Paul Hartley on Greg Stewart

Bonnyloyal

Paul Hartley has already had a
 sit-down with Rangers new boy Greg Stewart to prepare him for life in the Old Firm goldfish bowl.

The Ibrox new boy’s former Dundee boss was delighted to see the 29-year-old clinch his dream move to his boyhood heroes earlier this week.

Hartley was the one who took a gamble when he took the talented attacker from part-time Cowdenbeath to Dens Park and since then Stewart has gone on to Birmingham and now to Rangers, via loan spells at Aberdeen and Kilmarnock.

Hartley, who made his own switch from Hearts to Celtic at a similar age, has spoken to Stewart at length about how his life will now change and what he needs to do to be a success in Light Blue.

He said: “I’m delighted for Greg. He’s a Rangers fan and at 29 it’s a dream come true for him

“I’ve known for a couple of weeks Greg was going there and I met up with him and had a chat about things. I told him he was going to play for an Old Firm team and he has to prepare himself for that.

“It’s a different world when you go
to Rangers or Celtic, in terms of the professionalism and what you need to do and be aware of. His life will change and he knows that.

“I went to Celtic at 30. I was experienced and I was a similar position to Greg where I was joining my boyhood team.

“You know when you go there that there are really good players about you and you aren’t guaranteed a game but you need to force your way into the team.”

The arrival of Stewart has raised more than a few eyebrows among the Rangers support. Stewart struggled to make an impact at Birmingham and in his two loans at Aberdeen, although he did light up the Premiership at the start of this season when he was with Kilmarnock.

And Hartley doesn’t expect his former charge to just make up the numbers in Steven Gerrard’s multi-talented squad either.

He added: “Greg showed his quality at Kilmarnock and against Rangers he scored a magnificent goal

He was on top of his game in the first half of the season and then it didn’t quite work out for him in the second half of the season for whatever reason.

“It’s a great opportunity for Greg and I don’t think anyone can begrudge him it. People might question him but it’s up to Greg to go and prove people wrong and I’m sure he will.

“He knows he will need to work hard because it won’t be easy for him. At 29 he has to grasp the opportunity to go there and not be a squad player. I don’t think he will be. He has to go impress, be as fit as he can be and be ready.

“He has such great quality and ability and it comes down to where Rangers want to play him.

“I’d play him off a front player because he can open defences up and score. For me he has more than enough ability. I know he is as good as anybody on his day.

“But he can also play in the wider area and he will offer Rangers good versatility. He has scored over 45 goals in his spells at Dundee, Kilmarnock and Aberdeen

“I don’t think that’s a bad return because he’s not a No. 9. He has a good goalscoring record. He is also good on the ball and you know when he has it there is a fair chance something is going to happen.

“He was different class at Kilmarnock and if he’d stayed there and maintained that form he would have been in the running for the Player of the Year.”

Stewart’s rise to fame mirrors that of his ex-Dundee team-mate Scott Bain whom Hartley also took from part-time football at Alloa and is now playing for Celtic and Scotland. Hartley recalls Stewart’s early days in full-time football and how it was something of a culture shock to him.

He said: “I took Greg and Bain from part-time football and look where they have ended up.

“Greg is a great boy but you only have to look at where he was five years ago.

“I remember his first pre-season in Hungary with us. It was a real eye-opener for him because he’d been used to working and then training just
two nights a week a Cowdenbeath.

“He found the start really tough but got fitter and fitter and we all knew the quality he had

Slightly off topic but why didn’t we sign him on loan in January rather than let him join the sheep again. Would’ve given him time to settle in and see if he has the character to play for us

Reading that article made me look at Stewart stats in the Scottish premiership, (going to be a bit wanky here, but bare with me) according to Tranfermkt he’s played 9,549 minutes in the SPL for his various clubs, which works out at 104 full matches, I always think thats a better way of looking at players return, rather than appearances as they could amount to 10 minutes off the bench etc.

In 104 full SPL 90 minutes he has scored 33 goals and had 36 assists, so played a part in 69 goals. Thats a very good return in our league for a guy who isn’t a striker, and its easy to see why we’ve went for him based on that alone.

Reading that article made me look at Stewart stats in the Scottish premiership, (going to be a bit wanky here, but bare with me) according to Tranfermkt he’s played 9,549 minutes in the SPL for his various clubs, which works out at 104 full matches, I always think thats a better way of looking at players return, rather than appearances as they could amount to 10 minutes off the bench etc.

In 104 full SPL 90 minutes he has scored 33 goals and had 36 assists, so played a part in 69 goals. Thats a very good return in our league for a guy who isn’t a striker, and its easy to see why we’ve went for him based on that alone.

I think he, and Jones, will be very useful for us.

They might not start every game, but I would far rather have them as options than Grezda and Lafferty like last season.

Slightly off topic but why didn’t we sign him on loan in January rather than let him join the sheep again. Would’ve given him time to settle in and see if he has the character to play for us
prob couldn't guarantee him a game id imagine he knew he'd be a starter with smaller clubs just a guess tho

That’s some great analysis and very exciting when you look at those numbers. I look forward to seeing what he can do in a Rangers shirt.

If anybody sounded and looked like a TIM then its paul hartley.
Lazy speaker , talks out the side of his mouth.
Always needs a good wash and shave.

I am thinking west of scotland tim, and hartley is no hipster with that beard.

Gotcha... I was at a function when he was manager of Alloa. Only man in a senior position that could walk in to a room surreptitiously looking like he was going to knock someone’s half pint if they put it down.

Who cares what a 19th Century Terrorist bastard like Hartley who said in an interview if he could be any animal he’d be a pigeon “so he could fly over Ibrox and shite over everyone”!!

Fat helmet!

He's not going to start every week, but he's a very good option when things are tight and we need a wee bit of craft or guile to nick the points.

@Tagsbear has already pointed out just how good his SPL stats are.

Who can forget the night he cut inside Flanagan and placed a beauty in the top corner beyond McGregor?

He'll play his part I reckon.

I prefer to look at what is said rather than who said it. Hartley makes a few valid points. He is still a hateful ugly arsehole, none the less.

From what you have posted above it could well be that Stewart is the no.10 that we so badly need. Until we sign the mythical no.10 that has been spoken of these past 2 seasons, Stewarts stats are definitely impressive enough to suggest that he will be given a chance in that role. Perhaps not the sexy name we all want but if Greg does the job you won't hear me complaining.

We badly need a #10 such as he.
Here’s hoping he succeeds.

There's an awful lot of good points being made in that article. I really don't like being the reader response critic, but the actual thrust of this article deserves better on this thread.
Yes, one being that he’s best utilised as a no 10.
I think he’ll be a good signing for us.

I wasn’t keen on the signing of Stewart initially but now I’m coming round to it and think he’ll go on to surprise a lot of us next season!

On the subject of Hartley, Walter Smith was interested in signing him before he went to the mentally challengeds but the tramp dingied his calls.

Yes, one being that he’s best utilised as a no 10.
I think he’ll be a good signing for us.
Gerrard will demand more from Stewart, that is one implication of Hartley's comments. If he takes on board what Gerrard wants then he may have a big part to play next season.

Given some of the struggles that some players in the squad have had in playing for Rangers for the first time this season, I can't really see much wrong in a former Celtic player sitting him down and giving him some advice about how big of a job it will be. He clearly wants him to succeed.

Back