Partick financial problems

Attendance records for the Highland League are not available. What is available is an abundance of articles from the time, and some from a recent suggestion that Caley and Ross County should merge, that highlight the feelings of fans where clubs merge:

Fans of the 2 former clubs have little interest in the merged team. And they've done very little to secure new fans.
So that's not any evidence of a decrease whatsoever?

Attendance records for the Highland League are not available. What is available is an abundance of articles from the time, and some from a recent suggestion that Caley and Ross County should merge, that highlight the feelings of fans where clubs merge:

Fans of the 2 former clubs have little interest in the merged team. And they've done very little to secure new fans.
From the article I posted above....

Despite the undoubted success of Inverness, there remains some hardcore fans who feel the union should never have taken place. Bannerman, though, feels the dissenters have become largely an irrelevance.

“They could hold their agms in a phonebox,” he added. “When Caley and Thistle were in the Highland League, between them they were getting crowds of around 600. When ICT were in the SPL, their average gate was about 4000. That tells its own story. Aside from relegation last season, the whole thing has been a huge success.”

Funnily enough, I was actually talking to the Caley fan in work about this a couple of weeks ago, he only knows one person who stopped going and fell away from football. Said the crowd he'd be going to Hampden with were the same guys he watched Caledonian with in the Highland League.

You get the feeling they are a club out of time yeah they tried this to get youngsters but that’s like the golf club tactic of too little too late .

What could help them massively is top league membership and not being relegated every few years but that would take a 16 or 18 team league I think .

I’ve no animosity towards PT generally but equally I wouldn’t give them any direct support either . That’s what they all wanted in 2012 isn’t it each to there own a sort of Thatcherite policy . And that’s what they have .
Too little too late? They've been giving free entry to under 16s since 2008.

From the article I posted above....

Despite the undoubted success of Inverness, there remains some hardcore fans who feel the union should never have taken place. Bannerman, though, feels the dissenters have become largely an irrelevance.

“They could hold their agms in a phonebox,” he added. “When Caley and Thistle were in the Highland League, between them they were getting crowds of around 600. When ICT were in the SPL, their average gate was about 4000. That tells its own story. Aside from relegation last season, the whole thing has been a huge success.”

Funnily enough, I was actually talking to the Caley fan in work about this a couple of weeks ago, he only knows one person who stopped going and fell away from football. Said the crowd he'd be going to Hampden with were the same guys he watched Caledonian with in the Highland League.

To be fair ICT represented Inverness in the Scottish League, so they had the city's pride behind them. But who's Partick Thistle going to merge with? What would they stand for?

To be fair ICT represented Inverness in the Scottish League, so they had the city's pride behind them. But who's Partick Thistle going to merge with? What would they stand for?
I'm not arguing for Thistle to merge mate, I'm countering the idea that nobody would back a club that merged.

Inverness are undoubtedly the biggest example of a merger in Scotland and it is without question that it has been successful.

Not all their support hate us . The ones that shout loudest absolutely do ( join the queue ). They are the ones that hate us most and because of the bile and bitterness they will never admit that Rangers are the only show in town. Deep down in their maggot invested brain they know without the Rangers, Partick Thistle and the rest of Scottish football is truly fcuked.

08986f61-73f9-4e44-9321-337ece8ee4ed_text.gif

What happened to all that lottery money from their winning fan ? Thought they were set up for a good few years.
£1 million into a trust for benefit of the youth academy.

Got a stand named in his honour and then things went wrong.

His wife shagged the gardener and left him. It was all downhill after that.

Also gifted at least £3 million to the SNP so I find it hard to sympathise with the serial fool.

Thousands of Bears went to Thistle home games when we were away during one of the Lambie reigns in the 80’s.

So even if they do scrape enough money, probably just another crisis in 5 or 10 years. Maybe it would be the best to let nature take its course, they could build a nice retail park or something on the ground.

Last edited:
Would be great for us to buy the stadium and use it for our B team/ woman‘s team. No sympathy for them. Only teams I would have sympathy for are the ones that didn’t vote to shaft us in 2012.
Buy the whole thing & play our reserves & development team as the jags. That way we can develop our own ready for first team players & not have that gap between youth & first team we have at the moment.

So that's not any evidence of a decrease whatsoever?

