Paul McStay throwing his boots into the jungle in 1992.

John Collins had the playing career McStay should have.

From 1991 onwards McStay was done, looked devoid of confidence and genuinely had very little about him.

"There's a buzz about the place ", " so as its turned out naebody wants me, can whoever got ma boots please return them as I need them for next season ". "Ta".

Aye, and you're a humourless tube, so what's your point?

My point is it’s utterly pathetic how much importance some of our own grant to nonentities.

the thought path of somebody who posts a thread like this “I’m just going to post a Paul McStay thread on the Rangers forum, in 2020”

strange.

each to their own though Mr Humour.

You saw the same when that ugly wee Tim that played against us when he got loaned to Hibs when we were both in the Championship ended up signing for Bari - in the Italian lower leagues.

Never been heard of again, so much so I can't remember his name but by christ he was an ugly fecker.
Liam Henderson .

My point is it’s utterly pathetic how much importance some of our own grant to nonentities.

the thought path of somebody who posts a thread like this “I’m just going to post a Paul McStay thread on the Rangers forum, in 2020”

strange.

each to their own though Mr Humour.

You must be a knockout at parties, mate. I guess, on point of principle, you don't laugh at old jokes because they're years old...
Talk about dour faced, ffs...

Paul there’s a buzz about the place Mcstay.

Remember doing the the conga on Paisley road after the Raith game, what a night...

Some mutant wrote a song for him.

Now a song needs a bit of rhyming in it for sure...check out this utter gash for the lack of it.

Scotland and Attention just don't rhyme FFS!

Here it goes, spew yer guts.

Attacking, defending, passing and shooting,
He’s in world class, there’s no disputing,
His genius in midfield caught the whole worlds attention,
He’s Paul McStay of the Celtic and Scotland.

As a boy and a youth his talent’s outstanding,
Bound for the top that’s where he was going,
The English they wanted and south of the border,
But his heart lay with Celtic, they needn’t have bothered.

Twisting and turning, confusing opponents,
Bringing fans to their feet with those magic moments,
A hero to all young players all watch him,

With the Hearts and the Dons he’s never in danger,
And oh how we watched him destroying the Rangers,
A flash of his skill leaves all the rest standing,

On the world stage he made an impression,
For his country he plays with pride and passion,
They want him in Europe, to them he’s no stranger,
But he won’t leave the Celtic, of that there’s no danger.

Twisting and turning, confusing opponents,
Bringing fans to their feet with those magic moments,
A hero to all young players all watch him,

You must be a knockout at parties, mate. I guess, on point of principle, you don't laugh at old jokes because they're years old...
Talk about dour faced, ffs...

If not posting videos and songs about fucking Paul McStay makes me dour faced then I’ll happily take that title.

Each to their own I suppose.

I never got the hype about McStay until one night I went to Hampden with my dad and watched him absolutely excel against Belgium in a meaningless European qualifier (we were already out), seriously he was immense.
The best I ever saw him play, in what was basically a friendly.

My old man called him the original crab, sideways & back more than a seaside nipper !!

Havent read whole thread but iam sure it would have been mentioned already, that the celtic fans used to boo him regular

Absolutely.

Far too many unwilling to try their luck abroad. I know Lambert gets dogs abuse but you have to admire someone like him leaving Motherwell (being told he'll be back within three months with his tail between his legs to sign a new contract) to chance his luck with the likes of PSV and Dortmund.

Tom Carroll at Spurs knocked back Ajax in the Champions League to play with QPR in the Championship. I genuinely can't understand that level of thinking.
Scrote Brown always pops into my head when I think about the lack of ambition. Would rather give it large against a Rangers team nailed to the floor for the best part of a decade. Says a lot about the guy.

McStay was a very good player and a pretty decent lad. Certainly not in the same mould as Lennon, Brown or thumbheid.
Not a fan of McStay by any means but he had more dignity and decorum in his pinky toe than Griffiths, Brown and Lennon...combined. Still resides in his hometown of Larkhall as far as im aware.

I'm gonna go against the grain here and say I thought he was a fantastic player.

I know it would not happen but I would have loved him to play along side Souness and Durrant in the Rangers midfield

Reactions: WBD
He didnt seem bitter, just a auld school tim.
Marrying another tim, mass and 20 weans.
The bitter cant at the time i and everybody hated was peter grant.
Mcstay should never have been a captain,possibly a decent guy but not a leader of men.

He didnt seem bitter, just a auld school tim.
Marrying another tim, mass and 20 weans.
The bitter cant at the time i and everybody hated was peter grant.
Mcstay should never have been a captain,possibly a decent guy but not a leader of men.
My peter grant story
he is from the same village as me, his parents house was just up the street, next to the park where we played football.
We used to walk ever so slowly past the house with our gers kits on hoping he would see us so we could flick the Vs etc (we were about 10)- you knew he was visiting as he was going about in a fancy red sports car at the time.
One night after the BBs, i went to visit a relative who was visiting from the states at a local hotel. walks in through the bar area and there is Grunt sitting with his bird. he looks up at me, so the BB jumper gets lifted to show the gers top underneath and he gets the finger also!!!! TBF he just smiled .

My peter grant story
he is from the same village as me, his parents house was just up the street, next to the park where we played football.
We used to walk ever so slowly past the house with our gers kits on hoping he would see us so we could flick the Vs etc (we were about 10)- you knew he was visiting as he was going about in a fancy red sports car at the time.
One night after the BBs, i went to visit a relative who was visiting from the states at a local hotel. walks in through the bar area and there is Grunt sitting with his bird. he looks up at me, so the BB jumper gets lifted to show the gers top underneath and he gets the finger also!!!! TBF he just smiled .

I used to speak wi grants cousin Steven and he didnae have any kind words for him at all.

I’ll be fair to McStay - he was much better than ‘bang average’ - but nor was he the sort of world class player who would have thrived in Serie A (as we were frequently told by several rags).

The proposed move to Everton which fell through sounded about his level.

I think you've nailed it.

He was a great player for them, and had great skill. But he was hailed as world class for a good strike against Iceland, ffs. The Scottish press at their most neutral and objective of course.

He probably was the best Scottish midfielder at that point in the early to mid eighties but once Durrant hit the stratosphere under Souness, then the likes of Trevor Steven coming in he was playing second fiddle. His swansong in some respects would have been 87/88.

But the notion of throwing his boots into the jungle, when no one of note wanted him, is classic filth.

When you think how good Platt was and he only secured a move to Bari, the Italian league was so strong in the 80s he'd so well to make it in Serie C

I'd have been 12 so I do remember it. What I remember of mcstay is that he was a decent player, decent as in against the rest. I don't remember him providing masterclasses against us, in fact I remember every midfielder we ever had bossing him time after time. He was great in a celtc team but every single player we got, used and sold were all better than him.

Was it Mick McCarthy that said McStay was a better player than Gerrard a few years back? :))

Not a fan of McStay by any means but he had more dignity and decorum in his pinky toe than Griffiths, Brown and Lennon...combined. Still resides in his hometown of Larkhall as far as im aware.
I've had some limited dealings with McStay, he actually bought my mothers house.

There was nobody better at Celtic at playing the ball 2 or 3 metres to the side. It's a wonder why AC Milan weren't breaking down the door.

Enjoyed watching the Raith equaliser and seeing Jason Dair show up Tom Boyd for the amateur he was. David Robertson was miles ahead of him.

Back