Patterson

Originalmacc

Now,before I start I just want to say this is not about Tavernier,he’s our captain and a more productive rb is hard to find,but I would absolutely love to start seeing a bit more of young Nathan,I know it’s early in the season etc but if not now when?his energy and capabilities are absolutely matched and I believe the others in the team will absolutely feed off that too.

I don’t see him getting in from of Tav anytime soon. He may well play the odd game here and there but when Tav is doing things like scoring winners into the top corner from 30 yards and assisting goals he will rightfully keep the starting jersey imo.

It’s a tricky one to juggle. I’d like to see him playing more, but also reluctant to be rotating Tav as much too. Definitely needs to be playing more games but he’s too good to loan out.

Patterson himself will be a bit frustrated at not getting more games IMO, but doesn’t seem the type that would take the huff over the current situation. Convinced he’ll still be here and our number one RB in a few seasons

It’s mid September and we haven’t really had an easy game yet to play him in. There’s no need for this panic he’s not getting games so will want away this early in a season chat. See where his appearances are come December when he’s played plenty enough

I think he may be injured just now but I agree. He no doubt has the bit between his teeth with playing for Scotland and a bid from Everton coming in so you wonder how long he will be happy playing second fiddle.
I don’t think it’s at that situation where he would leave,he has excellent people around him and according to the gaffer his parents are keeping him grounded.

He will get game time this season, as I said in another thread - I can see Tav getting phased out over the next year or two.

Patterson isn’t as good yet, especially in terms of final ball but we may have to take that hit for him to properly develop.

I have absolutely no fears that we he will “leave for games” as some people on here seem to suggest, Gerrard will have made it abundantly clear to him what his role is and I imagine he’ll be happy.

I don’t think it’s at that situation where he would leave,he has excellent people around him and according to the gaffer his parents are keeping him grounded.
I'm sure he has his head screwed on but when your sitting on the bench in a SPL match when you possibly could of been first choice RB for a good midlevel Prem team then it would be easy to let the mind wander.

I think we'd have seen more if it wasn't for injuries.

If Tav's fit he'll start the overwhelming majority of game, but with others across the back line missing games, I think Gerrard would be reluctant to make the change.

I fear the more he is unused then why would he not consider a move to the likes of Everton. Yes he will probably spend a bit of time on their bench but if he's getting paid 30/40k per week I'm sure that bench would be a very comfortable place.

I fear the more he is unused then why would he not consider a move to the likes of Everton. Yes he will probably spend a bit of time on their bench but if he's getting paid 30/40k per week I'm sure that bench would be a very comfortable place.
The thought of a young,talented player deciding the bench is the best place for him is a sad indictment of the game

The time to bring young players into the team is when we are winning and playing well. Bring Patterson and Kelly in tomorrow and we get beat it can have a massive effect on their mentality.

I agree we are lacking a bit of energy and drive but we have a big enough squad to change it up without throwing youngsters into the firing line.

I just checked and although it's not by minutes, Zungu clocked up 21 appearances last season and that's without being a first pick or pushing the guys in front of him for their place. Patterson will get more than enough game time this season with the increased amount of games our team will have across the cups, league and Europe. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw him get at least 20 to 30 appearances.

Last edited:
The thought of a young,talented player deciding the bench is the best place for him is a sad indictment of the game
It’s not really though it’s sit on the bench at Ibrox for a smaller wage or sit on the bench for Everton on something like 25 grand a week.

He’d have arguably had a better route to the first team with them as well tbh

Right now the position is tavs, but should never go back to the point of playing players through bad form, If tavs form drops Patterson should be playing

Hopefully we’ll see him on either Sunday or Wednesday (most likely Wednesday) but I’m sure he’ll get enough gametime throughout the season.

Problem is he’s not quite at Tavs level yet so we can’t just drop him for the sake of it as Tav on form is vital for us. I’m fairly certain we’ll see Tav being phased out over the next couple of seasons when Patterson is ready to takeover.

