Pat Crerand Was Quoted For Celtic Manager

According to Bertie Auld, in his book* “A Bhoy Named Bertie,” three names were in the frame to replace Stein in 1978 - Auld, McNeill, and Crerand.

There have been some sectarian fanatics who have managed Celtic, but Crerand would have trumped them all.

*Book only cost £2.37 on amazon kindle. Well worth the price to gain a further insight into their thinking.
Auld and Crerand were bitter mentally challenged bastards.

'77 was the very first

This followed an outcry as to why the 76 final against Hearts when we won the treble wasn't shown live. The official attendance that day was way short of the numbers actually in the ground. Blowing out of the water the long held SFA polemic that live TV would affect the attendance on the day.

This followed an outcry as to why the 76 final against Hearts when we won the treble wasn't shown live. The official attendance that day was way short of the numbers actually in the ground. Blowing out of the water the long held SFA polemic that live TV would affect the attendance on the day.
The 1977 attendance was a lot less than you would have expected for a Rangers v Celtic Scottish Cup final. Although probably not much different to the League Cup final the following season which wasn't live on TV.

If I gave Auld a single penny, my old dad would come back to haunt me.

He despised a great many Celtic players over the years, but he always maintained Auld was the dirtiest, sneakiest, hate-filled bas*ard of the lot.
My father was the same. Hated Auld with a passion. He was always hoping someone would "do him" on the pitch and cripple him.

Told this story on the old board a while back.

My Old Man and his mates headed over to Windsor Park back in the early 60's to watch Scotland play Norn Ireland in the old Home Internationals.
Off the ferry and on to the train in Larne they squeezed into one of those old carriage compartments and found themselves sitting a cross from a younger woman and an older woman. They all start chatting football and the younger woman asks my Old Mans opinion on what the Scotland team the next day would be. He ventures every Rangers player in the squad plus Dave McKay(who he loved).
The young women asks him if Pat Crerand shouldn't be in the team. Off my Old Man goes on one in a full blooded rant about Crerands deficiencies, some of which were even about his footballing ability. Feeling pleased with himself, and after a silent pause, the young women says "Interesting, I'm Pat Crerands wife and this his Mum". :))

Old Man says the journey into Belfast was the longest of his life.

Rumoured Crerand was ‘friendly’ with the hierarchy of the IRA.
Crerand blamed Tommy Docherty publicly for that one. I think he had been Docherty’s assistant at Man Utd and Docherty was quite bitter about being sacked in 1977 for having an affair with the physios wife. Matt Busby was a director and Docherty believed Crerand was too close to him and had a hand in his dismissal so when Celtic sacked Jock Stein they sought Docherty’s opinion on Crerand being Stein’s replacement. It is on public record from Crerand himself that Docherty told the Celtic Board that Crerand was an IRA supporter and the Celtic Board took fright and walked away.

Crerand blamed Tommy Docherty publicly for that one. I think he had been Docherty’s assistant at Man Utd and Docherty was quite bitter about being sacked in 1977 for having an affair with the physios wife. Matt Busby was a director and Docherty believed Crerand was too close to him and had a hand in his dismissal so when Celtic sacked Jock Stein they sought Docherty’s opinion on Crerand being Stein’s replacement. It is on public record from Crerand himself that Docherty told the Celtic Board that Crerand was an IRA supporter and the Celtic Board took fright and walked away.
Sounds plausible. Strange thing for Docherty to say unless he reason to believe it. Has Crerand ever denied his IRA links?

According to Bertie Auld, in his book* “A Bhoy Named Bertie,” three names were in the frame to replace Stein in 1978 - Auld, McNeill, and Crerand.

There have been some sectarian fanatics who have managed Celtic, but Crerand would have trumped them all.

*Book only cost £2.37 on amazon kindle. Well worth the price to gain a further insight into their thinking.
You bought and read Bertie Auld's book?

That's fuckin weird at best.

ie-03.jpg

Pat Crerand.

