Patterson

That's not going to be possible when we play just about every weekend and midweek from here on out.

Rotation is key. St Mirren are awful. Put the kid in.

That's a bit complacent mate.

St Mirren aren't awful.
They've got one of the best managers in the league and will be very well organised.

We play our strongest team tomorrow.

Nathan is happy to now be a regular in the squad and will be ready when his opportunities come.

They will come.

The idea that we could drop the club captain for a kid without the players questioning Gerrard is silly. Tavernier wants to play every game and so he should, terrible form apart, given he is a senior leader.

We can’t have Tavernier playing 50+ games a season. Patterson starts tomorrow for me and so he should be starting in these types of games.

He’s ready and if we can’t throw him in against St Mirren at home we might as well go out and buy an experienced right back incase Tav does get injured.

Rotation is vital here, I wouldn’t be against playing Bassey tomorrow ahead of Barisic.

As suspected.

Glory hunter.

Moan about the hard graft of getting back to the top but will be first in line to cheer when we reach the top.

Easiest ignore I will do all day.

Possibly the maddest thing anyone has ever said to me on here.

I’ll be glad to be back on your ignore list.

He is cemented right back number 2. He is 18 and WILL be a talent.

The sensible thing from the Club and from his perspective now is to use this time in the first team to learn from the likes of Tav. The small nuances that come with the right back position that the average punter doesnt pick up on. Position when attacking/defending. When to tuck in. Body shape when one on one etc
He needs to be watching all the time. Studying. Which I have no doubts he will be.
He is one injury/suspension away from being first choice. He needs to be ready and champing at the bit.
Our other youngsters need to be patient and see Patterson as proof there is a direct route if youre commited and good enough.

He needs some regular game time at a senior level to develop. I won't be surprised if he goes out on loan if we can get someone in.

We are heavily exposed at full back with Bassey and Patterson having virtually zero experience at senior level.
Is this a joke? I’d rather have Paterson and Bassey than Halliday, Polster and Flannigan any day!!!!!! Rangers are trying to build a squad that proper now, which includes young players getting a chance around it not a load of journeymen taking money out the club. Honestly dunno what people like you expect but I’m delighted we have an academy player as back up right back, I’m delighted we’ve signed a young lad with potential as back up left back and I’m delighted we booted the other three out.

Is this a joke? I’d rather have Paterson and Bassey than Halliday, Polster and Flannigan any day!!!!!! Rangers are trying to build a squad that proper now, which includes young players getting a chance around it not a load of journeymen taking money out the club. Honestly dunno what people like you expect but I’m delighted we have an academy player as back up right back, I’m delighted we’ve signed a young lad with potential as back up left back and I’m delighted we booted the other three out.
Have you even seen Bassey play at a competitive senior level? Patterson has did very well in his very rare outings for us and progressing well, but no it's not a joke that I think as an 18 year old he needs regular game time against men to develop.

They very well may turn out better than Robertson and TAA for all we know, but not before getting significant games under their belt to develop. Training and learning from experienced pros everyday is also a big part of that. There is a reason we had the mccrories and Kelly etc. out on loan.

You will need to point out to me where I mentioned Halliday, Polster or Flanagan - they were obviously not of the standard required.

He is cemented right back number 2. He is 18 and WILL be a talent.

The sensible thing from the Club and from his perspective now is to use this time in the first team to learn from the likes of Tav. The small nuances that come with the right back position that the average punter doesnt pick up on. Position when attacking/defending. When to tuck in. Body shape when one on one etc
He needs to be watching all the time. Studying. Which I have no doubts he will be.
He is one injury/suspension away from being first choice. He needs to be ready and champing at the bit.
Our other youngsters need to be patient and see Patterson as proof there is a direct route if youre commited and good enough.
Patient nothing as far as I am concerned he should be our no1 right back though Gérard will not agree.

I’ve seen Patterson a few times and I’m just not sure I see what everyone else does with him.

I’m willing to give him time to develop and it’ll be good for him to be back up for a season but he’s nowhere near Tavs level (yet).
I think he has almost everything bar game time and will be excellent but I agree he’s nowhere near Tav’s level yet.

We can’t have Tavernier playing 50+ games a season. Patterson starts tomorrow for me and so he should be starting in these types of games.

He’s ready and if we can’t throw him in against St Mirren at home we might as well go out and buy an experienced right back incase Tav does get injured.

Rotation is vital here, I wouldn’t be against playing Bassey tomorrow ahead of Barisic.
You don't need to start rotating anybody in only your second league game. Especially not both right and left back

You don't need to start rotating anybody in only your second league game. Especially not both right and left back
Yes we do mate. We are playing 3 games in 6 days.

