Paulo Futre

Not one of the greats but a really talented winger/inside forward who doesn't really get talked about these days.

I remember him and Radacuio signing for West Ham and being a bit excited, that excitement lasted about a fortnight lol. Some player in early to mid 90s. Was he the player the taxi driver told Roxburgh wasnt going to play against Scotland?

I forgot how good he was OP. I remember seeing him, when I was a kid, in a European final, UEFA cup I think, and my brother telling me to watch Futre. He was some player.

Harry Redknapp tells of signing Futre and on day of debut hands him a shirt (no.18 I think) and Futre says “No. Futre no.10. No number 10 then Futre no play”. Redknapp tries to explain that it’s not possible due to squad numbers registered at the start of the season and that this is his number. Futre repeats the threat, Redknapp repeats he can’t and so Futre promptly gets dressed again and walks out the stadium! :)):))

He played in the one and only Scotland game I’ve ever attended.

Game was at Ibrox and he ripped Scotland apart, how it finished 0-0 I’ll never know.

Injuries meant he never fulfilled his potential. Was on course to be one of the very best. He was sensational for Porto when they won the European Cup in ’87.

Harry Redknapp tells of signing Futre and on day of debut hands him a shirt (no.18 I think) and Futre says “No. Futre no.10. No number 10 then Futre no play”. Redknapp tries to explain that it’s not possible due to squad numbers registered at the start of the season and that this is his number. Futre repeats the threat, Redknapp repeats he can’t and so Futre promptly gets dressed again and walks out the stadium! :)):))

I think it was John Moncur who had the 10 and when they eventually got dispensation to change it, Futre offered Moncur the summer months at his villa in Portugal as compensation!

He played in the one and only Scotland game I’ve ever attended.

Game was at Ibrox and he ripped Scotland apart, how it finished 0-0 I’ll never know.
I remember this one. I was there too, a midweek match. Futre was outstanding.
He came to prominence during Porto's surprise Champions League success in 1987. Unfortunately the final in which they defeated Bayern Munich wasn't televised live for reasons I can't remember.

He was a cracking player. Imagine refusing to play cos you've not got your favourite number on the back of your shirt. Think he's lucky he signed for Harry's UTD and not Fergie's UTD! Can only imagine how that would've played out!

I think it was John Moncur who had the 10 and when they eventually got dispensation to change it, Futre offered Moncur the summer months at his villa in Portugal as compensation!

Back