Patterson

This is exactly what should be getting done but Gerrard is extremely stubborn and wont give any youngster a chance. The team that hammered us last night have not started shaving yet, FFS there was a 17 year old playing. Can you imagine Gerrard playing any of those guys last night in our team?

TBF to the gaffer he has given him minutes in most games so far, remains to be see if he is still as stubborn or giving NP a chance domestically this season.

That 17 yo is exceptional though, big difference than putting a developing player under the spotlight.

I remember us being dead on our feet with Steven Pressley making a blunder against Marseilles and McSwiggen getting us back in the game against a great team. Sometimes you need to roll the dice and give it a go, last night was a dead rubber anyway.

I have no faith that Gerrard genuinely trusts any youth players and I think it’s unlikely we’ll see much of Patterson this season.

He looks quite similar in style to Tavernier however, and that gives me hope.

I remember us being dead on our feet with Steven Pressley making a blunder against Marseilles and McSwiggen getting us back in the game against a great team. Sometimes you need to roll the dice and give it a go, last night was a dead rubber anyway.
none of those players were 17 though mate, or 18 in Pattersons case.

We've a couple of soft home games coming up.

I'd like to see him get 90 minutes, especially against St Mirren.

We lost to Hamilton Accies at home last season. We’ve not earned the right to call any games soft. I’m sure the lad will get playing time over the course of the season but every game should be treated like a cup final this season and that means the strongest team plays. Tav is without doubt part of that strongest team.

I think it is what has cost us after the break each year. That we’ve relied too heavily on some players (Tav, Goldson, Davis, Jack, Morelos, Kent etc) that when they are kept playing they can keep going on adrenaline for a while but when they’ve had a break it’s all caught up with them and been hard to get going again. Hopefully he’s learned that we need to rest our players now and again - keep them hungry.

Patterson and Bassey need enough minutes till the window shuts yo know if they are capable of being back up and if not for us to go get someone else. I’d say it’s the same for a few others.

We lost to Hamilton Accies at home last season. We’ve not earned the right to call any games soft. I’m sure the lad will get playing time over the course of the season but every game should be treated like a cup final this season and that means the strongest team plays. Tav is without doubt part of that strongest team.
That's not going to be possible when we play just about every weekend and midweek from here on out.

Rotation is key. St Mirren are awful. Put the kid in.

Get the game won first, then put him in.
Trust in the boys ability. If he doesn't get experience of winning games against St Mirren at home, when does he get that experience?

We should have no reservations about putting our second-choice right back in the lineup for a game against the 11th best team in the league.

That's not going to be possible when we play just about every weekend and midweek from here on out.

Rotation is key. St Mirren are awful. Put the kid in.

The strongest team for each game doesn’t mean the same players. Tav doesn’t need rested. We’ve just started back. Throw the lad in for League Cup game initially and put him on for spells once 3 points are secured. He did well again last night but in amongst some great things he also made mistakes. These will 100% be magnified if he played as many minutes as Tav.

I don’t mean this as a criticism of Gerrard, but he’s far too risk averse to start Patterson at home to St Mirren.

Absolutely no way that’s happening, don’t kid yourselves on.

The strongest team for each game doesn’t mean the same players. Tav doesn’t need rested. We’ve just started back. Throw the lad in for League Cup game initially and put him on for spells once 3 points are secured. He did well again last night but in amongst some great things he also made mistakes. These will 100% be magnified if he played as many minutes as Tav.
Of course he's going to make mistakes, he's a young player developing.

Celtic's first choice right back is only a year older than Patterson. His age is absolutely no reason not to start him.

