Patrick Thistle Rainbow Strip

Would be worth it to see the absolute seethe from the "Rangers das" as they're known as in modern vernacular.
I wonder what their response would be to an orange top with a rainbow on it. They'd simultaneously love and utterly detest it with every fibre of their being.

Might be the way to get a sustainable power source since we're not allowed to strap buttered toast to the backs of cats.

It comes into our culture, the fact that a large proportion of our support also identify themselves as/sympathise with the orange order. Do you think that it's pure coincidence that our club release away strips in orange and blue?
There is a significant proportion of our support that also identify themselves as/sympathise with the LGBT community.

I look forward to your support for a rainbow Rangers away/third top.

There is a significant proportion of our support that also identify themselves as/sympathise with the LGBT community.

I look forward to your support for a rainbow Rangers away/third top.

If the club decide that it's in their interests for whatever reason to produce such a top then fine. I would put the house on it though, that a far greater proportion of our support identify themselves/associate themselves with the OO hence our occassional orange tops. Our club has rightly or wrongly been inextricably linked with the order and it's culture, it's simply a part of the club/it's fan base. Now clearly we will have supporters from the LGBT community, but a significant proportion? Do every team in the UK have to produce a rainbow third strip now? Because all other teams will have a proportion of supporters from that community. Or do we produce a strip with the star of David? Because we will have Jewish fans in our support...how about a star inside a crescent moon to pay homage to our Muslim supporters? And ad inifinitum...

Oh and not once have I said that I'd be raging or dissapointed if our club produced such a top, I would simply think that it's a pr stunt.

If the club decide that it's in their interests for whatever reason to produce such a top then fine. I would put the house on it though, that a far greater proportion of our support identify themselves/associate themselves with the OO hence our occassional orange tops. Our club has rightly or wrongly been inextricably linked with the order and it's culture, it's simply a part of the club/it's fan base. Now clearly we will have supporters from the LGBT community, but a significant proportion? Do every team in the UK have to produce a rainbow third strip now? Because all other teams will have a proportion of supporters from that community. Or do we produce a strip with the star of David? Because we will have Jewish fans in our support...how about a star inside a crescent moon to pay homage to our Muslim supporters? And ad inifinitum...

Oh and not once have I said that I'd be raging or dissapointed if our club produced such a top, I would simply think that it's a pr stunt.
I would say your assumption RE: LGBT Rangers supporters and those who are Orange Order members is much closer than you think. I reckon you'd easily have 20,000 LGBT Rangers supporters in Scotland.

And the Orange Orders influence on Rangers and it's fanbase is dying, because the Orange Order is dying out. Rangers supporters have always represented the views of a cross-section of Scottish society: when Protestantism reigned supreme in Scottish society, it did so in our support too. Now, atheism is significantly more popular.

I would say your assumption RE: LGBT Rangers supporters and those who are Orange Order members is much closer than you think. I reckon you'd easily have 20,000 LGBT Rangers supporters in Scotland.

And the Orange Orders influence on Rangers and it's fanbase is dying, because the Orange Order is dying out. Rangers supporters have always represented the views of a cross-section of Scottish society: when Protestantism reigned supreme in Scottish society, it did so in our support too. Now, atheism is significantly more popular.

I can't disagree with what you're saying (mainly because I can't find any hard figures) but I'd agree that we'll have a reasonable proportion of LGBT fans and I also agree that the link between the OO and the club is dwindling. My main point is where do we draw the line when releasing strips in support of certain communities or religions. We will have a fair size of our support base with disabilities, so do we release a third strip with the wee wheelchair symbol on it? A bit tongue in cheek with that but hopefully you get my point. As I said if the club decides that it's genuinely worthwhile pursuing such a cause then more power to them, Im just very cynical about the motives behind the strip. Personally I think it's an attempt to curry favour with the LGBT community and boost their attendances, rather than any genuine support for that cause...but I could be wrong.

I can't disagree with what you're saying (mainly because I can't find any hard figures) but I'd agree that we'll have a reasonable proportion of LGBT fans and I also agree that the link between the OO and the club is dwindling. My main point is where do we draw the line when releasing strips in support of certain communities or religions. We will have a fair size of our support base with disabilities, so do we release a third strip with the wee wheelchair symbol on it? A bit tongue in cheek with that but hopefully you get my point. As I said if the club decides that it's genuinely worthwhile pursuing such a cause then more power to them, Im just very cynical about the motives behind the strip. Personally I think it's an attempt to curry favour with the LGBT community and boost their attendances, rather than any genuine support for that cause...but I could be wrong.
Well if you’re using that argument then we should never have released the Orange strip, because it was a cheap publicity stunt aimed at selling tops. Which, FWIW, is the job of the football top designer. To sell as many tops as possible.

Well if you’re using that argument then we should never have released the Orange strip, because it was a cheap publicity stunt aimed at selling tops. Which, FWIW, is the job of the football top designer. To sell as many tops as possible.

Correct but there is a historical link as we've been over between the order and our club. Then again maybe there's a historical link between thistle and the LGBT community...all I'll say is that I doubt the uptake would be in the same ballpark on the latter. Good for thistle I suppose, it won't change my view on their motives right enough but if anyone wants to buy and wear it then more power to them.

Not a strip I would buy or wear but no problem with it. That said I despise identity politics and would much rather folk moved on and judged people by who they are rather than as a group.

The most Patrick Thistle thing ever.

Good touch though, football definitely needs dragged out of the 70’s when it comes to this particular issue.

is it really an issue?

