Paul McStay throwing his boots into the jungle in 1992.

Once he realised he wasn't off to the foreign leagues that his talent so richly deserved, he quickly had to get back in there and look for them.
Ha ha, what a tit...

A very random thread, unless I've missed something.

But highly entertaining nonetheless. *thumbsup* :))

I'll lose a lot of staunch points here, but McStay was some player, just played in loads of weak scum teams.
mentally challengeds didn't have numbers on back but you knew exactly who he was.
20 times the players who've lorded it up the last 9 seasons, playing against no cünt.

Still a wrong yin though.
Got to disagree with your first claim. McStay was an average player with a world class loser's mentality.

The hype surrounding him was unreal. Bang average at best yet he was going to half of the Italian teams at the time.

he was a failed captain. Forever remembered as captaining them to Rangers 9 in a Row.

I’ll be fair to McStay - he was much better than ‘bang average’ - but nor was he the sort of world class player who would have thrived in Serie A (as we were frequently told by several rags).

The proposed move to Everton which fell through sounded about his level.

Always liked the FF article about him, not long after he decided to deprive Serie A of his potential ....

The poster who wrote the article cruelly suggested his name was almost a perfect anagram of Stay A Chump :))

I don't believe he didn't get offers.

My guess is he shat it and stayed in his comfort zone of six yard passes sideways and 3rd place in the league which brought him a consistent 8/10 in the Sunday Mail starcheck each week.

Most likely. As tends to be the case with British players in general.

Reactions: SDF
Most likely. As tends to be the case with British players in general.

Absolutely.

Far too many unwilling to try their luck abroad. I know Lambert gets dogs abuse but you have to admire someone like him leaving Motherwell (being told he'll be back within three months with his tail between his legs to sign a new contract) to chance his luck with the likes of PSV and Dortmund.

Tom Carroll at Spurs knocked back Ajax in the Champions League to play with QPR in the Championship. I genuinely can't understand that level of thinking.

Last edited:
Absolutely.

Far too many unwilling to try their luck abroad. I know Lambert gets dogs abuse but you have to admire someone like him leaving Motherwell (being told he'll be back within three months with his tail between his leg to sign a new contract) to chance his luck with the likes of PSV and Dortmund.

Tom Carroll at Spurs knocked back Ajax in the Champions League to play with QPR in the Championship. I genuinely can't understand that level of thinking.

Completely agree. Can’t stand Lambert but fair play. There really aren’t many Souness’s, Francis’s, Wilkins and Gazza’s who were willing to chance their arm abroad. I’d give credit to owen for doing it if his recollection of getting used to life abroad wasn’t so tragic.

Even now days Jack Wilshere would rather play for Bournemouth than Roma.

I remember one tim telling me he had a change of heart and wanted to play all his career at ra selick...He wasn't interested in becoming a millionaire, aye right....Oh he said he was a homely family man and wanted to live in Scotland, the same guy who emigrated to Australia lol

did he not live up a tree in Larkhall.....Paul Playdo face

I’ll be fair to McStay - he was much better than ‘bang average’ - but nor was he the sort of world class player who would have thrived in Serie A (as we were frequently told by several rags).

The proposed move to Everton which fell through sounded about his level.
I’d agree with this, the amount of caps he won for Scotland in an era when we had quite a lot of talent to choose from also shows he wasn’t bang average, or absolute shite as some claim.

However he simply didn’t possess that winners mentality of a guy like Barry Ferguson and I think that’s what separates the two.

Plus he just looked like one of them.

Absolutely.

Far too many unwilling to try their luck abroad. I know Lambert gets dogs abuse but you have to admire someone like him leaving Motherwell (being told he'll be back within three months with his tail between his leg to sign a new contract) to chance his luck with the likes of PSV and Dortmund.

Even at a higher level, look at Alan Shearer, he had everything as a centre forward, an absolutely fantastic striker, yet has 1 winners medal at Blackburn and choose to go to his home town team rather than Man Utd where I reckon he would have been a genuine superstar in that side, winners medals galore to look back on as well.

Some people just aren’t cut out to take chances in life to better themselves.

Back