Patrick Thistle Rainbow Strip

It is possible to be against homophobia without being pro-LGBT pandering.

It’s a conversation I keep having with my gay niece and is based on my experience of friendship with an older gay lady. She had been a police officer and taught me that the worst thing about her sexuality was not the abuse that she took from police colleagues back in the 70s but the fact that she was always defined by her sexuality. She was often described as Gay Carol (not her real name) but pointed out that nobody called me Straight Steve. Her point was that she was an ex-copper, a student, an author, a dog-lover, and many other things yet most people saw her first and foremost as a lesbian.

For this reason she wasn’t particularly a fan of a homogeneous gay community (although she had a group of lesbian friends) and saw Pride and all that goes with it as important in 1980 but retrogressive in today’s society. She was rather saddened that her generation had fought really hard not to be defined as gay yet here we are today talking about a LGBT community who have a certain set of rules and norms that you need to adhere to and that you’d be ostracized for non-comformity. Just ask a young gay Tory voter.

I don’t see how this cynical marketing ploy advances the cause of gay Glaswegian PT supporters.

Last edited by a moderator:
maxresdefault.jpg

Any product is 'take it or leave it'.

I don't see anything controversial about it either.

Why would we not be supportive of any consensual adult relationship? What makes showing that support controversial?

There's nothing controversial about the LGBT community, I was talking about the making an away kit out of it and I'm sure the Partick Thistle fans would class it as controversial. I'm sure their forum is going ballistic with it at the moment.

Nobody is questioning their "support" but you're chasing something down as usual wanting a reaction to tar people with the "homophobic stick". Nobody gives a shite who's gay or who isn't it's more about why do the LGBT community always want treated differently or want more and if it's not forth coming then you're a homophobe?? Why are they not doing a strip with a pink band for breast cancer, why not a blue one for autism, why not a red one for veterans etc etc

Like I said in my initial post, it's absolute horse-shit, and if I was a Jags fan I'd be fuming!!

Here you have it folks, Victoria Australia passed laws today that babies don't have to have gender on their birth certificates, until they are old enough to decide if they want to be a boy or girl. When is this crazy nonsense going to stop? Congratulation was it a boy or girl...…...don't know yet....at the moment its an it...ask me again in 13 or 14 yrs. FFS.

If you went to school in the 80s. Does anyone genuinely give a shit about sexuality anymore?
Unfortunately they do.
Hate crimes against lgbt have been on the rise over the last few years.
That's not to say some of the reporting might have increased.
I'm lucky in my workplace and my family but it wasn't always this way.
Small things like this will make a difference, its got a dialogue on here which in the main is cordial and accepting.
Someones sexuality is irrelevant to supporting your team but if you are not feeling included you may not support they way you could.
I've only ever had positive experiences attending Ibrox alone and that shows a lot for such a large support. I'm sure we have our numbers of people who do not understand.
I would say to them I don't want your understanding, just for you to treat me the same as the next fan and the next fan.
Big post, sorry and its not having a go at yours.... Just some info from an lgbt member...

In the wider world/society I wouldn't be too sure of that.

And publicly people may say one thing but deep down may have another view altogether.

I was referring to this thread but you're right that in wider society it isn't the case, especially in religious circles. If anything that reinforces the need for showing support for the LGBT community.

Just to recycle a comment I made on the last thread, I think some of the attitudes shown in these threads show exactly why it's still necessary to do things like this. Thankfully those attitudes seem to be in the minority.

Those attitudes are definitely not a minority, more a very large, yet silent, majority due to PC nonsense.

Footballers are being made to wear strips promoting pride in homosexuality and you think that is perfectly normal and forward thinking?

The Thistle fans I know are trying their best to put a brave face on this but privately they are disappointed in their club for taking this stance.

I sincerely hope we, as a club, don’t go down the route of trying to appease a tiny percentage of society just to look ‘trendy’.

Not a fan of the kit, do think this is a bit of a PR stunt......but some of the comments on here? Wow.

If this does one kid who feels persecuted (you know, bullied and persecuted in a way that hetrosexuals are not) any good? It's success.

And yes, I've checked the calendar. It's definitely 2019.

Last edited:
It is possible to be against homophobia without being pro-LGBT pandering.

It’s a conversation I keep having with my gay niece and is based on my experience of friendship with an older gay lady. She had been a police officer and taught me that the worst thing about her sexuality was not the abuse that she took from police colleagues back in the 70s but the fact that she was always defined by her sexuality. She was often described as Gay Carol (not her real name) but pointed out that nobody called me Straight Steve. Her point was that she was an ex-copper, a student, an author, a dog-lover, and many other things yet most people saw her first and foremost as a lesbian.