And if his mistakes are going to be "magnified" and this used as an excuse, it's not one. That's on us, the supporters, to get a grip of ourselves and recognise that this is a young kid with a lot of potential still learning, and that mistakes will happen. That's not Patterson's fault, it's ours, and it's been a flaw within our support for a long time that we refuse to address.

everyone who's saying they can't see any harm in starting him on Sunday will most likely be the ones to say gerrard should never have started him if he ends up making a mistake that costs us. He needs time and he will come good but this is not the season to be just starting young players who are a few levels below tav just because you don't like tav

I dont seem to remember in all my years following Rangers the support to boo one of our own youth products.
Infact id say they back our young players to the hilt!
Glenn Middleton last season. Not our youth player but he’s a young boy and the groans were outrageous anytime he done something wrong

our home fans are up there with the most impatient fans I’ve witnessed.

our travelling support are so much more supportive than when at Ibrox

I’ve seen Patterson a few times and I’m just not sure I see what everyone else does with him.

I’m willing to give him time to develop and it’ll be good for him to be back up for a season but he’s nowhere near Tavs level (yet).

It’s a difficult position to play especially against high class opposition. I think bringing him in gradually and getting used to the first team environment is the first objective. The 60m cross field pass was a really encouraging sign in terms of his attitude and mental approach.

I dont seem to remember in all my years following Rangers the support to boo one of our own youth products.
Infact id say they back our young players to the hilt!
Our fans are absolutely awful with our own young players.

Full of guys who think that greeting every time a young player makes a mistake is "upholding standards" when really, it's the exact opposite. Not giving a young player time to make mistakes and learn is how they don't develop, and is detrimental to the long term success of the club.

It's a credible challenger to Taverniers position he hasn't had anyone capable of playing when he's been out for the 5 years he's been here

This is exactly what should be getting done but Gerrard is extremely stubborn and wont give any youngster a chance. The team that hammered us last night have not started shaving yet, FFS there was a 17 year old playing. Can you imagine Gerrard playing any of those guys last night in our team?

But it’s much easier to come into a team of high quality players. If you took any one of our team except the goalie and put them in the Leverkusen team they would look and play better.

I don’t mean this as a criticism of Gerrard, but he’s far too risk averse to start Patterson at home to St Mirren.

Absolutely no way that’s happening, don’t kid yourselves on.

I’ll be delighted with his risk aversion if we win the league. Problem is that those calling for The manager to be taking risks on various players will be screaming the place down if we drop points because of it.
This season demands that we play our strongest 11 every week. The only time to be blooding youngsters or giving players a chance to see what they can do is in the last half hour when we are three goals to the good

Of course he's going to make mistakes, he's a young player developing.

Celtic's first choice right back is only a year older than Patterson. His age is absolutely no reason not to start him.

And if his mistakes are going to be "magnified" and this used as an excuse, it's not one. That's on us, the supporters, to get a grip of ourselves and recognise that this is a young kid with a lot of potential still learning, and that mistakes will happen. That's not Patterson's fault, it's ours, and it's been a flaw within our support for a long time that we refuse to address.

I agree 100% that it’s a flaw in the support but you’re living in cloud cuckoo land if you think that’s going to change any time soon. Mentally you have to be unbelievably strong to cope with the demands of our support. Some experienced players struggle with that so for kids it’s a huge weight around the shoulders. Only very few have the mental strength to cope as teenagers, the vast majority need to be very carefully managed.

I agree 100% that it’s a flaw in the support but you’re living in cloud cuckoo land if you think that’s going to change any time soon. Mentally you have to be unbelievably strong to cope with the demands of our support. Some experienced players struggle with that so for kids it’s a huge weight around the shoulders. Only very few have the mental strength to cope as teenagers, the vast majority need to be very carefully managed.
It's within our gift to change it. And if it's a requirement for Rangers to be successful, then we should be changing it. We claim to hold players and staff to the highest standard, time we did the same with ourselves.

I'm really excited for him to be Tav's understudy, few aspects that he needs to iron out but he could be our replacement in two years time. The pass he played last night was lovely to watch, few more games and he will grow into a very able deputy.

It's within our gift to change it. And if it's a requirement for Rangers to be successful, then we should be changing it. We claim to hold players and staff to the highest standard, time we did the same with ourselves.
I think majority of fans will give kids the benefit of the doubt, you will have the usual rockets giving it "back in my day .....". The key is not throwing him to early, the approach the gaffer is taking is a good one IMO. Really happy for him.

