Pat Crerand Was Quoted For Celtic Manager

Lairdo

According to Bertie Auld, in his book* “A Bhoy Named Bertie,” three names were in the frame to replace Stein in 1978 - Auld, McNeill, and Crerand.

There have been some sectarian fanatics who have managed Celtic, but Crerand would have trumped them all.

*Book only cost £2.37 on amazon kindle. Well worth the price to gain a further insight into their thinking.

According to Bertie Auld, in his book* “A Bhoy Named Bertie,” three names were in the frame to replace Stein in 1978 - Auld, McNeill, and Crerand.

There have been some sectarian fanatics who have managed Celtic, but Crerand would have trumped them all.

*Book only cost £2.37 on amazon kindle. Well worth the price to gain a further insight into their thinking.
I wouldn't read that if you gave me the clockwork orange treatment

If I gave Auld a single penny, my old dad would come back to haunt me.

He despised a great many Celtic players over the years, but he always maintained Auld was the dirtiest, sneakiest, hate-filled bas*ard of the lot.
He was.
Mind you he was also a Protestant who I am sure got sent home from a tour to the States because he got drunk and sang the sash.

I prefer the bitter old RC stuff emanating from someone like Crerend to the modern insidious nasty bigotry that is hidden behind the mask of political progressiveness fed into the public forum by people like Dornan and Findlay.
Each to their own, but i find both mindsets equally repugnant.

He was.
Mind you he was also a Protestant who I am sure got sent home from a tour to the States because he got drunk and sang the sash.
My mate signed for Hibs about 1973/74. Auld was 1st team coach under Turnball. My mate was in the craft, and the 1st day at training, Auld came up said "I hear you've a big dug" and gave him the grip. How can a guy like that turn into an arsehole ?

Some years ago, I was browsing in Bargain books and saw Crerand's 'autobiography' ghost written by, I think, Eamon Dunphy. I flicked through the first dozen or so pages then threw it away in disgust.
A bigger pack of bigotry lies and propaganda I have never read (and, believe me, I have read some absolute shite in my time, especially about Northern Ireland).

Reading that, Crerand would have been a perfect fit for this disgusting club.

Some years ago, I was browsing in Bargain books and saw Crerand's 'autobiography' ghost written by, I think, Eamon Dunphy. I flicked through the first dozen or so pages then threw it away in disgust.
A bigger pack of bigotry lies and propaganda I have never read (and, believe me, I have read some absolute shite in my time, especially about Northern Ireland).

Reading that, Crerand would have been a perfect fit for this disgusting club.

Crerand was a hard-core bigot, a nasty piece of work.

My mate signed for Hibs about 1973/74. Auld was 1st team coach under Turnball. My mate was in the craft, and the 1st day at training, Auld came up said "I hear you've a big dug" and gave him the grip. How can a guy like that turn into an arsehole ?
I suppose it is the same mindset that allows a modern Rangers supporter to vote for the SNP.
Incredible as that seems.

The 1977 old firm Scottish Cup final was the first one back in then modern times to be televised live.
That lot were awarded a penalty when the ball strikes Derek Johnstone on the knee with his hands close by as he crouches down slightly on the goal line.
Pat Crerand was the co commentator and starts screaming it a penalty its a penalty. I was young at the time but remember thinking WTF is wrong with this guy.
Hated him from that day onwards.

A bitter, bigoted old tramp.
I remember as a kid watching him as a pundit on a Norn Iron v republic game at Windsor and he made some comment on the Irish border which he hoped 'wouldn't remain for much longer'.

Naked republicanism which even then went unchallenged. Prick

The 1977 old firm Scottish Cup final was the first one back in then modern times to be televised live.
That lot were awarded a penalty when the ball strikes Derek Johnstone on the knee with his hands close by as he crouches down slightly on the goal line.
Pat Crerand was the co commentator and starts screaming it a penalty its a penalty. I was young at the time but remember thinking WTF is wrong with this guy.

Remember it well, a scandalous decision.

And Bob Valentine fùcking gave it!

He despised a great many Celtic players over the years, but he always maintained Auld was the dirtiest, sneakiest, hate-filled bas*ard of the lot.
He was bang on. A detestable little rat.

My first memory of Auld is as the Partick Thistle manager in my Panini 1980 sticker album. Scottish sides were two images to one sticker so he either shared his with the badge or with Alan Rough.

Looked a wrong un even then.

How someone didn’t do the bastard after he broke Davie Provans leg and then stood there smirking is one of life’s great mysteries.

Flicked through Crerands book a few years back,and he goes on about his and his family's Irish roots and of course how hard it was for them raising a family in Scotland with all the anti Irish bigotry that went on,he recalls in the book as a young boy playing for Celtic reserves against Falkirk at Brockville and the sectarian abuse he had to put up with the home fans.I remember watching him play for Man United,I think it was against Stoke City on Match of the Day,he went straight up to a Stoke player and spat on his face,a real nasty bit of work.Auld was another scum bag,I recall an article when he managed Patrick Thistle when he gave Alan Hansen a hard time,Hansen came into training one day unwell and Auld deliberately gave him a few extra sprint sessions around the track,little did he know at the time that Hansen would go on to become a Liverpool legend

Wasn’t even one of them either.Growing up he was a Rangers supporter and was/is also a mason.My dad still hates him even now.He knew his brother who was an absolute madman.
Best comment I remember from the an old thread about Auld was “walk to the light Bertie.”A nasty horrible cu*t.

I was on holiday with the family in the South of France near St Tropez when I was 16/17 back around 1979. It was all big static caravans and it had a bar & swimming pool on site. One day at the pool my dad pointed out some guy who I wouldn't have known from a hole in the ground. He said it was Pat Crerand. A big, "who?" was my response.
Him & his wife used to get absolutely out their conkers on the local cheap rose wine every night & have raging arguments about who knew the most about Man U.

Back