I don’t see him getting in from of Tav anytime soon. He may well play the odd game here and there but when Tav is doing things like scoring winners into the top corner from 30 yards and assisting goals he will rightfully keep the starting jersey imo.
And hitting the first man with 90% of his crossing. But we can all be selective in what we see I suppose.

If Patterson played last weekend we don’t win that game. Tav is still far too important to the way the team plays.
And that’s why we’ll probably sell Patterson to an EPL side for less than half of his potential value next summer. The fee will still be decent given his relative lack of games - we can’t be comparing it to the likes of Tierney who was first choice for a while before he was sold.

Tav will be doing that for another 2/3/4 years no bother, he’s an absolute specimen.

What EPL team might use him as first choice?
If he went to Everton it wouldn’t take him too long to replace Coleman imo. He has been a terrific player for Everton over the years but isn’t half the player he used to be.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Everton came back in for him in January.

If we are playing 60 odd games a season, and that’s not including friendlies, and Patterson gets one in 4 or 5 then that’s ideal for the moment. He will also get international games hopefully as well.

If we want two good players for every position then there are always gonna be times when some of the younger ones like Bassey and Patterson go through spells without a game. I think because Patterson is young, Scottish and a Rangers fan, then there is perhaps more of a clamour than normal, but you when you are expected to win nearly every game then that sentiment can’t come into the equation. Tav’s goals and assists have been pivotal to our success, and Patterson still has a little bit to go in that respect.

He is still fairly young and if he was to play too much then he could be at the risk of burnout and susceptible to injuries like Tierney has proved. He played solidly for about 4 years, then has barely been fit for 10 games in a row since.

Patterson will still get plenty of game time this season. The run of fixtures of where we have to play 3 games in a week have only just started and it is likely that Patterson will start ahead of Tav for some of those fixtures. Not because of form but rather because of rotation/squad management.

With injuries already causing issues for us its important that we need to utilise the squad more to keep players fresh and healthy. Patterson (and others like Kelly, Bassey etc) will be used more often.

He is a good enough footballer to play midfield, drive/energy/skill and good for a goal, if you disagree let me know what makes you think he could not play there.

is we end up selling him for around 10 million could be crazy considering tav will probably only be at the club for another couple of years

there will be a uproar if patterson is sold and rightly so
Good point made, we may have considered selling Tav and making way for Patterson. We seem to let players stay too long, that is poor management.

Hate to say it but we could learn from the the unwashed how to deal in the transfer market

He is a good enough footballer to play midfield, drive/energy/skill and good for a goal, if you disagree let me know what makes you think he could not play there.
He probably is yes although that’s not his position at the moment and it certainly wouldn’t help his gametime issue as he wouldn’t get into our midfield at the moment either.

Good point made, we may have considered selling Tav and making way for Patterson. We seem to let players stay too long, that is poor management.

Hate to say it but we could learn from the the unwashed how to deal in the transfer market
Tav will be 30 nearly 31 when next summer comes around and will probably be our last chance to cash in on him and make way for Patterson if he’s developing at a good rate

The time to bring young players into the team is when we are winning and playing well. Bring Patterson and Kelly in tomorrow and we get beat it can have a massive effect on their mentality.

I agree we are lacking a bit of energy and drive but we have a big enough squad to change it up without throwing youngsters into the firing line.

I'm sick and tired of using a players age as the reason not too play them, if they are good enough they are old enough.

Patterson is a Scottish internationalist and will be itching too start more games for us. Imagine the scenario of Clarke advising Nathan that he won't be Scotland's 1st choice RB due too lack of game time with Rangers - I don't believe he'd quietly accept this, he would demand games or a move.

Kelly is 21. I have said this before, time for SG to be honest with the lad, he either has a future with us or not. If he has a future play him and rest Davis, who is being run into the ground.

Back