Patterson money reinvested

£16m received in the past month or so

£7m funding needed until end of season

As far as I can see, there should be a few Bob for improving the team

There might be something. But I've seen figures of £6/7M suggested on this thread. This is wild and unrealistic.

The board really pushed the envelope ahead of last season in order to secure 55. That was a season where normal revenue streams were decimated.

We've been losing millions and millions every season.

Hope I’m wrong but don’t think we’ll be spending big in this window. Like the Malmo gamble, think the board are gambling on winning the league before spending decent money a player.

We need to get Roofe, Jack and Helander fit and playing more. They’re all out for long spells each season it feels like, which is no good to us.

There might be something. But I've seen figures of £6/7M suggested on this thread. This is wild and unrealistic.

The board really pushed the envelope ahead of last season in order to secure 55. That was a season where normal revenue streams were decimated.

We've been losing millions and millions every season.
Yeah many millions were converted to shares for the directors

At the last AGM they said we needed £7m to see the season out

We’ve just brought in £16m

If there’s not a few million for signings then fans have every right to question this

So which of the three are you blaming? Kamara who’s been one of our best players in the last 3 years, Hagi who’s not really built for Aberdeen away but still put a shift in and scored our goal, or the new guy making his debut?

I agree we need a right back and hope they’re working on someone now, but I’ve seen more than enough of sands there for NYC to be confident he could do a solid job there. Very athletic and composed.

Goldson, well Balogun for a start, he was on the bench last night. Or Helander when he’s fit in a couple of weeks. That’s 4 centre half options before we’ve tried to push through the Souttar move early but it’s the same options we’ve always had.

You can come up with any combination of ifs and buts, but the squad is the strongest it’s been in 15 years. We’ve at least 2 options for each position. Yeah I’d love a new winger but if the player isn’t available or the price is too rich then we have enough options in Roofe sakala wright Hagi Aribo out there depending on the game.

So this great squad had to draft in someone making his debut to play alongside someone who's "not really built for Aberdeen away" and team up with Kamara? Not much depth there.

Then you mention Sands AGAIN as a back up to Tav because we dont have anyone else.

Next up you have Balogun to back up Goldson even though he's lost his place to Bassey. You even mention Souttar who hasn't even joined us yet.

My point is all the talk about our squad depth is a bit of an exaggeration. If everyone is fit and free of suspensions and international duties then fine. Unfortunately that's not the case and we look vulnerable.

Hope I’m wrong but don’t think we’ll be spending big in this window. Like the Malmo gamble, think the board are gambling on winning the league before spending decent money a player.

We need to get Roofe, Jack and Helander fit and playing more. They’re all out for long spells each season it feels like, which is no good to us.

When these 3 are back its highly likely others will be out. Its sport and injuries happen all the time. Ours just seem to take longer. I think Jack's been out for almost a year iirc.

So this great squad had to draft in someone making his debut to play alongside someone who's "not really built for Aberdeen away" and team up with Kamara? Not much depth there.

Then you mention Sands AGAIN as a back up to Tav because we dont have anyone else.

Next up you have Balogun to back up Goldson even though he's lost his place to Bassey. You even mention Souttar who hasn't even joined us yet.

My point is all the talk about our squad depth is a bit of an exaggeration. If everyone is fit and free of suspensions and international duties then fine. Unfortunately that's not the case and we look vulnerable.
Hagi played because we are missing 4 other midfielders who are more suited to Aberdeen away. I’m sure if Arfield, Davis or Aribo was fit they would’ve played.

Sands can play right back, what’s the issue? You’re being very selective on what to comment on because I also said I’d like another right back option :rolleyes:

Balogun never lost his place to Bassey, Bassey was forced into that position because Balogun got injured and Bassey excelled in there. You asked who would come in for Goldson. It’s pretty obvious if Goldson got injured then Balogun is playing?

I mention Souttar because I wanted to, as there’s a chance we could sign him but if we don’t then we’ve got 4 good options already.

You clearly think we need more depth which is fine. I think we hit a bit of bad luck selection wise and we can’t just have quality players stacked up on the off chance we need them. Balancing a squad is about there being a pathway to the first 11 or you end up with discontent. We’ve got 8 options for midfield, and just sent Kelly on loan so Gio clearly things so too. There’s not been a season in living memory we’ve been a bit thin in certain areas.

Last edited:
We’ve been crying out for a top central midfielder for 4-5 windows now.
Seeing the result of that tonight- just don’t have anyone that can boss a game for us.
Davis has been brilliant in the position you highlight.
What we actually need is an upgrade on the Arfield style contribution.
The formation GvB wants to play, the wingers making the pitch as big as we can, means the CF has to be supported from midfield.
That’s what went wrong the other night.
For the best part, the midfield did its job defensively but not offensively.

Needs reinvested right into the squad.

few men coming to the end

Gregs - 39
Davis - 37
Arfield - 33

start planning the now ! wont be here firever !

Too many on here are manipulating figures. We allegedly received £9m upfront from Everton. That's £9m in 1 payment. We also got allegedly £4.5 from Gerrard and Co. We needed £7.5m to cover until end of season.

So potentially we have around £6m if the board feel we have that spare to spend. That will include signing on transfer fees, signing on fees and agent fees.

It probably allows 1 player of value to be added. Unless the board gamble with the Patterson money. Spending it all doesn't guarantee winning the league. Also there is still no guarantee of winning the league and access to Champions League money. Man utd or Lille could potentially cost us that if they win the Champions League..

Can the board through all the money we have into it knowing we still have money to pay back.

