Parallel Lines - The Gub lets rip

The only parallel I see with Greig is the core of the side has been unchanged too long and is getting old together but the cause of that was far more to do with Gerrard than Gio.

There is a coincidence of the decent European run but it’s not anything you can learn from.

As usual Ross Wilson gets too much blame for scouting players. He didn’t even appoint the scouts who recommended the players.

Should have clarified by saying he moved upstairs, but he was no longer in charge of first team matters.

Our league form that year was pretty poor.
Interesting piece which more or less amplifies what very many people are thinking on this forum
Really depressing portrait of where the club is at the moment
However what’s noticeable imo is the piece (unless I’ve missed it which is possible) doesn’t offer solutions
What does GG want the club to do immediately
Sack Gio today ??
I may be clutching at straws but I reckon the key to our domestic season is basically hanging in there and not throwing away points until the WC
It is likely that they would have more players than us taken away to perform in the very hot and debilitating climate
Also the effects of CL fixtures may very well be to the detriment of the dark side returning to domestic fixtures
It would be nice for us to return to a bit of form and play with more freedom

Put it this way I’m not as pessimistic as GG

Hard to argue with much of that.

Although (and this is a very minor takeaway), I don't think Ben Davies had any major injury problems prior to joining us?

The above is an utterly preposterous statement. Whether Gio is good enough for us long term who knows, but to say management full stop is not for him? One of the most stupid things I've ever read.
Just about what I was going to post mate. But about par for the course om here.
WE are in the CL and within touching distance of the scum. If that a shambles clearly some just dont know what a shambles is.
WE can still go forward in Europe although not easy and can win the league which may well prove to be not that difficult having seen the scums last game.

A bit lengthy. Could have been summed up in far fewer paragraphs.

I agree with the point about us showing also ran SPFL sides too much respect.

Meekness wins you nothing in Scotland.

We should be playing with two up front in every league game against these sides and playing one touch football.

If we start doing that, we'll devastate these teams and have matches wrapped up by half time.

As it is, we continue to make mountains out of molehill fixtures.
Its not so much 2 up front. It's the negative midfield that is the issue.

WE are in the CL and within touching distance of the scum. If that a shambles clearly some just dont know what a shambles is.
WE can still go forward in Europe although not easy and can win the league which may well prove to be not that difficult having seen the scums last game.
Are you actually watching our games?

Parallel Lines
Pretty Dam accurate unfortunately, Kind of really worry’s me now too, How the %^*& did we end up in this place, After the amazing times we had just had round the corner.

Pig Sick!

The above is an utterly preposterous statement. Whether Gio is good enough for us long term who knows, but to say management full stop is not for him? One of the most stupid things I've ever read.
I get the feeling he means management of a club like us. He might be perfectly useful at a club where he’s allowed to develop youth without risk, bow to the signings given to him by a DoF and lose heavily in matches, but not here.

I agree , he's already won trophies with Feyenoord and us , to say management is not for him is wrong.

Absolutely no idea why the Gub is revered on here. Talks an absolute power of shite.
Feel free to point out the "power of shite" in the article.

It is well written, factual and absolutely bang on the money as well as aligned with a great many on here's current feelings.

If you don't agree with it why not give us your alternative opinion to what you term a "power of shite".

As for why the Gub is revered on here - Not trying to be his agent but anyone who knows or has met the guy over the many years he has been around FF will all confirm his love for the club, his knowledge of our history and that the words he pushes out come from deep within him.

There is also the small matter of him being proved correct over and over again despite it being difficult to swallow sometimes.

For revered read respected.

It is well written, factual and absolutely bang on the money as well as aligned with a great many on here's current feelings.

If you don't agree with it why not give us your alternative opinion to what you term a "power of shite".

As for why the Gub is revered on here - Not trying to be his agent but anyone who knows or has met the guy over the many years he has been around FF will all confirm his love for the club, his knowledge of our history and that the words he pushes out come from deep within him.

There is also the small matter of him being proved correct over and over again despite it being difficult to swallow sometimes.

Bang on Del.

Reactions: Del
Usual angry stuff from the Gub.
I agree with his observations on our appeasement of the yahoo's.
I remember the Greig era well and attended many of the matches during that time. Gordon Smith missed a great chance away in Cologne,then we had Billy Urquhart at centre forward in the delayed return at Ibrox. Greigs tactics in this run saw Sandy Jardine play as a sweeper behind a man marking back 3. Sandy would go on to play this role in a successful Hearts side.
The comparisons with Gios tactics in Europe are valid.
Also Greigs team, many of the players were coming to end of successful Rangers careers. Ditto many of Gios team.
I think Gios team peaked last season and we lost two of our best players in Aribo and Bassey. Our youngsters are promising but will need time to mature into first team regulars.
Then we have the role of Ross Wilson.
The goalkeeping situation is dreadful. McCrorie out of contract at the end of the season. Kent and Morelos in the last year of their contracts. New signings have made little or no impact. Add in the perennialy injured Souttar,this has disaster written all over it.
Like Greig,Gios future will be decided by our league form. At least Greig wasn't hampered by a useless DoF.
I haven't given up on Gio just yet, but the signs are ominous.

A wee bit optimistic here.
The league is, undoubtedly, still winnable but, progression in Europe is highly unlikely.

I’m talking about the content rather than the author. The content is pretty spot on there.
Anybody who has read the Gub, Peter’s Scarf or Wee bud’s boots posts over the years, will know what to have expected as soon as they seen the thread topic.
It’ll be up to GvB to prove him/them wrong.

Anyone expecting this side to finish anywhere other than fourth is our group is kidding themselves. We have three top teams in opposition.
Totally agree.
Only I’d have said “expected” .
From as soon as the draw was made.
It isn’t beyond the realms of possibility that the three above us do very well in the two tournaments.