Obviously it may have been back years ago, with Justin Fashanu possibly - however I'd not really heard any homophobic chanting at football - and who would it be directed it if no player is "out in the open" and LGBT fans aren't made welcome/inclusive?

I generally think in this day and age it wouldn't be an issue - you'd get the odd idiot, but that's society.

You've got Argos and other companies with "We Support LGBT" plastered all over them - but does any one really care anymore?

is it really an issue?

Obviously it may have been back years ago, with Justin Fashanu possibly - however I'd not really heard any homophobic chanting at football - and who would it be directed it if no player is "out in the open" and LGBT fans aren't made welcome/inclusive?

I generally think in this day and age it wouldn't be an issue - you'd get the odd idiot, but that's society.

You've got Argos and other companies with "We Support LGBT" plastered all over them - but does any one really care anymore?

I’ve heard plenty of homophobic chanting at football. I mind the whole of Ibrox chanting that Pierre Van Hooijdonk ‘takes it up the rear cos he’s a fckn queer’ when we played Feyenoord. Funny chant and probably factually accurate but to deny there’s an issue in football is a bit disingenuous.

I'm not really bothered if we did this -
But it's yet another modern develoment that rightly or wrongly - clearly still doesn't fully reflect opinion within the majority of supporters though

& As for PT - they've long since lost identity from their local Maryhill roots & are pandering to the student & t.v. personality culture - which they see as their new local fan base - yet we all know this shower are as fickle & transitory as it gets
They're completely unrecognisable from the club they were in the 70's - imo

I’ve no issue with the LGBT community or others sexuality, but the top is nothing more than a PR exercise.

I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with that. It’s probably quite clever from Thistle in all honesty. I’m purely stating that’s all it is. They don’t genuinely care about the LGBT community overall, they’re just utilising an opportunity based on the current focus on LGBT in the world.

is it really an issue?

You had Aberdeen fans sing the "he's gay, he's bent, his arse is up for rent" chant at Ian Durrant last season. Not a peep from the media about it either.

Pathetic attempt to lure the chattering classes .
As with the SNP and the Saltire, the Gays now own rainbows .
Nippy wobble head will soon find a way of taxing hetrosexuals for looking at a Rainbow .

A Thistle supporting member of the LGBTQ community may feel a lot more proud of this. But at the end of the day, they still support a shite team.

Yet those figures show roughly the same trend as both Scotland and Britain, where 58% of people now don't hold any religious views, and the Church of Scotland has declined from 40% of Scots in 1999 to 18% in 2017.

Is that a good enough snapshot?
More Prods than poofs then, it's official :p

Find it truly pathetic to be honest. Couldn't care less if someone's gay, lesbian or can't decide what gender they are but is there really any need for a wee rainbow on a football strip to represent this and try and show everyone just how much you care. No there's not.

Jesus, how utterly cringeworthy and embarrassing. Are these LGBT goons just trying to take over everything?

Can only pray Rangers never ever attempt something like that.

Shall we try again with this thread lads?

Before doing so check your calendar and remind yourself that it's 2019 before posting.

A load of virtue signalling PC BS imo. Offence intended. For me this Orwellian nonsense has gone too far- you now have kids at school being punished for stating science facts. "Sir their are only 2 sexes male and female anything else is just opinion" " Get out of the class boy how dare you question this- you are not being inclusive" Add to this the fawning by all on Radio and TV over wimmins fitba' and the unwillingness by males to be seen to be even remotely critical for fear of being branded sexist/misogynist is moral cowardice and typical of the new (so called) liberal progressive politics where everyone is walking on eggshells even on here apparently -Scary stuff. BTW I used to love Rainbow- George Zippy Bungle etcetera. Real Rainbows are awesome as is In Rainbows by Radiohead. Keep Rainbows and politics out of sport!

Last edited:
Perhaps not the most mature response, but as a handwringing, far-left, homosexual-propagandist snow_flake, I LOVE IT.
5vvsbo.jpg

A load of virtue signalling PC BS imo. Offence intended. For me this Orwellian nonsense has gone too far- you now have kids at school being punished for stating science facts. "Sir their are only 2 sexes male and female anything else is just opinion" " Get out of the class boy how dare you question this- you are not being inclusive" Add to this the fawning by all on Radio and TV over wimmins fitba' and the unwillingness by males to be seen to be even remotely critical for fear of being branded sexist/misogynist is moral cowardice and typical of the new (so called) liberal progressive politics where everyone is walking on eggshells even on here apparently -Scary stuff. BTW I used to love Rainbow- George Zippy Bungle etcetera. Real Rainbows are awesome as is In Rainbows by Radiohead. Keep Rainbows and politics out of sport!

Hahaha "Orwellian"

I remember that bit in 1984 - the Big Brother stuff was all well and good but when a Eurasian football team incorporated a barely noticeable strip of rainbow coloured fabric onto their away shirt, that was the straw that broke the camel's back for Winston Smith.

Yet those figures show roughly the same trend as both Scotland and Britain, where 58% of people now don't hold any religious views, and the Church of Scotland has declined from 40% of Scots in 1999 to 18% in 2017.

Is that a good enough snapshot?
Sorry, I must have missed the poll you ran on FF.

If anything these threads are good for shining a light on some knuckle draggers. Fair play to Partick, even if it is self serving and not 100% sincere, football is still a sport that I think definitely doesn’t feel inclusive to the LGBT community. That’ll be why there are still so fewer gay players willing to be open about their sexuality.

Back