Passing of 47Blue

Sorry to hear about your loss mate. The way it went from the highs of Seville to todays lows in such short order is heartbreaking. I’m feeling a lot of the same emotions myself at the moment.

Our family lost Ian McBeth this week, happily went on the Fallin bus home and away for as long as I know, until mobility issues stopped him a few years ago. His death was quite unexpected, I wish I had a Seville or a recent trip to remember but I’ve mainly got regrets. He gave me all my interests and he loved the Rangers more than anything after family. I only realised recently he was probably the biggest male influence in my life and I wish I’d told him how much he meant to me. I think I was embarrassed but whatever the stupid reason I’ll regret it forever.

I got his name put on the wall of the new museum but I never told him because I wanted to take him out for the day as a surprise when it opened. I’ve got the certificate sat there with his name on it and I feel like greetin whenever look at it. He would have loved to know a part of him would live on amongst the bricks near Ibrox. It’ll be a bittersweet day for me when it finally opens.

If anyone remembers him raise a wee dram in his memory, along with Jim

@FrazzGers sorry for loss mate. Don’t make that last morning the overriding memory feeling of your dad. It’s nothing compared to everything else you did.

Rest easy 47Blue

Sorry for your loss FrazzGers.
Hold your head high mate, cherish all those great memories you and your Dad made together and try take some comfort in knowing that your Dad is at peace now.
Rest easy 47Blue.

Condolences FrazzGers, that was one of the saddest and most uplifting posts I've ever read on the forum.

I'm so sorry to hear your dad's story and all that he went through. But you have so many special memories and I'm sure they'll sustain you in the long term.

I hope this story gains greater traction and that the mental health issues you've so sadly shared with us are addressed by those who can improve this neglected aspect of health care.

don't feel guilty mate, it's the last thing your dad would want. Cherish the wonderful memories and live your life to the fullest.
RIP

Sorry for your loss also Jacko55, RIP

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in and feel free to move it Admin, however it's just a post to pay tribute to my Dad, Jim (47Blue), who passed away last Thursday at the age of 64.

He was a lifelong bluenose like my Grandad and one of the greatest gifts he gave to me was passing down the love of Rangers, taking me to the games with my Grandad starting in the 90s. The routine was to get up, watch Football Italia, drive to my Gran's for a fry up, and stop by the City Centre where I'd be sent into the pub to fetch my Grandpa before we went to Ibrox. Together we went through the numerous highs and lows of supporting the famous, and quite often disagreed on a lot of things when it came to Rangers, most recently his "Sakala would never be out my team" stance. How he shone for the man from Zambia. He was also a frequent poster on here and also just as frequently joined the banned list given his, shall we say, unbending nature. After all, his namesake was the famous Presbyterian Minister, aka "the short man who would not bow".

I was lucky enough to take him to Seville last year, along with my best mate, after striking it lucky in the UEFA ballot. Although the result didn't go our way, he couldn't stop talking to my auntie, uncle and I about how much he loved the trip, whether it be the trains, planes and automobiles journey, the stay in Cordoba or the game itself. That trip will forever live with me to my dying day, until I join him and we can look back upon it together.

Diagnosed with a brain tumour last year, he underwent a brain operation in October which led to a minor stroke in February. Since then he struggled badly with his mental health and tried to take his own life 2 weeks ago. He was taken up to hospital and discharged, however last week, at the second attempt took his own life, which has utterly devastated everyone around him including family, friends and neighbours.

While this post is mainly a tribute to the auld boy, I also want to reiterate what so many people on this board say, particularly in the Depression Help Thread in The Lounge. If you're feeling like you genuinely cannot go on, please talk to someone and tell them how you genuinely feel.

With regards to the support he got from the NHS, during his stay in the hospital it was first class, however after being discharged I can't even begin to describe how badly he was let down. The support for mental health in this country is a disgrace and if you are in a similar situation like we were, waiting on the NHS providing support, please don't be relying on it coming in time.

For the people that have to deal with a loved one who has depression or is suicidal, give them everything you have, whether it be attention, hugs, someone to cry to, whatever. As I said previously, although you may be assured by the NHS that they will give all the help that is needed, please don't assume this is the case and ensure you're giving it your utmost attention until the right support is in place.

When my Dad was struggling, I just didn't understand what he was going through and often got frustrated with the situation, assuming that the professionals would be dealing with it. I stayed with him for a few nights in the lead up to Thursday and unfortunately I left on the Wednesday morning as I had to be in the office and I can't remember my last words to him or if I hugged him before I left.

The guilt that I feel just now will never leave me, and if I can even pass this message to one person I hope it makes a difference and they won't have to deal with this. Mental health is no joke, depression is as bad as a heart attack, cancer etc. in that it is life threatening, and if a loved one is going through it, please be understanding and give them all the support you can. I know it can be difficult with finding time with work or other matters that are going on, and I was in the same boat, but work can wait and you can get another job, but I can never replace my Dad.

To my Dad, a good bluenose, but above all an outstanding father, brother and uncle, and the best of the best, you'll be missed.
So very sorry to hear this. In fact I’m shedding a few tears as I type this.

I had the good fortune to meet your dad once, him and I started conversing through FF and I bought some programmes from him, stopping by his house on a visit back to Scotland a few years back. Even on a single visit, I could tell what a good guy he was. We continued conversing, my last message to him was on Christmas Day.

My heart is with you.

RIP Jim

Sorry for your loss @FrazzGers

I would be confident to say that you would have hugged your dad and told him you loved him when you left that day. In the absence of knowing otherwise, you should choose to believe you did. No point torturing yourself about something you cannot remember.

Rest easy 47Blue.