1435-54-news-hub-1526-656x500.jpg

Map of Ireland.

My mate signed for Hibs about 1973/74. Auld was 1st team coach under Turnball. My mate was in the craft, and the 1st day at training, Auld came up said "I hear you've a big dug" and gave him the grip. How can a guy like that turn into an arsehole ?
AM by any chance

I think not.

A dreadful, homunculus wretch of an individual.
I've posted this before, I used to work with a guy who played under Bertie Auld when he was manager of Thistle. He said Auld is not only the worst manager he every played under but the worst person he ever met in all his years playing football.

About 55 years ago my Tim-supporting mate thought his mother was taking him to meet Bertie Auld. Turns out it was Auld's mother, who was an old school friend. The lad was underwhelmed to say the least :D

Told this story on the old board a while back.

My Old Man and his mates headed over to Windsor Park back in the early 60's to watch Scotland play Norn Ireland in the old Home Internationals.
Off the ferry and on to the train in Larne they squeezed into one of those old carriage compartments and found themselves sitting a cross from a younger woman and an older woman. They all start chatting football and the younger woman asks my Old Mans opinion on what the Scotland team the next day would be. He ventures every Rangers player in the squad plus Dave McKay(who he loved).
The young women asks him if Pat Crerand shouldn't be in the team. Off my Old Man goes on one in a full blooded rant about Crerands deficiencies, some of which were even about his footballing ability. Feeling pleased with himself, and after a silent pause, the young women says "Interesting, I'm Pat Crerands wife and this his Mum". :))

Old Man says the journey into Belfast was the longest of his life.
Certainly had a chuckle at that. Brilliant story.

My late dad once told me a story about Crerand. So Manchester Utd had made an offer for Crerand and were told he`s not for sale. Celtics next game happened to be against Rangers at Ibrox and during the team talk McGrory told Crerand to "take care of Jimmy Millar". Apparently, Crerand questioned McGrory`s tactics by asking "are you fcukin kiddin how the fcuk do you take care of Jimmy Millar". Final result-Rangers 4 Celtic 0 and Crerand was a man utd player a month later.

I’d rather bite my banger than spend £2.37 on a book for that bigoted auld tramp!

Genuinely don’t understand the mindset of a Rangers fan who would buy and read a Celtic player’s autobiography. Bizarre.
I hide them, in the local library.
I should steal them and heat my house with them.
Bitter - Staunch - not me!

£2.37 is £5 too much, they should pay us to read that pish.

Anyway, my £2.37 book is titled, None of the Cvnts in Bold will see Ten in a Row.

Anyone care to guess what its about? B-D

I know I can't believe in this day and age some people don't use their football team leanings to decide every other facet of their existence. Mental.
In the present political environment that pervades Scotland under the single policy aims of the SNP to separate Scotland from the rump UK, it shouldn't be a surprise for anyone to recognise that this divisive policy infects every area of national life.
Least of all, something that is so obviously tribal as football.
I will forgive your ignorance in being unaware of this very evident reality.
Stupidity can be found in almost any group of people and as Rangers supporters, we have a few as politically stupid as yourself, in that I have no doubt.

However, anyone capable of looking at what is in front of their face will notice that our club and its visual and vocal support are most definitely from a passionate Unionist background.
Indeed our supporting community is possibly outside of Ulster, the most passionate Unionist group in the UK.
Even if you, haven't actually noticed this yourself, the SNP being a tad more clued up, have.

Consequently, as time has passed, the ideology and political aims of the SNP have moved in a totally different direction to those of most of our support.
When I say most, I would put the percentage well into the nineties.

The SNP are currently using every means foul and fair to undermine the will and the Unionist loyalty of the Ranger's support.
They would be stupid not to.
I wouldn't be surprised that one tactic is to seed this forum with SNP supporters in order to attack our cohesiveness as a group.
A more obvious tactic is just to use any power at their disposal to attack Rangers Football Club and the supporters of Rangers Football Club in any manner that they can.

