Paul Clement gives a few home truths

Bonnyloyal

Reading: Paul Clement slams 'embarrassing' home defeat by Ipswich

• 2 hours ago
  • From the sectionReading
_101102765_paul_clement_ipswich_getty.jpg

Paul Clement has seen Reading take just seven points from a possible 21 since taking charge
Reading manager Paul Clement labelled his side's 4-0 home defeat by Ipswich as "shameful and embarrassing".

The defeat leaves the Royals still requiring a point on the final day of the Championship season at promotion-chasing Cardiff to secure survival.

Reading conceded four goals in the last 20 minutes as they lost for a second successive league game.

"I have to make a big apology to the supporters who've seen that," he told BBC Radio Berkshire.

Reading are two points above the relegation zone in 19th going into the last game, but would be relegated if they lose at Cardiff and Bolton and Burton both win and Birmingham City avoid defeat.

"I don't think as a manager, I've had to stand in front of the media and try and explain a performance as poor as that," Clement said.

"It's quite clear that it's shameful and embarrassing.

"The nature of the first, second and third goals is very, very difficult to explain. It's not even schoolboy level defending, it's just lack of professionalism to do the job they were required.

"To lose in that manner puts a big question mark over the mentality and professionalism of this team."

Clement has won just two of the seven matches he has been in charge for since succeeding Jaap Stam as manager in late March.

"We've failed again to take our opportunity to deliver a performance and get the result we need to make sure we're playing at this level," he added.

"We're now in a position that we wanted to avoid, which is having to go to Cardiff and get a result. If we don't, it's in the lap of the gods.

I laughed at that but do you think Murty will ever be a senior manager again? I can't see anyone taking a punt, he has been a complete wreck.

No, I very much doubt it. But then again I hear that Super Ally is being quoted as favourite to take over from Jim Duffy at Morton . . . So there ARE still some loonies out there who believe that you can polish a turd!

Reading: Paul Clement slams 'embarrassing' home defeat by Ipswich

• 2 hours ago
  • From the sectionReading
_101102765_paul_clement_ipswich_getty.jpg

Paul Clement has seen Reading take just seven points from a possible 21 since taking charge
Reading manager Paul Clement labelled his side's 4-0 home defeat by Ipswich as "shameful and embarrassing".

The defeat leaves the Royals still requiring a point on the final day of the Championship season at promotion-chasing Cardiff to secure survival.

Reading conceded four goals in the last 20 minutes as they lost for a second successive league game.

"I have to make a big apology to the supporters who've seen that," he told BBC Radio Berkshire.

Reading are two points above the relegation zone in 19th going into the last game, but would be relegated if they lose at Cardiff and Bolton and Burton both win and Birmingham City avoid defeat.

"I don't think as a manager, I've had to stand in front of the media and try and explain a performance as poor as that," Clement said.

"It's quite clear that it's shameful and embarrassing.

"The nature of the first, second and third goals is very, very difficult to explain. It's not even schoolboy level defending, it's just lack of professionalism to do the job they were required.

"To lose in that manner puts a big question mark over the mentality and professionalism of this team."

Clement has won just two of the seven matches he has been in charge for since succeeding Jaap Stam as manager in late March.

"We've failed again to take our opportunity to deliver a performance and get the result we need to make sure we're playing at this level," he added.

"We're now in a position that we wanted to avoid, which is having to go to Cardiff and get a result. If we don't, it's in the lap of the gods.

This is exactly what Murty should have said after the semi-final.

Back