Prepare to be disappointed as usual in this window, we'll make no more signings until the summer, that's why Itten was brought back early.

Too many on here are manipulating figures. We allegedly received £9m upfront from Everton. That's £9m in 1 payment. We also got allegedly £4.5 from Gerrard and Co. We needed £7.5m to cover until end of season.

So potentially we have around £6m if the board feel we have that spare to spend. That will include signing on transfer fees, signing on fees and agent fees.

It probably allows 1 player of value to be added. Unless the board gamble with the Patterson money. Spending it all doesn't guarantee winning the league. Also there is still no guarantee of winning the league and access to Champions League money. Man utd or Lille could potentially cost us that if they win the Champions League..

Can the board through all the money we have into it knowing we still have money to pay back.

Not really how transfers work though. We wouldn't need to spend the full free up front either, same way Everton didn't. We could easily buy say a £5m player but pay it in instalments / with add-ons etc.

Last edited:

Either get them fit or offload them at the moment to they are expensive liabilities

Before kick-off last night, we had by far the best squad in the league. We picked up a point when we could have got nothing. That point could be vital. Suddenly everybody is crap, the manager is crap, players crap etc. News flash, we're not going to win every game.
Not been on here too much last couple of days as it gets mental when we don't win but I ain't seen anyone say the manager is crap.

Did Robertson not say the 7m had already been covered at the AGM?
He did indeed! Therefore the £14m/£15m that we have received from Patterson, Gerrard and the back room, scandalous if we don’t reinvest a decent proportion of that and bank the £6m/£7m given what is at stake. Chances are we’re going to move on another big name in the summer who will go for a substantial fee - whether that’s Aribo, Morelos, Hagi, Kent…

Lundstram has been a massive disappointment and I’m pretty certain that when Gerrard brought him in he was confident that he would be a first choice who would replace Davis to a very high standard.
Although there have been arguments about this on here, David Edgar has suggested that he is on about 35K a week.
I suspect that he has taken up a chunk of budget that looks like a waste of money.
The first time I saw him in a competitive match in a Rangers jersey I didn’t think he was good enough and my view has not changed.

Yes but it paramount the mentally challengeds don't win the league, if they get the champions league money there a real chance of a power-shift. If we get it, the debts are paid and we take it up to the next level

Totally agree we need an attacking midfielder and a natural right sided attacker. I'm sure we will have funds for one, possibly the two. However I feel the issue we have at the moment is we have too much dead wood blocking up the wage bill. Simpson, Bacuna, Lundstrum (maybe harsh, but jury out) and Barker, can't get a game even when short of bodies in their positions, and surely must equate to a tidy sum of cash per month !! I appreciate its difficult to shift these guys if they are happy hanging about, but this must be priority, before we can buy. Work your magic Ross. And on a side note, let's get some of the youngsters who have been training with the first team some substantial minutes on Friday.

We can’t spend what we don’t have. Player trading is the missing piece of the plan, selling Patterson was only the start of that and covers spend already made. We’ll only buy if it was part of the budget regardless of the Patterson sale.

We can’t spend what we don’t have. Player trading is the missing piece of the plan, selling Patterson was only the start of that and covers spend already made. We’ll only buy if it was part of the budget regardless of the Patterson sale.

Short term thinking like this could absolutely kill us for years to come. If we buy in two first team starters this window then we push on and win the league. Job done.

If we've sat for the last few windows without signing anyone of note and Celtic win the league it's embarrassing from the board. Especially if Ange comes in and wins everything in his first season.

Short term thinking like this could absolutely kill us for years to come. If we buy in two first team starters this window then we push on and win the league. Job done.

If we've sat for the last few windows without signing anyone of note and Celtic win the league it's embarrassing from the board. Especially if Ange comes in and wins everything in his first season.
We need the upgrades and new blood far more come the Summer than now, thats for damn sure.

Spending money in Jan is a panic merchant's business - just look at those partaking and the other clubs sitting pretty on what theyd previously built up.

Wait till the Summer, then make our move(s).

Its the smart and only play really.

Whereas spending money we don’t have has always worked out splendidly in the past. All our best players (with exception of possibly Davis) have all been developed from the players we bought. This idea that we can buy ”starting 11 ready” players on our budget is pie in the sky.

I think I am correct in saying our last accounts, indicated a shortfall of £23million. Patterson fee covers roughly half that. And yes we have to keep improving and aim to win the league every season but one sale is not a “player trading model” and until that is fully functioning there may well be more tough times to overcome. Reality.

We need the upgrades and new blood far more come the Summer than now, thats for damn sure.

Spending money in Jan is a panic merchant's business - just look at those partaking and the other clubs sitting pretty on what theyd previously built up.

Wait till the Summer, then make our move(s).

Its the smart and only play really.

Aye wait until the summer when Celtic have their hands on the title because they did put money in to win the Champions League prize pot.

We've received about £15m in the last couple of months for Patterson & Gerrard. Ross Wilson himself said that if we received a substantial fee a lot of it would be reinvested into the squad.

Whereas spending money we don’t have has always worked out splendidly in the past. All our best players (with exception of possibly Davis) have all been developed from the players we bought. This idea that we can buy ”starting 11 ready” players on our budget is pie in the sky.

I think I am correct in saying our last accounts, indicated a shortfall of £23million. Patterson fee covers roughly half that. And yes we have to keep improving and aim to win the league every season but one sale is not a “player trading model” and until that is fully functioning there may well be more tough times to overcome. Reality.

So just sacrifice the league to Celtic and the £40m that comes with it? BTW those figures are nothing like what was said at the AGM. The directors said the shortfall was covered.

Back