Patterson RW

I'd play him there against Hibs instead of Hagi. Doig is more attacking and extra pace can exploit gaps.

There’s been several posts about Tav should be dropped for Patterson… but I’m sure he’s been at the Tav school of crossing…
Hit the first man more often than not… needs to improve in that area

I wank dugs was provider of two of our goals today but still has to be criticised. If Nathan ends up half as good as Tav is at crossing a ball I'll be happy.

I think that he’s probably feeling a bit alienated being played out of position and hasn’t really had the same impact in that role.

Any game time is good for Nathan. Think Gio fancies him more than Gerrard
This for sure.
Honesty happy to see the lad played anywhere on the park if it helps keep him at our club. He's busting to show his stuff, and it looks like Gio is going to find a way to tap in his enormous potential.

Quite clear this is a defensive thing despite the position. He was grafting all across our defensive line vs Sparta Prague when he came on. Just something different and it gives him match sharpness.

It can be viewed as a defensive move, but it also gives Patterson freedom and time to develop the attacking content of his game. Even if we were 5-0 up, this makes perfect sense to me.

I like his dynamism and his directness.
Better long term at right back but whilst Tav is performing, I'd far rather see Patterson right wing than rotting away on the bench.

I think the two of them together could be useful especially against sides who attack that side.

I think both prefer to make runs from deep, think if anything Tav might be slightly more suited to the advanced role

Absolutely agree. I thought Patterson looked uncomfortable and constrained in that role and saw him stopping with the ball and go back the way rather than do his usual and take his man on. I think Tav may be more lethal further forward and might stop the continuous diagonal ball across the 18 yard box that is meat and drink for defenders.

Patterson is far more capable of beating a man with pace, I quite like the idea of him playing further forward.

I agree with that.

Players change positions or can be asked to play a role that perhaps isn't their favored one. It happens.

Young Patterson should not only be young enough to adapt, he should be relishing the minutes on the park and the opportunity to test himself in another area, learning the demands of different role.

Can only do the young chap good.

Gerrard said that about him a few weeks ago when he brought him on at left back as well.

When Gerrard started breaking into Liverpool's first team he'd be put left or right mid, right back, etc so if it's good enough for one of the best midfielders of his generation I'm sure it's good enough for Patterson.

I'll be honest, I think the lad is in danger of being over-hyped.

Definitely not at RW and I'd have Tav at right back before him any day.
Have to agree still potential for me but doing well for Scotland and Rangers are two different things.
Tav for me still holds the position as he offers more.

When it does come the time for Patterson to slot in at RB, he will have had a fair bit of experience utilising the whole right side of the pitch, can only be gd for his overall game and flexibility, same with Bassey

When it does come the time for Patterson to slot in at RB, he will have had a fair bit of experience utilising the whole right side of the pitch, can only be gd for his overall game and flexibility, same with Bassey
I think there’s a good chance that we’ll mismanage this to the point where Nathan leaves in the next 18 months for much less than he’s worth.

I think that he’s probably feeling a bit alienated being played out of position and hasn’t really had the same impact in that role.

He is playing under a coach who went from a CM to winning the CL and playing in World Cup Finals at LB to be fair, I would expect he is getting sound advice in adapting his game

Well if he feels that way then he needs to tuck his petted lip in and get the head down to be better than the other right back we have which he is not.

That's not to say he does feel like that. But if he does then that's on him and no one else.

Again, I will repeat that this is in response to the post quoted and not that I feel Patterson is like that at all.

Last edited:
What's he worth?
At least £8m given we declined that in the summer.

I appreciate everything that Tav has done - and is still doing - but when the back up is a full 10 years younger and as promising as Patterson is, I think it adds an extra layer to the discussion.

A couple of seasons of regular football, European football and international football and Patterson is going for upwards of £25m.

I can’t see it.

Someone as comfy in attack as Patterson will be enjoying the chance to play there.

People need to appreciate that this right sided partnership hasn’t played for more than half an hour. Gio will be assessing this daily, I see why he’s picked Hagi but he can’t keep playing as a right winger so we do need a realistic alternative.

Patterson playing RW could definitely benefit us in certain games, I'd like to see him from the start away to Lyon given the added defensive cover he'll give us.

Longer term he needs to be retained as a full back though IMO.

I think there’s a good chance that we’ll mismanage this to the point where Nathan leaves in the next 18 months for much less than he's worth
Agree, that could well happen unless there's an unfortunate injury or rimilar to Tav

Back