For this reason she wasn’t particularly a fan of a homogeneous gay community (although she had a group of lesbian friends) and saw Pride and all that goes with it as important in 1980 but retrogressive in today’s society. She was rather saddened that her generation had fought really hard not to be defined as gay yet here we are today talking about a LGBT community who have a certain set of rules and norms that you need to adhere to and that you’d be ostracized for non-comformity. Just ask a young gay Tory voter.

I don’t see how this cynical marketing ploy advances the cause of gay Glaswegian PT supporters.

Brilliant post.......Bravo!!

There's nothing controversial about the LGBT community, I was talking about the making an away kit out of it and I'm sure the Partick Thistle fans would class it as controversial. I'm sure their forum is going ballistic with it at the moment.

Nobody is questioning their "support" but you're chasing something down as usual wanting a reaction to tar people with the "homophobic stick". Nobody gives a shite who's gay or who isn't it's more about why do the LGBT community always want treated differently or want more and if it's not forth coming then you're a homophobe?? Why are they not doing a strip with a pink band for breast cancer, why not a blue one for autism, why not a red one for veterans etc etc

Like I said in my initial post, it's absolute horse-shit, and if I was a Jags fan I'd be fuming!!
I'm not chasing anything down 'as usual', nor have I at any point in this or the previous thread said anyone is homophobic.

I think the point about the LGBT community is that they want treated equally, not differently. Wanting more, from what I've seen, is wanting parity.

You'd have to ask Partick why they don't do the other ones you've suggested.

Finally, you're not a Jags fan and you're fuming on their behalf. Isn't that, you know, (whisper it) virtue signalling?

Those attitudes are definitely not a minority, more a very large, yet silent, majority due to PC nonsense.

Footballers are being made to wear strips promoting pride in homosexuality and you think that is perfectly normal and forward thinking?

The Thistle fans I know are trying their best to put a brave face on this but privately they are disappointed in their club for taking this stance.

I sincerely hope we, as a club, don’t go down the route of trying to appease a tiny percentage of society just to look ‘trendy’.

Addressed your first point in post above.

Could you clarify what you mean by "perfectly normal" in this context?

I think Partick Thistle are a private organisation and it's entirely up to them what causes they choose to promote.

I don't feel very trendy......just me.
Why should representation through football not happen?
Name some out gay footballers?
Until you can then its still not accepted as normal.

I'm not chasing anything down 'as usual', nor have I at any point in this or the previous thread said anyone is homophobic.

I think the point about the LGBT community is that they want treated equally, not differently. Wanting more, from what I've seen, is wanting parity.

You'd have to ask Partick why they don't do the other ones you've suggested.

Finally, you're not a Jags fan and you're fuming on their behalf. Isn't that, you know, (whisper it) virtue signalling?

And there we have it......the chasing down, because I question the "why's" I'm fuming and I'm virtue signalling.

It's honestly boring as %^*&, the constant poor me, poor me! Zzzzz Zzzzz Zzzzzz Zzzzzz

And there we have it......the chasing down, because I question the "why's" I'm fuming and I'm virtue signalling.

It's honestly boring as %^*&, the constant poor me, poor me! Zzzzz Zzzzz Zzzzzz Zzzzzz
Wait, so asking you questions is chasing you down? You raised the point of being fuming, and specifically said if you were a jags fan you would be fuming. Being offended on behalf of someone else is very much virtue signalling.

And what 'poor me' are you referring to?

Wait, so asking you questions is chasing you down? You raised the point of being fuming, and specifically said if you were a jags fan you would be fuming. Being offended on behalf of someone else is very much virtue signalling.

And what 'poor me' are you referring to?

Good day and I hope you’ll be buying one of those tops in support of the LGBT community.

Here you have it folks, Victoria Australia passed laws today that babies don't have to have gender on their birth certificates, until they are old enough to decide if they want to be a boy or girl. When is this crazy nonsense going to stop? Congratulation was it a boy or girl...…...don't know yet....at the moment its an it...ask me again in 13 or 14 yrs. FFS.

Not sure where the feminists stand in all this insanity. e.g. I heard a debate about allowing men who "self-identify" as women to enter women's sporting events (such as track and field). Would that not then mean that all women's sporting events could be won by men?

Because people dont get beaten up, bullied, insulted, shunned, and in some countries jailed or even stoned to death for being heterosexual? It's not a difficult one really when you think about it.

I don't understand why anybody would have any objections to this. I can understand why people wouldn't give a toss either way, or might think it's not a very nice top, but why would somebody be upset by a show of support for gay people?

It's a puzzler alright.