Don’t be hard on yourself mate as your Dad wouldn’t want you to feel any guilt as life needed to go on, sleep tight brother Jim

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in and feel free to move it Admin, however it's just a post to pay tribute to my Dad, Jim (47Blue), who passed away last Thursday at the age of 64.

He was a lifelong bluenose like my Grandad and one of the greatest gifts he gave to me was passing down the love of Rangers, taking me to the games with my Grandad starting in the 90s. The routine was to get up, watch Football Italia, drive to my Gran's for a fry up, and stop by the City Centre where I'd be sent into the pub to fetch my Grandpa before we went to Ibrox. Together we went through the numerous highs and lows of supporting the famous, and quite often disagreed on a lot of things when it came to Rangers, most recently his "Sakala would never be out my team" stance. How he shone for the man from Zambia. He was also a frequent poster on here and also just as frequently joined the banned list given his, shall we say, unbending nature. After all, his namesake was the famous Presbyterian Minister, aka "the short man who would not bow".

I was lucky enough to take him to Seville last year, along with my best mate, after striking it lucky in the UEFA ballot. Although the result didn't go our way, he couldn't stop talking to my auntie, uncle and I about how much he loved the trip, whether it be the trains, planes and automobiles journey, the stay in Cordoba or the game itself. That trip will forever live with me to my dying day, until I join him and we can look back upon it together.

Diagnosed with a brain tumour last year, he underwent a brain operation in October which led to a minor stroke in February. Since then he struggled badly with his mental health and tried to take his own life 2 weeks ago. He was taken up to hospital and discharged, however last week, at the second attempt took his own life, which has utterly devastated everyone around him including family, friends and neighbours.

While this post is mainly a tribute to the auld boy, I also want to reiterate what so many people on this board say, particularly in the Depression Help Thread in The Lounge. If you're feeling like you genuinely cannot go on, please talk to someone and tell them how you genuinely feel.

With regards to the support he got from the NHS, during his stay in the hospital it was first class, however after being discharged I can't even begin to describe how badly he was let down. The support for mental health in this country is a disgrace and if you are in a similar situation like we were, waiting on the NHS providing support, please don't be relying on it coming in time.

For the people that have to deal with a loved one who has depression or is suicidal, give them everything you have, whether it be attention, hugs, someone to cry to, whatever. As I said previously, although you may be assured by the NHS that they will give all the help that is needed, please don't assume this is the case and ensure you're giving it your utmost attention until the right support is in place.

When my Dad was struggling, I just didn't understand what he was going through and often got frustrated with the situation, assuming that the professionals would be dealing with it. I stayed with him for a few nights in the lead up to Thursday and unfortunately I left on the Wednesday morning as I had to be in the office and I can't remember my last words to him or if I hugged him before I left.

The guilt that I feel just now will never leave me, and if I can even pass this message to one person I hope it makes a difference and they won't have to deal with this. Mental health is no joke, depression is as bad as a heart attack, cancer etc. in that it is life threatening, and if a loved one is going through it, please be understanding and give them all the support you can. I know it can be difficult with finding time with work or other matters that are going on, and I was in the same boat, but work can wait and you can get another job, but I can never replace my Dad.

To my Dad, a good bluenose, but above all an outstanding father, brother and uncle, and the best of the best, you'll be missed.
Sorry for your loss .

Sorry to hear about your loss mate. The way it went from the highs of Seville to todays lows in such short order is heartbreaking. I’m feeling a lot of the same emotions myself at the moment.

Our family lost Ian McBeth this week, happily went on the Fallin bus home and away for as long as I know, until mobility issues stopped him a few years ago. His death was quite unexpected, I wish I had a Seville or a recent trip to remember but I’ve mainly got regrets. He gave me all my interests and he loved the Rangers more than anything after family. I only realised recently he was probably the biggest male influence in my life and I wish I’d told him how much he meant to me. I think I was embarrassed but whatever the stupid reason I’ll regret it forever.

I got his name put on the wall of the new museum but I never told him because I wanted to take him out for the day as a surprise when it opened. I’ve got the certificate sat there with his name on it and I feel like greetin whenever look at it. He would have loved to know a part of him would live on amongst the bricks near Ibrox. It’ll be a bittersweet day for me when it finally opens.

If anyone remembers him raise a wee dram in his memory, along with Jim

Great post as well mate, I think everyone who loses family and close friends, wish they'd said more to them, to let them know how they felt about them. Don't tear yourself apart, we're all different and deal with things in our own way.

I think everyone will see how much Ian meant to you with what you did for him in regards to the New Museum, as you said, 'he would have loved it'. Just keep that thought and hopefully it'll help get you through.

It's a difficult time for both the OP, 'FrazzGers' and yourself at present, but just keep in mind 'all the good times', as these are the ones that help us cope, as time goes on.

Ian's influence on you has obviously been very positive, as you've shown by your actions, you never know, he was maybe more aware of your relationship than you realise.

RIP Ian, condolences to all family and friends.

I honestly can’t thank you all enough for your kind messages folks, both on the thread and through private messages. My auntie, uncle and wee cousin came over the the girlfriend and I’s flat yesterday for dinner and drinks. They were all blown away and touched by the reaction on here. We had a good feed and laugh thinking about the auld boy and they left his dog, Sandy, with us for the weekend. I’ll let you guess who my Dad named him after.

Looking forward to the game today where I’ll be sat in his seat. I’m sure I’ll be a bubbling mess when I get through the turnstiles. For those that are there or are watching today with family or friends, make sure and treasure these routine league games with them as you never know when it’ll be the last time. And also stick a bit of money on Sakala to score first given his fondness for him!

Devastating news

Brilliant and emotive post, mate

What a sad, poignant and heartbreaking post.
So sorry for your loss.
Try to remember the happy times and do not focus on guilt.
When you’re not qualified in such a complex condition it is very difficult to know what to do.

Back