Patterson

Good point made, we may have considered selling Tav and making way for Patterson. We seem to let players stay too long, that is poor management.

Hate to say it but we could learn from the the unwashed how to deal in the transfer market
Tierney/Ajer/Van Dijk/Forster/Armstrong are the ones i can think of off the top of my head, all for good money as well.

He will be second choice to Tav and rightly so.
the youth players don’t get much of a look in at Rangers, we should be giving them more of a chance

It’s not really though it’s sit on the bench at Ibrox for a smaller wage or sit on the bench for Everton on something like 25 grand a week.

He’d have arguably had a better route to the first team with them as well tbh

what’s that opinion based on that they
I'm sick and tired of using a players age as the reason not too play them, if they are good enough they are old enough.

Patterson is a Scottish internationalist and will be itching too start more games for us. Imagine the scenario of Clarke advising Nathan that he won't be Scotland's 1st choice RB due too lack of game time with Rangers - I don't believe he'd quietly accept this, he would demand games or a move.

Kelly is 21. I have said this before, time for SG to be honest with the lad, he either has a future with us or not. If he has a future play him and rest Davis, who is being run into the ground.

Why do you think they play under 23 football in some countries?

“If you are good enough, you are old enough” is also a horrendous saying. You may be technically gifted but physically and mentally not ready.

This season if we win the league we go straight into the champions league. So why would we play players that aren’t better than those ahead of them. Gerrard wouldn’t be doing his job properly if we dropped points by taking risks on young players

patterson and Kelly have a lot of potential but at this moment they aren’t better than tav or the other midfielders. They will get their chance when our coaching staff think it’s the right time.

what’s that opinion based on that they
Coleman is nearly finished, 33 next month and certainly not the player he once was especially post injury. Whereas Tav is turning 30 fit as anything and still has a few more years left in the tank.

Unless we sell Tav then I’d argue that he’d have a better route to the first team of Everton than he currently does here. However I think that’ll change and Tav will move on in the near future

They could buy another right back. Do they not have a right back youth player?
Coleman is nearly finished, 33 next month and certainly not the player he once was especially post injury. Whereas Tav is turning 30 fit as anything and still has a few more years left in the tank.

Unless we sell Tav then I’d argue that he’d have a better route to the first team of Everton than he currently does here. However I think that’ll change and Tav will move on in the near future

They could buy another right back. Do they not have a right back youth player?
They obviously could yes but I was basing off them signing Patterson for decent money which would probably make him their replacement right back instead of a youth player.

His competition would be Coleman and Kenny

Now,before I start I just want to say this is not about Tavernier,he’s our captain and a more productive rb is hard to find,but I would absolutely love to start seeing a bit more of young Nathan,I know it’s early in the season etc but if not now when?his energy and capabilities are absolutely matched and I believe the others in the team will absolutely feed off that too.
The 1000th thread on this, boring

Its all about opinions obviously mate but I don’t think Patterson would see more game time at Everton than he would with us
It is mate exactly, just think at Everton he’d have a slightly clearer route to the first team than he does currently with us. Just my opinion though

If Patterson played last weekend we don’t win that game. Tav is still far too important to the way the team plays.
If Paterson’s crosses were on the spot we may have win it by more. Don’t know why I’m replying as I don’t really have a good answer to this problem between Tav and paterson, however I think my points valid

There’s a good chance we’d have drawn (at best) with St Johnston without Tav in that game. If not now, when? When Tav is injured, out with covid, rested or when we have a settled team and the game’s right for it. Gerrard said a couple of weeks ago that Patterson will be our first choice right back for a long time. I don’t get the rush with this tbh.

I mean he needs to take the chance when he does play. He played against Dunfermline and didn’t really stand out. For him to displace tav he needs to be a lot better than that when he gets the opportunities. From what we’ve seen of him so far, his final ball and passing is well below the level of tav. On top of that against Dunfermline he was quite weak in the air, if a team like Dunfermline are able to take advantage of that then he will need to improve if he thinks he has a chance to get a ahead of tav.

And none of that is taking into account the leadership qualities that tav provides, the game last week of Nathan is playing we don’t win the game.

If Paterson’s crosses were on the spot we may have win it by more. Don’t know why I’m replying as I don’t really have a good answer to this problem between Tav and paterson, however I think my points valid
Tav put one on a plate for Morelos last week. I like Patterson but his final ball is nowhere near as good as taverniers.

Tav put one on a plate for Morelos last week. I like Patterson but his final ball is nowhere near as good as taverniers.
Ain’t disagreeing with you mate just playing devils advocate I suppose, it’s one of those, we’ll never know, things. For what it’s worth, I want to keep both, personally I’d run through a wall just to be even on a rangers bench and paterson is one of our own so hopefully it works itself out

Personally id sell Tav in the summer and Progress Nathan as i can see him going to the very top

Id also play Nathan in all domestic cup games and a few home games against the bottom 6

Where will he go? The amount of quality right backs in the premiership is unreal, so would more than likely be a championship team
I’m sure he will attract some offers if we win the league and do well in Europe again but the problem is wether Tav would want a crack at captaining Rangers in champions league football or the big money of the EPL to let Patterson takeover.

Harsh as it sounds, I think we’ve had the best of Tav now.
He’d still to a job for us for a good few seasons yet imo but the emergence of Patterson will probably cut his Rangers career short.

This summer could sadly be our last chance of cashing in on Tav for decent enough money and if Patterson continues his rise then I’m sure he’ll earn his place. Tav will always be down in history as the captain who lifted number 55 (as well as 56 of course)

We must find a way of getting Nathan Patterson in the starting line up. He's simply too good to be on be bench. Not saying instead of Tav. Just considering alternative options. The manager did mention this in preseason and we need his talent and energy on the pitch.