American-Beauty-Chris-Cooper.jpg

To be honest I don't think there's anybody that actually gives a shît, even the guys against it. It's posted here to be discussed, so having any opinion either way and posting it here is going to give the impression that people are more invested in the topic than they actually are.

I question if it's what the support want, for all I know it could well be. We see fans being disregarded by clubs constantly and I can't help but think this is another instance of it. The pride 'movement' is important and I think showing support for it is a good thing if people want to, but surely there's a better way to do it than this?

This kind of thing potentially creates the horrible 'you're either with us, or against us' scenario. Someone could be supportive of the LGBT community but be accused of being homophobic or other because they don't want to buy a shîte strip they don't like.

Patrick Thistle can do what they want with their strips. why is there no wankers pride. Cause every Thistle fan I’ve met has been a wanker. They should get a crusty flag too.

Good day and I hope you’ll be buying one of those tops in support of the LGBT community.
Right, now I am chasing you down.

What's the 'poor me' you're referring to?

Have you made some terribly wrong assumptions about me?

I'm sure my wife will be shocked to find that out. As will my kids. Then again, I do have an unhealthy love of musicals, and dress quite well too. And I am most definitely a bear in every sense.

I'll wait for the Follow With Pride top to support the LGBTQ+ community if that's alright with you

Right, now I am chasing you down.

What's the 'poor me' you're referring to?

Have you made some terribly wrong assumptions about me?

I'm sure my wife will be shocked to find that out. As will my kids. Then again, I do have an unhealthy love of musicals, and dress quite well too. And I am most definitely a bear in every sense.

I'll wait for the Follow With Pride top to support the LGBTQ+ community if that's alright with you

I wasn't specifically talking about you, I was generalising with the "poor me, poor me".

I like what you did there. :D

The amount of middle aged straight men getting upset over something that has no impact on their lives is astounding.

To echo what others have said if this strip lets 1 young gay Thistle fan feel included in football and better about themselves then it should be praised.

It is a nice bit of PR but show me a communication from any club that isn’t.

It seems to me that in the US and UK, being gay is more mainstream than ever.

Over here in the US the movement is now toward being genderless. The agender folks are being persucuted because by law they have to chose one public toilet.

Thistle are way behind the times. They should have a strip that includes the “They’s”.

The amount of middle aged straight men getting upset over something that has no impact on their lives is astounding.

To echo what others have said if this strip lets 1 young gay Thistle fan feel included in football and better about themselves then it should be praised.

It is a nice bit of PR but show me a communication from any club that isn’t.

th

"But, but, but why no straight pride?"

Because people dont get beaten up, bullied, insulted, shunned, and in some countries jailed or even stoned to death for being heterosexual?

Are people being jailed or stoned to death for their sexuality in Glasgow? Perhaps bullied, insulted and shunned. So shall we get them to wear ginger wigs and glasses with the kit in support of speccy gingers? Maybe get the players to put on a few stone for the new season in support of the fatties?

Couldn't give a shite about Plastic Whistle or their strip but I am convinced we are constantly being told that Politics should be kept out of sport. Why is this any different?

A few have done it so I don't mean to single you out but why is there an insistence that this is a "political" move by Thistle? Unless they're subliminally telling me to vote for the Gay Party and I'm not registering it.

I see no issue with it at all. Easy publicity for Thistle who also went viral for their mad mascot design.

I'm surprised them across the city haven't tried it.

Football kits aren't about football, they're about money and if it brings them some extra cash so be it.

It’s the co-opting of the pink pound. Football remains an area where being openly gay is an issue. Selling strips on the back of this is not going to change that.

_107440372_partickthistlestriplaunch031.jpg

Having seen the top, I can say the only objection I had with it was wrong.

The sneak-peak made it look like it was a big ugly stripe across the strip and I thought they were disregarding what the support would want in order to get a bit of publicity.

The top is actually pretty decent and while they may still be hunting for some attention, I think this is done in a subtle enough way that I can't imagine PT fans having a problem with it.

If you are gay and this makes you feel more comfortable supporting your team or just going to any football then that's great.

If your not gay it's beyond me why you would be bothered by this at all.

Are rainbows not for a Rod, Jane and Freddy menage e trois?
Suppose they are getting on a bit now so maybe not flying the flag that high.

Why in 2019 do we have this nonsense? The gay parades, the rainbow laces now football clubs covering their strips in rainbows. Being gay isn’t seen as being weird or a taboo anymore. What are they trying to achieve? I find the whole attention seeking exercise the gay movement insist on throwing at us to be extremely tiresome.

Meh......

But i do find it "funny" that certain people that "just want to be seen as normal" all wear badges and wave flags promoting their own Cult / Group and actually going against what they claim to want ??

Each to their own

Back