Pat Stanton article

Think of a football club and then a player who you most associate it with. From my era it would be Pat Stanton. A fine player. I was displeased when BJK signed him for the rhats.

John Brownlie was an excellent right back at a time when Scotland had Sandy Jardine and Danny Mcgrain to close from.
I think he may have had a couple of leg breaks that curtailed his career?

Hibs had a terrific team in the early 70s.

Brownlie, Schaedler, Blackley, Stanton, O'Rourke, Edwards, Gordon and Duncan all fine footballers.
In another era they would have won more than 1 League Cup.
They sold Colin stein to us in 68 I think if they had kept him they would have won a lot more .
Stanton was a player ,despite playing a season with the scum always be associated with His

Met him a few times & it's true what people are saying about him. An absolute gentleman with no airs & graces and always had time for a chat. He owned a hotel at Joppa , besides Portobello & as I worked with an ex team mate of his we, frequented his place on many occasions. His stories were great and he never said any untowards about Rangers or our players.

Herriot, Brownlie, Schaedler, Stanton, Black, Blackley, Edwards, O'Rourke, Gordon, Cropley, Duncan. Sub Hamilton

That was their team who won the 72 League Cup against a very good Celtic team, and basically the one I had in mind.
Just noticed future Rangers treble winner Johnny Hamilton was the substitute.

Some really good players there, really liked Brownlie and Cropley

I used to coach John Blackley's grandson and would spend hours talking to John about football. Stated that Pat Stanton was the best player he ever played with at domestic level and Billy Bremner at international level.

Very good player was pat also blackley and Cropley excellent
I heard John Blackley's youngest son was a player back in the day as well. In the Falkirk area he was lauded as one of the finest youngsters to emerge from Forth Valley but unfortunately he pursued another career to which he excelled in.

Pat Stanton was a stroller in midfield for Hibs then had a swan song at Stade de Gade
an absolute Gent of Old School football royalty.

It was always an extremely difficult game against that Hibs team especially at Easter Road where we used to be under the cosh for long periods in the game with massive crowds watching on that big terracing. They were mad enough to put us behind the goal next to each other as well at some point , utter mayhem :D

Back