** Partick v Rangers - Match Thread - BT Sports **

DocStone

Administrator
Staff member
IEaR1yt.png

Last edited:
Please tell me that it is on Rangers TV? If I have to listen to that biased Sutton and idiotic Butcher again, I will put a brick through the TV!

First game of the season to me. Absolutely buzzing. Only managed a couple of games a season the past few years. Hoping to change that this time. If I can get to 10 games I'll be chuffed.

As an aside, I'm driving tomorrow. Was going to park somewhere off GWR. Round about Mount St? Anyone know what parking is like round about there, don't have much knowledge of it.

I'll take any form of win first and foremost to get 3 points. Being selfish I'd like to see a clean sheet, 0-3 win and Pena get a good run out.

Not sure, I am based in South Africa and couldn't get the RTV for the Ross County match and ended up listening to Sutton and Butcher.

Think they are mate.

I actually think Butcher's pandering, I'm a recovering bigot' act is worse than dicks like Sutton. At least Sutton doesn't hide who he is. A Tim that hates us us hardly groundbreaking.

Pricks like Butcher should never be allowed through the doors of Ibrox again.

First time in nearly 18 months that we're going into a game and I'm certain we will win.

Shows we are improving.

I was confident that after the Hibs game we would go out and smash Hearts. Sadly we didn't and the performance was poor.

Our away league record under Pedro Caixinha is good, unbeaten - 5 or 6 wins.

A lot more confident of going to Fir Hill and winning that what I was last season. It won't be easy though.

2-1 Rangers.

I think we will win comfortably. Thistle are not performing very well.

Not actually true. They don't have a lot of points but have played well by all accounts.

Lost by one goal to Celtic, Aberdeen and St Johnstone. Should have had a draw V The Tims (late Stone wall penalty denied) and lost a late goal to Aberdeen to lose 4-3. Also thumped St Johnstone away in.the Cup.

I'm confident we will win, but I don't think it will be easy. Hope you are right though.

heart says we're winning 4-1

Head says a bit of a slog against a packed defence, and coming away with 3 points after a 1 - 0 win

Don't think it will be as easy as some think. I'll go for 2-1 with a nail biting end again

A win is all that matters with the mentally challengeds and sheep having easy home games.

Liek others have said a win first and foremost but I'd like a clean sheet and game time for Pena and Herrera

2-0 to us, Morelos and Windass

Normally haven't been confident in awhile but we've actually performed well the last couple of games and hopefully given us some belief to tie up these sort of games, out away record is also better than our home.

Thistle have been gash but as usual, their levels will be cup final performance against us.

Hope Miller / Kranjcar are benched for an impressive Windass and I'd fancy Pena to start behind Morelos. Otherwise business as usual.

Hoping for a good quick start AND finishing it off early too.
Partick are another team we should be looking at as a guaranteed 3 points.

Will be a tough game. Even though they only have 1 point every game has been very tight.

Hopefully manage to break them down early and run out comfortable winners.

First away game of the season for me so can't wait.

hard game on fri our bus doesnt run to firhill so its car then subway from partick to st georges cross.

Looking forward to finishing work at my scheduled time and up GWR, to either Inn Deep or Coopers for a few pre-match pints.

2-0 to us. Morelos to score one. And I will think Pena will score again. But a harder game than it might look on paper.

e: I want to add that although this is just a game against thistle, in the last few weeks my enthusiasm has increased in line with the slow but steady improvements we're starting to show. I know it kind of goes without saying, but I hope this is the start of our climb back to the top.

Last edited:
Partick are not as bad as their league position would indicate. They've been unlucky in that they've played all the top teams in the league, and they really should have more points than they do, going down to injury time goals and being denied blatant penalties. We cannot take them lightly tomorrow.

will be a very tough game in a venue we huffed and puffed at twice last season.
Thistle should have more points than they are on currently. They should have got at least a point v the Hordes of Hades

will be a very tough game in a venue we huffed and puffed at twice last season.
Thistle should have more points than they are on currently. They should have got at least a point v the Hordes of Hades

They should have in terms of the penalty incident.

However, I made a point of watching that game to see what shape the mhanks were in and it was the biggest 1-0 humping I'd ever seen.

I'll take any kind of win right now. It's absolutely vital for going into the scum match that we win both games against Patrick.

What everyone's thoughts on team selection and set-up?

My selection would be:

Wes
Tav Cardoso Alves Wallace
Rossiter Dorrans jack
Candeias Morelos Windass

Even though we won 4-1 at the weekend, on a couple of occasions we were horribly exposed and open in the middle, and a better side could've punished us.

A middle three of Rossiter, Dorrans and jack should make us more solid and allow the wide players (candeias and Windass) to have more focus on attacking and supporting Morelos.

It's also a set-up that I'd like to see tried/tested before we get to the 23rd.

My selection would be:

Wes
Rossiter Dorrans jack
Candeias Morelos Windass

Even though we won 4-1 at the weekend, on a couple of occasions we were horribly exposed and open in the middle, and a better side could've punished us.

A middle three of Rossiter, Dorrans and jack should make us more solid and allow the wide players (candeias and Windass) to have more focus on attacking and supporting Morelos.

It's a line up that just seems fairly obvious to everyone.

And, without getting carried away, relative to SPL standard is a pretty strong looking team.

It should be Pena in for Miller and Windass in for Niko but I doubt Pedro will drop Miller. Just hope we can by 5 goals to go top for a little while

My selection would be:

Wes
Rossiter Dorrans jack
Candeias Morelos Windass

Far too defensive for a game vs Partick thistle

My selection would be:

Wes
Rossiter Dorrans jack
Candeias Morelos Windass

^This is the way to go I feel to get the best out of what we have-Dorrans is better further forward,Pena's not ready for full games,and playing Rossiter and Jack together could help make up for our fullbacks defensive frailties at times.
And when we don't have the ball we have three central midfielders to win the ball back rather than being outnumbered a lot of the time.

I agree that playing two holding mids versus Thistle isn't necessary, but I think we need to get familiar with this for the scum game
We can cross that bridge when we come to it, focus on the game that's in front of us. No point in focusing on them and taking the eye off the ball with this game because we could potentially drop more points

It should be Pena in for Miller and Windass in for Niko but I doubt Pedro will drop Miller. Just hope we can by 5 goals to go top for a little while

Judging by Pedro's presser yesterday I would be very suprised if Pena starts.

Josh for Kranjcar will probably be the only change.

Looking forward to the game.

I think we'll win, but nobody gets an easy game up there.

2-0 to the Teddies.

Judging by Pedro's presser yesterday I would be very suprised if Pena starts.

Josh for Kranjcar will probably be the only change.

Looking forward to the game.

I think we'll win, but nobody gets an easy game up there.

2-0 to the Teddies.
Yea I'm not sure Pena will start either but Waldo did say there was a slight change of system so that kinda makes me think we might try a 4231 with Pena at CAM

Back