is making out.

He does love a moan though :))
Currently calling a YouTube video a Roman Catholic conspiracy.

Not a fan of Gio/the board but I just find these kind of articles hilarious. Starts writing about our static midfield but then segues into some rant about Jimmy Millar.

Garbage.
Yeah I have issues with the way things are and certainly not a happy clapper. But some of the writings from Gub are ramblings of someone stuck in the past.

Yeah I have issues with the way things are and certainly not a happy clapper. But some of the writings from Gub are ramblings of someone stuck in the past.

"I simply cannot countenance the idea that the atmosphere at the cesspit inhibits or scares our players because if that were indeed true the lot can go and the sooner the better."

It has literally been the case for about 20 years lol. It's why our record is so shite there, and, to a lesser degree, vice versa.

"I simply cannot countenance the idea that the atmosphere at the cesspit inhibits or scares our players because if that were indeed true the lot can go and the sooner the better."

It has literally been the case for about 20 years lol. It's why our record is so shite there, and, to a lesser degree, vice versa.
We went literally a decade without winning there with some club legends in the team. We went the same period of time without winning at Pittodrie.

Winning at the Piggery has always been a struggle, it's why a point there has and always will be a decent result.
He would have genuine club legends out the door because of a poor result. It's toxic, beyond the pale and frankly all it shows is a detachment from reality.

We went literally a decade without winning there with some club legends in the team. We went the same period of time without winning at Pittodrie.

Winning at the Piggery has always been a struggle, it's why a point there has and always will be a decent result.
He would have genuine club legends out the door because of a poor result. It's toxic, beyond the pale and frankly all it shows is a detachment from reality.
The definition of playing the man rather than the ball.

If you're happy and you know it clap your hands.
It's not as black and white as you are making out though. You can be disappointed with some aspects of the club without going as far as saying GVB isn't suited to management full stop when the man has had some good success throughout his career. That is a nonsense statement.

It's not as black and white as you are making out though. You can be disappointed with some aspects of the club without going as far as saying GVB isn't suited to management full stop when the man has had some good success throughout his career. That is a nonsense statement.
I think, and it's only my opinion that the point was he's not suited to management at Rangers.
Could maybe have been more specific.

I think, and it's only my opinion that the point was he's not suited to management at Rangers.
Could maybe have been more specific.
It’s not clear what he meant.

He says in his article that he might be a dinosaur as he doesn’t know how clubs operate these days.

It’s not clear what he meant.

He says in his article that he might be a dinosaur as he doesn’t know how clubs operate these days.
He still knows what works and what doesn't though.
Gio is far too negative to be a successful Rangers manager in my opinion.

He still knows what works and what doesn't though.
Gio is far too negative to be a successful Rangers manager in my opinion.
I'm not disagreeing with criticism of Gio's tactics domestically. My main gripe is that Gub is never anywhere to be seen when things are going well. He thrives when Rangers are struggling. It's like a fanzine version of Arsenal Fans TV.

He clearly doesn't know how the relationship between a manager and DoF works and admits that himself.

I'm not disagreeing with criticism of Gio's tactics domestically. My main gripe is that Gub is never anywhere to be seen when things are going well. He thrives when Rangers are struggling. It's like a fanzine version of Arsenal Fans TV.

He clearly doesn't know how the relationship between a manager and DoF works and admits that himself.
Do any of us?
You're focusing too much on that.
The general thrust of the article is spot on yet you're dissing it because of the author.

What do you want to see on this forum?

Happy Clappers who get all goo-goo when we beat the Ross County's and St Johnstone's of this world.

Or

Posters who articulate their very real concerns over how the club is being run and of how the team/manager is performing.

It's a fans forum which,by nature, will be a vehicle for concerns to be raised more than an appreciation society. Airing those concerns doesn't make you any less of a Rangers supporter.

I'm not hiding the fact I'm playing the man. It's hard not to when the man is writing articles to play up to a character.
Then instead of attacking the man personally, why not write an article with your version of events? Easy to criticise, but harder to do better.

Back