I’m sure he will attract some offers if we win the league and do well in Europe again but the problem is wether Tav would want a crack at captaining Rangers in champions league football or the big money of the EPL to let Patterson takeover.
I’m not sure tav would get a game for many epl teams if I’m being honest. He’s been a great servant for rangers but I’m not deluded enough to think he’s better than the the rights backs in show down there just now

I’m not sure tav would get a game for many epl teams if I’m being honest. He’s been a great servant for rangers but I’m not deluded enough to think he’s better than the the rights backs in show down there just now
Completely get that mate and it’s one those things but I think he’d do a job for a couple of teams down there.

I’d say he offers more than a few right backs in the EPL do tbf

Completely get that mate and it’s one those things but I think he’d do a job for a couple of teams down there.

I’d say he offers more than a few right backs in the EPL do tbf
Looking at it the teams he would be certain starter for he might not suit, teams like Burnley etc.
It’s a positive for rangers though that there’s a crazy depth of talent at right back just now, means no one comes in for him

Loan til January would have been the best option imo. At a top 4 SPL team where he can influence games against the scum and get the experience he needs for his development at this stage. Then he can transition to taking over from Tav. Kicking his heels on the sidelines isn't doing anyone any favours.

Crazy to think an EPL team may use him as first choice yet we wont. However, it a very difficult position to get into as Tav is our No.1 choice.
If every PL team had Tav and Patterson at their disposal, Tav would be first pick at every one of them. It's shite on Patterson as he is good enough, but fact is for now we still have a better option.

If he went to Everton it wouldn’t take him too long to replace Coleman imo. He has been a terrific player for Everton over the years but isn’t half the player he used to be.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Everton came back in for him in January.
He would go straight into the Everton team Tav would not get a look in their that's why they bid for Patterson.

Personally id sell Tav in the summer and Progress Nathan as i can see him going to the very top

Id also play Nathan in all domestic cup games and a few home games against the bottom 6
Could we sell him though, I have not heard anything about any team even interested in Tav.

I'm sure he has his head screwed on but when your sitting on the bench in a SPL match when you possibly could of been first choice RB for a good midlevel Prem team then it would be easy to let the mind wander.

Given Seamus Coleman is a significantly better player than Tav, that wasn’t happening. Doesn’t seem to have crossed many people’s minds that Everton were trying to steal him on the cheap for the future. $8mm buys reserve team players in England these days! In my view, Patterson will not be anyone’s #1 full back (except Scotland’s) in the next 15 months unless he goes to a smaller club for games every week.

There’s a good chance we’d have drawn (at best) with St Johnston without Tav in that game. If not now, when? When Tav is injured, out with covid, rested or when we have a settled team and the game’s right for it. Gerrard said a couple of weeks ago that Patterson will be our first choice right back for a long time. I don’t get the rush with this tbh.
Correct on all fronts.

Given Seamus Coleman is a significantly better player than Tav, that wasn’t happening. Doesn’t seem to have crossed many people’s minds that Everton were trying to steal him on the cheap for the future. $8mm buys reserve team players in England these days! In my view, Patterson will not be anyone’s #1 full back (except Scotland’s) in the next 15 months unless he goes to a smaller club for games every week.
I disagree. Teams like Everton are far more likely to give youngsters a chance than we are. If Everton lose a match it ain't a big deal and fans no doubt have forgotten about it by the time they get home. We lose a match and you know the rest... And for what is worth I'm 100% sure Nathan will far exceed Tav or Coleman.

If Everton were seriously offering 10 million, we should have sold him. He's a great prospect but completely unproven to perform consistently week in week out, unproven at the top top level.

We could have got 10 million and made no impact to our team that was invincible last season.

If we sold tav, he comes in and plays a great season, he'll be off the epl anyway the next season, and we'll have no right back. We'll get 15-20 mil max for any player in our squad these days. So the gain would be marginal. See what has happened across the city for evidence.

Dont get me wrong, if he was going to stick around for 4 years, my opinion would be different.

I disagree. Teams like Everton are far more likely to give youngsters a chance than we are. If Everton lose a match it ain't a big deal and fans no doubt have forgotten about it by the time they get home. We lose a match and you know the rest... And for what is worth I'm 100% sure Nathan will far exceed Tav or Coleman.
Could we no play Patterson at right back and move Tav into midfield , we are crying out for attacking mid fielders, or is that too simplistic

The time to bring young players into the team is when we are winning and playing well. Bring Patterson and Kelly in tomorrow and we get beat it can have a massive effect on their mentality.

I agree we are lacking a bit of energy and drive but we have a big enough squad to change it up without throwing youngsters into the firing line.
If hes good enough for Scotland and we have reportedly knocked back 8 million from Everton then hes surely good enough to play against Motherwell. It's hardly throwing him into the firing line. Same goes for kelly. We have to find a way of fitting this boy into our team. The young lyon right back at 19 year old strolled it the other night

I absolutely love the way Nathan plays football …really goes at defenders with no fear

We could have gone with that attitude on Thursday night imho

Patterson hasn’t done anything to suggest he should be playing ahead of Tav. Bassey earned the right to start ahead of Barasic for those games, Patterson hasn’t done that yet.

In the Dunfermline game if Tav had made the mistakes and misplaced passes Patterson did there would’ve been multiple threads in here about it, the boy will get his chance he just needs to be patient.

And I agree 100% with that, just not for the next 12-18 months He might even exceed St Tierney of Arsenal because he isn’t as fragile.

Back