Paul Scholes named Oldham Athletic manager

Jimmy Jazz

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46935128

Paul Scholes: Oldham Athletic name ex-Man Utd midfielder as manager

Paul Scholes has been named manager of League Two club Oldham Athletic.

The former Manchester United and England midfielder, 44, has taken his first managerial role, signing a one-and-a-half-year contract with the team he supported as a boy.

He was cleared by the English Football League to take the role, despite holding a 10% stake in Salford City.

The National League side have confirmed he has resigned as a director, but will retain his shareholding.

"Although Paul was never operational in Salford City he will resign as a director of the football club, allowing him to focus completely on his new role at Oldham," Salford said in a statement.

"From the start we have always said that each of the 'Class of 92' would offer different levels of commitment dependant on their individual roles."

Salford could be promoted to League Two this season and EFL rules prevent a person holding roles with two clubs at the same time without prior consent - although a holding of 10% or less in a club is disregarded providing it is held "purely for investment purposes".

Scholes, who will be bringing in former Latics coach Mike Priest as his assistant, takes over with the club 14th in the table, nine points off the play-offs and 14 points above the relegation zone.

Academy manager Pete Wild has been at the helm since they sacked Frankie Bunn on 27 December following a 6-0 defeat against Carlisle United.

Wild led Oldham to a 3-0 win at Crawley Town on Saturday, ending a three-match losing sequence.

United legend Scholes said in October 2017 he had been interviewed for the manager's job at Boundary Park before Richie Wellens was appointed, and spoke of his desire to "get back into football in some capacity" after news of his talks with Oldham were reported in January.

"It's no secret how much he has wanted this job in the past and how much he loves this club, so I'm very happy to bring him into our family at Oldham Athletic," said owner Abdallah Lemsagam.

"Paul will have my backing 100% and hopefully we can work together to bring success back to this club."

The 'Golden Generation' and 'Class of 92'
Scholes was widely regarded as one of the best midfielders in world football and is the latest from England's so-called 'Golden Generation' to move into management.

He was often played out of position in a wide role with the national side to accommodate Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard, both of whom have taken their first steps into management with high-profile appointments prior to the start of this season.

Former Chelsea midfielder Lampard took over at Derby County and has guided the Rams to seventh place in the Championship, while Gerrard has taken Rangers to second position in the Scottish Premiership.

Former Tottenham and Arsenal defender Sol Campbell took over at League Two Macclesfield this season and Phil Neville is the current manager of the England Women's national team.

Another ex-United and England star, Phil's brother Gary Neville, had a brief but unsuccessful spell as Valencia boss, while former England and Chelsea captain John Terry is assistant boss at Aston Villa.

Scholes made 718 appearances for Manchester United, including 499 in the Premier League, and scored 155 goals in all competitions.

He initially announced his retirement at the end of the 2010-11 season and made a comeback at the start of 2012 before finally calling time on his career having won 11 Premier League titles, three FA Cups, two League Cups, five Community Shields and two Champions Leagues.

He also played 66 times for England, retiring after Euro 2004 to focus on his club career.

After his playing career finished, Scholes was part of the five-strong Manchester United 'Class of 92' to buy a controlling stake in Salford City and was briefly joint caretaker-manager, with Phil Neville, in 2015.

That, along with a short spell on the United coaching staff when the now Wales manager Ryan Giggs took temporary charge at Old Trafford following David Moyes' sacking in 2014, remains his only experience in the dugout.

Salford have won three promotions under the 'Class of 92's' ownership and are fifth in the National League, with hopes of climbing into the EFL for the first time in their history.

Never a manager in a million years. The guy's a charisma bypass.

All the stories around him from his Man Utd team mates seem to have the punchline of how hilarious he was when him hitting them with a ball.

Great passer, disgusting cowardly tackler, don't think he'll last more than 18 months in the management game.

I don't think he will be a success. Doesn't seem like an inspiring kind of guy and can imagine him getting frustrated with the lack of ability players have at that level.

Pleased for him.

Not sure if he will make it as a manager or not - but I actually enjoy his punditry. Straight to the point and no bullshit. Says it as it is. And I find his dry sense of humour funny as f.uck at times.

Personally speaking, I think the Oldham players will be massively motivated by playing for him.

I have my doubts, but it depends on his support staff, if he brings in a good communicating number 2, who can motivate the team, then maybe, but if they are relying on his inspirational team talks, they better bring a pillow.

Seems a right dour faced bastard on TV but could be completely different behind the scenes. Interesting to see how he does. He goes in with them probably safe from relegation and within a chance of the playoffs.

He’s a local lad who wanted to end his playing days at Oldham. My cousins wife works at the school where he sent his kids. Down to earth lad who never forgot his roots

Mr Personality...good luck to Oldham!
Can imagine his team talk, people talking over him and others falling asleep.
A boring fcucker.

Were talking about this on TalkSport earlier and they were saying how much lower league football he has watched in the past few years, with his involvement in Salford City etc. General chat was he'll go in with his eyes wide open and under no illusions that players at that level cannot be expected to do the things he could do or would hope for. I thought it was a great point and was nodding along, then I remembered he has all the personality of a tumble dryer and would probably lack the motivational skills and toughness required at that level.

Also, I think comparisons could be made with Barry Ferguson and the level he dipped his toe into. A famous moaning bastard who would regularly shout at players he thought not up to the standards in a Rangers team ffs, never mind what he expected of players from Clyde.

Ferguson never had the patience for mediocrity and if reports are true was overly critical of his part timers at Clyde. He'll never make it as a manager either.

He certainly had a big impact on things last night. My Oldham supporting mate say he's never seen them pepper the goal with shots from outside the box like they did last night. Straight from the Scholes manual of shoot on sight.

Back