Paul McStay throwing his boots into the jungle in 1992.

Once he realised he wasn't off to the foreign leagues that his talent so richly deserved, he quickly had to get back in there and look for them.
Ha ha, what a tit...
Lol, I remember the media in Scotland creaming themselves at the thought of a big move.
Even better the following season he was scudded by a coin thrown by his own fans intended for Dale Gordon

Even at a higher level, look at Alan Shearer, he had everything as a centre forward, an absolutely fantastic striker, yet has 1 winners medal at Blackburn and choose to go to his home town team rather than Man Utd where I reckon he would have been a genuine superstar in that side, winners medals galore to look back on as well.

Some people just aren’t cut out to take chances in life to better themselves.
To be fair to Shearer, Newcastle were an ambitious club at the time, and it was the club he loved. Hindsight is 20/20,if he knew Newcastle were on the slide, he might have made a different decision.

To be fair to Shearer, Newcastle were an ambitious club at the time, and it was the club he loved. Hindsight is 20/20,if he knew Newcastle were on the slide, he might have made a different decision.

At the time the smart money would be on Shearer being the final piece in the Newcastle jigsaw to get them over the line.

Absolutely.

Far too many unwilling to try their luck abroad. I know Lambert gets dogs abuse but you have to admire someone like him leaving Motherwell (being told he'll be back within three months with his tail between his legs to sign a new contract) to chance his luck with the likes of PSV and Dortmund.

Tom Carroll at Spurs knocked back Ajax in the Champions League to play with QPR in the Championship. I genuinely can't understand that level of thinking.
Tbf he was back about 14 months later

McStay was a very good player in what became a terrible Celtic team. When the magnificent bastard took the reigns at Ibrox, Celtic's decent players became too old and their replacements were too pish. Having said that, McStay's regression was spectacular. His performance in the 92 SCF being a particularly pathetic example. Running around trying to kick the Rangers midfield and when that didn't work, playing so deep that Shitey Galloway and Andrew Waddell were their biggest attacking threat. And that was against ten men.

He was a decent player, but never a captain in a side that was miles off the pace of a dominant Rangers side. He should have moved on from Celtc, or at the very least, handed the captaincy over to someone else because he certainly didn’t have the cojones for what was required at the time to push a team to challenge us.

Now Iam not sure about this I love butting in on the mentally challengeds at work when its go nothing to do with me.
McStay this and that I said Big Albertz scored more goals in one season that that lady's front bottom scored in his whole career.
Silence!
I dont know if its true right enough.

Now Iam not sure about this I love butting in on the mentally challengeds at work when its go nothing to do with me.
McStay this and that I said Big Albertz scored more goals in one season that that lady's front bottom scored in his whole career.
Silence!
I dont know if its true right enough.
Doesn't matter if its true, I believe it is a known fact now.

The hype surrounding him was unreal. Bang average at best yet he was going to half of the Italian teams at the time.

he was a failed captain. Forever remembered as captaining them to Rangers 9 in a Row.
Mr side ways pass that's all he ever did wage thief of a footballer

I'll lose a lot of staunch points here, but McStay was some player, just played in loads of weak scum teams.
mentally challengeds didn't have numbers on back but you knew exactly who he was.
20 times the players who've lorded it up the last 9 seasons, playing against no cünt.

Still a wrong yin though.

I think he was a good player without really being a match winner.

Ian Durrant was a better player.

That game (it was his shirt he threw into the crowd) they needed a point to qualify for the UEFA Cup...they lost 1-2.

The outbreak of the Yugoslavian civil war that summer 'handed' them entry to it.

He was always going to Inter Milan. I lost count the number of times I read they were preparing a bid. Then one day a rival paper to the one running the story again actually did some leg work and asked Inter if it was true and they replied they'd never heard of him :))

To be fair he was a good player. Just not as good as he was made out to be!

He was shite, he was over rated. He gifted Raith Rovers the League Cup, he somehow got in the Scotland team before Ian Ferguson. And he knew.

I burst out laughing when I hear his name because I always think of the letter written by the demented yahoo who referred to him as the maestro. I’m sure it was a letter to the SFA about how the filth suffered from years of cheating and Masonic conspiracies, absolutely wonderful. Would love to see it again as it was on YouTube with some yahoo reading out the letter.

I used the work with a deranged bheast who claimed he was (after Dalglish) the best player Scotland has produced. He used to rage when I told him even Lambert was better :cool:

He was some player to be fair , I remember the screamer he scored against us at Ibrox in their centenary year unfortunately

Did we not refer to him as Blackadder - comes from a long line of Shettleston Harriers.
Moved to Oz with Anne Marie and the six weans

I’ll be fair to McStay - he was much better than ‘bang average’ - but nor was he the sort of world class player who would have thrived in Serie A (as we were frequently told by several rags).

The proposed move to Everton which fell through sounded about his level.
He was on a totally different level from wee Murder and Lambert for that matter who both made the grade at Dortmund. Played in a shite team and stayed in his comfort zone...also, suspect he knew. Best Scottish player in my age group by a distance.

Lol, I remember the media in Scotland creaming themselves at the thought of a big move.
Even better the following season he was scudded by a coin thrown by his own fans intended for Dale Gordon

You saw the same when that ugly wee Tim that played against us when he got loaned to Hibs when we were both in the Championship ended up signing for Bari - in the Italian lower leagues.

Never been heard of again, so much so I can't remember his name but by christ he was an ugly fecker.

Back