It shows the local feeling towards the merger.

They cracked 5000 once. They had a few seasons in the 4000s. Beyond that they've struggled for fans. The locals just don't want to support Caley.

In the past I would have agreed - but the standard has dropped so significantly, I see little difference in the bottom half of the premier league, to the championship. And I assume the bottom half of the championship is as bad as the league below.

Need to relaunch Scottish football and a bigger top league should be part of that.
What about a total reset with a championship with 20 odd teams, keep the prem the same and that’s it. (Too many senior clubs taking a cut that offer nothing to the wider game). That would increase the funding to many in the new championship and not reduce any quality in the prem?

I’d also reserve 4 spots for teams in the championship who are willing to merge from the 1st and 2nd division. Have a big knock out tournament to see which of the lucky few from the bottom 2 divisions get a spot in the championship (Hunger games style- as soon as you are knocked, out the bulldozers are waiting to demolish your shitty park).

Job done, Scottish football saved, announce me as the new head of the SPFL!

Buy the whole thing & play our reserves & development team as the jags. That way we can develop our own ready for first team players & not have that gap between youth & first team we have at the moment.
Is there not a rule about owning more than one team in the same football association?

What about a total reset with a championship with 20 odd teams, keep the prem the same and that’s it. (Too many senior clubs taking a cut that offer nothing to the wider game). That would increase the funding to many in the new championship and not reduce any quality in the prem?

I’d also reserve 4 spots for teams in the championship who are willing to merge from the 1st and 2nd division. Have a big knock out tournament to see which of the lucky few from the bottom 2 divisions get a spot in the championship (Hunger games style- as soon as you are knocked, out the bulldozers are waiting to demolish your shitty park).

Job done, Scottish football saved, announce me as the new head of the SPFL!
Teams merging is an emotive issue but I think it will become inevitable over time if there is a true appetite to improve the overall game - Ground sharing too.

A total reset would need to be more though imo and centre on the top division.

'Seed Money' would need to come from somewhere if the landscape is to change though. The OF propping up the rest is as damaging to us as it is to the diddies.

They cracked 5000 once. They had a few seasons in the 4000s. Beyond that they've struggled for fans. The locals just don't want to support Caley.
Are you just ignoring the post that says those diddy teams could barely muster up 500 each?

4000 is roughly 12% of the population of Inverness.
For comparisons sake, it would be like Dumbarton playing to almost 2000 every week.

Do the locals not want to support Dumbarton?

10 SPL clubs voted against the transfer of the SPL share. Kilmarnock abstained.

29 SFL clubs agreed to associate membership of the SFL. One club didn't. Might have been Clyde but don't quote me on it.

25 SFL clubs agreed to allow us into the Third Division.

4000 is roughly 12% of the population of Inverness.
For comparisons sake, it would be like Dumbarton playing to almost 2000 every week.

Do the locals not want to support Dumbarton?
It's impressive that he makes the same point every time but just ignores how much of a shite one it is.

Pre 2012 I would have wished them well. Post 2012 and the political escalation in 2014 I hope they go bust with a lot of pain and suffering.

The thin line between success and failure, a secure future and an uncertain one.

Lucky for them Rangers saved them.

I know a couple of thistle fans, both good people.

£1 million into a trust for benefit of the youth academy.

Got a stand named in his honour and then things went wrong.

His wife shagged the gardener and left him. It was all downhill after that.

Also gifted at least £3 million to the SNP so I find it hard to sympathise with the serial fool.

Thousands of Bears went to Thistle home games when we were away during one of the Lambie reigns in the 80’s.
One of those was me.

Had a soft spot for them then and also in the 90s as had a mate at the time who was Thistle daft. Also contributed to the save the jags in the late 90s and early 00s.
2012.....%^*& them. No sympathy from me.

The thin line between success and failure, a secure future and an uncertain one.

Lucky for them Rangers saved them.

I know a couple of thistle fans, both good people.
The wider support who are decent should call out the younger tadgers.

They don't.

Alan Caldwell is one of their directors or at least was. A snivelling nationalist, Gers hating weasel of a guy.

Hope he's proud of the mess they are in.
Fud

If all the media goons and luvvies that said they supported them chucked in a £50 note each they’d be absolutely fine.

Back