A well written piece but for me it’s a bit hysterical given where we currently are. No question we’ve been having a poor spell against decent teams recently and need to get ourselves out of that quickly. However, we are still in every tournament we’ve entered.

Gub may be 100% right but I don’t think there’s enough evidence of that yet. October is crucial with a ridiculous number of games and it will make or break our season and GVBs Rangers career. I’ll wait until then before reaching for the pitchfork.

Decent piece, and accurate. Surprised the word 'yahoo' wasn't (edited) included more than twice though :D
The accuracy didn’t extend to getting the name of the European competition we were in the final of last season correct.

What was it that saw Greig eventually resign ? Was it pressure from the support or the board finally losing faith in him ?

In terms of Gio I don't see any appetite at all from the board in terms of binning him. Neither do I see things getting quite as bad that we'll see protests in the stand or outside the main door.

The fear is we move along, playing second fiddle to Celtic but miles ahead of the rest of them. Picking up a few cups and Gio taking more scalps in the Europa League.

The article is either here nor there. I’m commenting on the fact he goes in to hibernation when things are going well.

He got some things right in the 90s and has lived off it since then. It’s constantly old man yells at cloud stuff.

A well written piece but for me it’s a bit hysterical given where we currently are. No question we’ve been having a poor spell against decent teams recently and need to get ourselves out of that quickly. However, we are still in every tournament we’ve entered.

Gub may be 100% right but I don’t think there’s enough evidence of that yet. October is crucial with a ridiculous number of games and it will make or break our season and GVBs Rangers career. I’ll wait until then before reaching for the pitchfork.
A wee bit of a cop out though, is it not?
Fingers crossed you're right and we turn it around but given our away form in particular and our form in general I think Gub's concerns are more than valid.

Fair comparison with Greig’s first season, really sounds like a case of deja vu unless Gio can manage to get these players to get their fingers out.

A wee bit of a cop out though, is it not?
Fingers crossed you're right and we turn it around but given our away form in particular and our form in general I think Gub's concerns are more than valid.
I don’t think so. We have a number of injuries to deal with and I don’t think we are actually playing as badly as some people think. Pulling the trigger now before a 10 game run is madness. GVB deserves the chance to show he can turn this around and, frankly, he’s going to get it regardless of what we think anyway.

I don't think I've ever heard him say a positive word about Rangers. Ever. He flourishes when we are struggling.
I went through a period of thinking like that about The Gub… couldn’t see what enjoyment he got out of Rangers at all.

Then over time it dawned on me that he was very shrewd at reading between the lines; and had an incredible knowledge of Rangers to draw parallels with.

I wouldn’t say he flourishes when we are struggling.. I’d say that he has impressive clarity though.

I don’t think so. We have a number of injuries to deal with and I don’t think we are actually playing as badly as some people think. Pulling the trigger now before a 10 game run is madness. GVB deserves the chance to show he can turn this around and, frankly, he’s going to get it regardless of what we think anyway.
He’s had nearly a year so far and has shown no progress in the league at all. How long does he get? This isn’t a reaction to a couple of bad results, it’s a reaction to a year of shite football in the league and a really poor away record.

People said “let him get his own players in and he can be judged” well he’s made 7 signings plus made 4 in January and all of his signings barely featured. Colak, Lawrence and Tillman being the only 3 from 11 signings that have made any kind of contribution through either being poor, injured or Gio just not playing them.

Interesting and eloquent read from The Gub.
Has The Gub jumped the gun in his prognosis?
I hope so and of course, like him, I hope his humble pie is served cold with lashings of vinegar.

Nonetheless, all of the points made are fairly relevant because they have all bubbled up on here in recent weeks, The Gub has just parcelled them up into one long miserable stream of thoughtful verisimility.

If I was in a jury room, I have to admit, I would still be listening to all the arguments and demanding more sandwiches and tea.
Let us hope Gio has made good use of the break!

He is, of that there's no doubt.
Wether it's the right call, is another matter altogether.
In my opinion we','ve played well no more than four times this season and that',s being generous. Ross Co, PSV×2 and Napoli. The other performances have been a mixture of turgid and downright shameful (Celtic & Ajax).
Our away form under Gio has been disastrous, no other word for it.
I honestly don't see it changing, but time will tell

The article is either here nor there. I’m commenting on the fact he goes in to hibernation when things are going well.

He got some things right in the 90s and has lived off it since then. It’s constantly old man yells at cloud stuff.
Furfuxake man, let it go. Did the Gub cut your grass?

I really want Gio to succeed, just as I did Greig, but this post millennial earnestness with managerial philosophies is really beginning to do my nut in.

My own embryonic Rangers memories revolve around John Greig, firstly when he skippered us to a treble in his final season and then when he swapped his strip for a suit to sit in the dugout immediately afterwards so I’ll admit they are a bit fuzzy, but I don’t remember him being as stubbornly wedded to any ‘philosophy’ as Gio and indeed Gerrard are / were.

Back then you did whatever you needed to do to win. If your 4-4-2 wasn’t working you either changed the personnel or you changed the formation. If your mercurial winger was consistently under performing, you dropped him. Ditto your striker or your central defender. If you needed to play kids, you did that too. Winning was the only philosophy you needed to bother about.

Ultimately it didn’t work out for Greig because as The Gub says he just wasn’t cut out for management, and maybe that’s true of Gio too, but he could help himself no end by at least showing a bit of humility and ditching the Kierkegaard and Sartre to start doing whatever it takes to get results on the pitch.

If not, he’ll probably go the same way as his predecessor, and it won’t take anywhere near as long.

Back