Part of our downfall last season looked like fatigue.

It’s a marathon, not a sprint.

Have you even seen Bassey play at a competitive senior level? Patterson has did very well in his very rare outings for us and progressing well, but no it's not a joke that I think as an 18 year old he needs regular game time against men to develop.

They very well may turn out better than Robertson and TAA for all we know, but not before getting significant games under their belt to develop. Training and learning from experienced pros everyday is also a big part of that. There is a reason we had the mccrories and Kelly etc. out on loan.

You will need to point out to me where I mentioned Halliday, Polster or Flanagan - they were obviously not of the standard required.

so in your book we shouldnt bring through any young players at Rangers before they go out on loan somewhere? nonsense.

from where I am standing I see my club for the first time in a long time working with a squad in all positions that actually makes sense,and that includes having some young guys around it (and no I don’t mean third or fourth in line - I mean right in the mix to be involved with Rangers)

and aye I’ve saw Paterson play at a competitive senior level twice now and both times good, I’ve saw Bassey play at senior level once and it was good. I’ve saw those other journeymen play a lot lot more times and can’t recall a a good.

A back up needs to be ready. If he’s never playing, he won’t be ready, so let’s see what happens.

While we have 5 subs, Patterson - and as many of the other back ups - need to be given game time.

I personally think we’ll see a right back loaned in, I genuinely can’t see Gerrard trusting one of our youth products in what would be a key position if Tav gets a bad one.

Reactions: GF7
so in your book we shouldnt bring through any young players at Rangers before they go out on loan somewhere? nonsense.
No I think they need regular game time to develop, and as it stands it will be extremely limited because of who is ahead of them. That's why so many younger players go out on loan to smaller clubs.

You have seen Bassey on one competitive outing when he came on today, and Patterson start against Stranraer months ago and a subs appearance against Bayer the other night. They have looked good on these rare outings.

I'm not entirely sure why you are looking for an argument as I haven't suggested either are not going to develop into good players. you are sort of defeating your own argument with Bassey though considering we have signed him to play ahead of any of our academy players even though he has no first team experience. Your agreeing with someone above about the need for squad depth but are horrified about the thought of an experienced full back coming in.

A back up needs to be ready. If he’s never playing, he won’t be ready, so let’s see what happens.

While we have 5 subs, Patterson - and as many of the other back ups - need to be given game time.

I personally think we’ll see a right back loaned in, I genuinely can’t see Gerrard trusting one of our youth products in what would be a key position if Tav gets a bad one.
Gerrard showed if he rated them he’ll give them a shot - see Middleton in 18/19. Yes he was exactly an academy signing but he was viewed as one. I don’t see Gerrard playing Patterson if Tav was injured and we were playing Celtic tomorrow - thankfully have Balogun who has filled in as a right back before - but I think he has enough confidence to play in him most of our home games and games vs the bottom half teams away.

This is pretty much my thoughts on it summed up. Patterson looks a prospect but he seems to have transformed into Cafu because of a cup game against Stranraer.

If we had experienced cover for Borna (or vice versa Tav) then I think Patterson / Bassey would be fine but ultimately Bassey lacks experience too, it's a major risk if Borna and Tav are out at same time and we have two full backs with 1 senior start between them.

This is pretty much my thoughts on it summed up. Patterson looks a prospect but he seems to have transformed into Cafu because of a cup game against Stranraer.

If we had experienced cover for Borna (or vice versa Tav) then I think Patterson / Bassey would be fine but ultimately Bassey lacks experience too, it's a major risk if Borna and Tav are out at same time and we have two full backs with 1 senior start between them.

Gerrard will be more confident with Bassey as it stands.

The youth version of the EPL is a much higher standard, and as we can see from Bassey compared to most of our own youth products both at Rangers and in Scotland, he’s already built like a fully grown athlete.

I might be wrong but going by our last two games I think Gerrard is gonna give the two boys a chance if he can in the game, so that they’re read if called upon, but only one at a time so we have one experienced full back on. Think patterson gets 15 mins if we’re comfortable v st j

Gerrard will be more confident with Bassey as it stands.

The youth version of the EPL is a much higher standard, and as we can see from Bassey compared to most of our own youth products both at Rangers and in Scotland, he’s already built like a fully grown athlete.
Yeh it's a good point, it's also why I think it would be a rb that would come in - as you said probably a loan.

Ross McCroie was playing there for Portsmouth last season but I think we need to get away from players out of position

Gerrard's post match today said that Rangers should be able to replace players like for like and not drop the quality. Patterson simply isn't at Tav's level yet

Back