Now is not the time for throwing in youngsters for me. 3 points comes before player development. We need our best 11 on the park from the get go. If Patterson is showing in training and regular substitute appearances that he is deserving of a shot, then great but until that time we go with Tav.

Mate not being funny. I had you on ignore for ages and can now remember why.

If you won a car in a 50p a go raffle, you would moan about the colour of it.

Stick me back on ignore then, no skin off my back.

I’ll probably be more positive when we actually start winning things again.

He's got talent, full of confidence and only 18. Patterson is going to be one of hell of a player for us.

Stick me back on ignore then, no skin off my back.

I’ll probably be more positive when we actually start winning things again.

As suspected.

Glory hunter.

Moan about the hard graft of getting back to the top but will be first in line to cheer when we reach the top.

Easiest ignore I will do all day.

Glenn Middleton last season. Not our youth player but he’s a young boy and the groans were outrageous anytime he done something wrong

our home fans are up there with the most impatient fans I’ve witnessed.

our travelling support are so much more supportive than when at Ibrox
Too say outright we boo young players when a pass is mislaced is absolute drivel.
I do get the groans bit but as fans we have been loyal beyond compare and if we as a group keep getting let down our groans will get louder.
Ive seen experienced players getting an earful,yes booing our team off the park at half time and full time Ive seen many times but never a player really singled out young or old.

Our fans are absolutely awful with our own young players.

Full of guys who think that greeting every time a young player makes a mistake is "upholding standards" when really, it's the exact opposite. Not giving a young player time to make mistakes and learn is how they don't develop, and is detrimental to the long term success of the club.
Off the top of my head i never ever heard Durrant D Ferguson or Barry either for that matter when they were young players coming into our first team getting booed.
Now if I claimed they never got bawled at now and again id say you would be right but to say as a support we boo young players is ludicrous.

Off the top of my head i never ever heard Durrant D Ferguson or Barry either for that matter when they were young players coming into our first team getting booed.
Now if I claimed they never got bawled at now and again id say you would be right but to say as a support we boo young players is ludicrous.
With all due respect, that was over 20 years ago.

I remember an article about Walter Smith seeing how fan ‘feedback’ affected Alan Hutton when he arrived for his second spell.

Getting Hutton to understand that while he should respect the fans, ultimately the only thing Smith cared about was whether Hutton was doing the things he wanted was key to his form improving.

Too say outright we boo young players when a pass is mislaced is absolute drivel.
I do get the groans bit but as fans we have been loyal beyond compare and if we as a group keep getting let down our groans will get louder.
Ive seen experienced players getting an earful,yes booing our team off the park at half time and full time Ive seen many times but never a player really singled out young or old.
Check Tav thread

everyone who's saying they can't see any harm in starting him on Sunday will most likely be the ones to say gerrard should never have started him if he ends up making a mistake that costs us. He needs time and he will come good but this is not the season to be just starting young players who are a few levels below tav just because you don't like tav
Did you say making a mistake that would cost us, now where have we seen that happen all to often with a certain experienced player.

Did you say making a mistake that would cost us, now where have we seen that happen all to often with a certain experienced player.
The difference is look how our fans get on with tav even when the goals aren't his fault. The last thing a young player needs is grief for making a mistake especially with how important this season is.

He should be nobody's back up, Tavernier in my opinion has shown me enough already that his blunders will continue and cost us valuable points.

Best team plays.

Paterson isn't in that yet. A years experience and I hope he will be. In fact, I'm.sure of it if he keeps progressing.

But Tavernier is significantly better than him at the moment.

However, I love Paterson.

It seems his progression is obvious. Last season brought into the first team squad for training. This season confirmed as first team squad member and will be eased into playing time in the expectation that next season he'll be a genuine challenger for a first team start.

He's still raw. Give the boy a chance. The management staff are handling him well and he's got a good head to understand what's going on.

What harm would it have done to give the lad the second half.
Against one of the fastest/best wingers in Europe who had already made our quick experienced captain look pedestrian? What harm could that possibly do to his confidence as he finds his feet in the man’s game? Really?

Back