Passing out from the back

Papasmurf

Official Ticketer
Since they’ve changed the goal kick rules, clubs have really taken this to a mental degree. Passes around the 18 yard box and getting in trouble seems to be common place.

Is it just me that thinks this new tactic is mental?

Yes it creates a bit of space further up but the risks are really, really high.

Honestly don’t see much point in it

It means teams can get the ball back in play without needing to horse it up the park. The attacker still isnt allowed in the box, so it allows the defenders to get the ball under control and get it moving.

When the ball had to travel out the box it meant if the attacker presses, the keeper has to put it long

Since they’ve changed the goal kick rules, clubs have really taken this to a mental degree. Passes around the 18 yard box and getting in trouble seems to be common place.

Is it just me that thinks this new tactic is mental?

Yes it creates a bit of space further up but the risks are really, really high.
Sam Allardyce on talk sport is losing his mind over this. He may have a point though. Thankfully we have never really had an issue with this RE losing goals. One thing getting on my nerves though is Goldson's weighted lobbed pass that he tries when he is in trouble, it always invites pressure (1st min of Hearts and Celtic's goal at our place last month). if done correctly it can wipe out a teams entire front 6 and your in on goal.

If you pass to the defender, you have possession in 100% of those occasions. If you hoof it long it'll be about 50% (many variables there of course). If you want to keep the ball, play it short. If you are not good enough to pass the ball from the back, hit it long and hope for the best. Generally decent teams will take possession whereas lesser teams will prefer the ball to be further from their own goal and hope for the best.

Get it up the park. Haha

If you are good enough to force a team to press high up onto your own 18 yard box and pass it about and get behind them quickly the rewards of lots of space and a decent counter is worth the risk, thats if you are good enough to knock it about.

the one thing that does work with Tav is that McGregor hits it to Tav who 8/10 wins it and knocks it into Morelos' area
Tav gets up well. Makes me wonder why he's not in the box more for free kicks to try and get on the end of them. He's a good option to have in there rather than taking most of them.

Surely got to be better than your goalkeeper kicking an aimless ball up the park

David Edgar made a good point on his podcast.

You’ve got to look at risk vs reward when passing it around your backline. The reward is keeping possession and slowly building an attack while the risk is making an arse of it and gifting a goal. Given where our team is currently, I’d much rather Shagger went long every time

Pass it about at Ibrox where we have space and time not when in small parks(Tynecastle) where teams press the ball high.

Passing it to Goldson is asking for trouble as we've seen.

I remember a stat from last season where Goldson had one of the lowest pass completion rates for a centre back in the whole league. For a team that dominates possession and builds from the back, that needs to improve.

We done a fair bit of fannying about inside/around the box on Sunday, to the point that it looked like we were certs to lose the ball in a dangerous position.
I know there are positives to the new ruling but when struggling in a tough 1-1 battle, the last thing we want to be doing is messing about in our own box.

Given the World Cup, Champions League, Europa League and European Championship has been won by teams who play that tactic in recent years I would suggest aye, maybe been left behind a bit by where football is going.

I like it. Lengthens the game a bit instead of 20 players standing within a few yards of each other waiting on a kick coming down with snow on it. Let's see how it goes over a season or two and teams have had time to adjust.

It’s makes perfect sense when you’ve got the players to do it, you retain possession and stop the ball coming right back.

But when you’ve got the likes of Rob Kiernan and Danny Wilson at the back and you insist on passing out every single time? Yeah then it’s not really the greatest idea in the world and you’d be better just hoofing it, we’ve seen first hand how torturous it is to concede freebies by persisting with it using players nowhere near good enough for it.

Speeds up play. It’s been a good change

I’m not so sure it speeds up play.
Watched Hamburg last night and it took them about 15 passes (some under pressure) to get to the half way line. Their opponents by this time were set in a defensive formation.
First 20 minutes Hamburg we’re doing ok, but thereafter could not penetrate their opponents set up and actually lost any confidence they had.
It think it is important to be able to mix both, hitting a long ball and winning the second ball creates space to drive at the opponents back line. You need players who are willing to take the chance of winning the second ball.

All depends on the situation. If the opposition is camped out on the edge of your box at a goal kick then its maybe not a good idea no matter how good you are at keeping the ball.

It's great for us for two reasons.
1. We suck teams up the pitch that little bit more as they are tempted to press us in our box, creating space further up the pitch
2. Lesser teams are tempted to do the same in their area which will only result in more goals for us as they inevitably play some stray passes and get caught in possession

David Edgar made a good point on his podcast.

You’ve got to look at risk vs reward when passing it around your backline. The reward is keeping possession and slowly building an attack while the risk is making an arse of it and gifting a goal. Given where our team is currently, I’d much rather Shagger went long every time
Where our team is currently? Level on points at the top of the league and level on points in the Europa League? Yeah I get your point, we've had a terrible start.

its pointless unless you have players who are competent with the ball at their feet and can hit a decent pass under presssure

It is a question of DM and CM being in intelligent spaces to receive the ball, open up the pitch. Passing needs to be quick also.

Just my thought on it.

I’m all for this and I’m glad to see other teams attempting it as well. We’re such a backward nation in terms of football and that will continue until our game gets away from hoofing it up the park.

As in most things, its a case of balance, yes I like to see teams play out, however Allardyce does have a point, there are sides who are taking ridiculous risks and paying the consequences. How many goals have England conceded in recent matches for example. A good coach assesses his players ability to play this way or not rather than enforce his so called phylosophy/doctrine on those who can,t execute it.

Sam Allardyce on talk sport is losing his mind over this. He may have a point though. Thankfully we have never really had an issue with this RE losing goals. One thing getting on my nerves though is Goldson's weighted lobbed pass that he tries when he is in trouble, it always invites pressure (1st min of Hearts and Celtic's goal at our place last month). if done correctly it can wipe out a teams entire front 6 and your in on goal.

Have no idea what that pass is even about. If your going to put it somewhere surely it's as long as you can into the channel to get there full backs turned?? No?

Stick Jig or Lafferty on left touchline and get Greegs to launch it at them.. If Jig is challenged he will rub the back of his heid and give Greegs a thumbs up.

That's how you win leagues:)

Where our team is currently? Level on points at the top of the league and level on points in the Europa League? Yeah I get your point, we've had a terrible start.

Where we are in terms of technical ability, not league position. Why would our league position have any bearing on whether we went long or short at goal kicks? Strange post

Where we are in terms of technical ability, not league position. Why would our league position have any bearing on whether we went long or short at goal kicks? Strange post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with our technical ability. You want Rangers to play long ball football and you're accusing me of making strange posts?

Back