I think I could give you a list of such attacks, but then why should I, they are not a secret and it may assist you in your awakening to find out for yourself.
It may even change your mind about politics and how insidious it can be in normal life events.

However, you can vote for whom you wish and if you have a proper case of why any Rangers supporter should vote for the SNP then by all means make it here.
That is what the forum is for.
If it comes down to an aspiration to break up the UK, don't be surprised if you find yourself in a minority.
But be warned, this aspiration will involve an awful lot of nastiness for Unionists left in a separated Scotland and Rangers Football Club will struggle to exist in its present healthy condition.

Last edited:
Auld was a Prod emptied out by Kelly along with Bobby Collins, Bobby Evans and Bertie Peacock IIRC Bertie was an Orangeman
Bobby Evans was also a Prod.
Indeed their famous half-back line of Fernie Evans and Stein were all Prods.
Bobby Collins was also a Prod and one player that I wish we had managed to sign in those days.

In the present political environment that pervades Scotland under the single policy aims of the SNP to separate Scotland from the rump UK, it shouldn't be a surprise for anyone to recognise that this divisive policy infects every area of national life.
Least of all, something that is so obviously tribal as football.
I will forgive your ignorance in being unaware of this very evident reality.
Stupidity can be found in almost any group of people and as Rangers supporters, we have a few as politically stupid as yourself, in that I have no doubt.

However, anyone capable of looking at what is in front of their face will notice that our club and its visual and vocal support are most definitely from a passionate Unionist background.
Indeed our supporting community is possibly outside of Ulster, the most passionate Unionist group in the UK.
Even if you, haven't actually noticed this yourself, the SNP being a tad more clued up, have.

Consequently, as time has passed, the ideology and political aims of the SNP have moved in a totally different direction to those of most of our support.
When I say most, I would put the percentage well into the nineties

The SNP are currently using every means foul and fair to undermine the will and the Unionist loyalty of the Ranger's support.
They would be stupid not to.
I wouldn't be surprised that one tactic is to seed this forum with SNP supporters in order to attack our cohesiveness as a group.
A more obvious tactic is just to use any power at their disposal to attack Rangers Football Club and the supporters of Rangers Football Club in any manner that they can.

I think I could give you a list of such attacks, but then why should I, they are not a secret and it may assist you in your awakening to find out for yourself.
It may even change your mind about politics and how insidious it can be in normal life events.

However, you can vote for whom you wish and if you have a proper case of why any Rangers supporter should vote for the SNP then by all means make it here.
That is what the forum is for.
If it comes down to an aspiration to break up the UK, don't be surprised if you find yourself in a minority.
But be warned, this aspiration will involve an awful lot of nastiness for Unionists left in a separated Scotland and Rangers Football Club will struggle to exist in its present healthy condition.
The voting numbers in Glasgow and the West of Scotland in every election don't stack up. As much as this is a very staunch subsection of the Rangers support, the wider Rangers support in real life and in Glasgow (which I think from memory you're well removed from correct me if I'm wrong) don't subscribe to the massively simplistic idea of Rangers fans voting for them = no true Rangers fan/Scotsman. I vote Labour and have been pretty vocal on here in defending that position - I think it's obvious I differ from others in that it's an economic decision rather than a larger part of my identity. To that end the people who are massively staunchly British and Scottish actually fall into the trap of having more in common with each other than normal moderates like you do with any extreme. I did enjoy the personal attack or two mind.

Funny you should say that. I just bought my self a season ticket for Parkhead as I wanted to get a real insight in to them.
I’ll better that, I’ve just joined the green brigade for an even better insight, I better start practicing running away! ;)

Last edited:
Not sure which of them I hated the most Cretan definitely on a par with Doyle and Grant and Maley as some of the most bigoted cnuts ever to be involved with them. After careful thought Crerand comes a close second to Doyle.

Back