Peak Durrant or peak Barry?

This is the goal I was talking about.

And back to the OP’s original question, this is what we need in general, not just against them tomorrow.

Someone who can dance through a packed defence and score

Aribo could be that for us if he became a bit more aggressive and direct but that’s a different argument for a different day.

Barry was a great player and an inspirational captain, but a talent like Ian Durrant comes along once in a generation, if that.

I still get angry thinking about what happened to him.

Another idiotic thread comparing 2 Rangers greats this time Barry Ferguson and Ian Durrant against each other, who played different roles. Why don’t you compare them with today’s apologies Kamara and
Arfield ?

Another idiotic thread comparing 2 Rangers greats this time Barry Ferguson and Ian Durrant against each other, who played different roles. Why don’t you compare them with today’s apologies Kamara and
Arfield ?

Todays apologies :D ?

FWIW I think Ferguson and Durrant are better than both Kamara and Arfield talent wise but I could see Kamara going on to play for a seriously big club and possibly outperforming both of Ferguson and Durrants careers.

Ferguson best midfielder at the club in my lifetime. Could totally control a game. A really class player. Not a class human being but a first class footballer.
That’s a great point.
Emphasising that they were two entirely different types of player.
Durrant was brilliant at what he did.
Could have been a world beater if that injury had never occurred.
However, he could not control a game.
That is where Ferguson would have the upper hand.
He DID control games.
Often the whole game and not just in flashes.
We talk these days of “moments” players.
That‘d be Durrant.
There’d be a lot of moments from him though.

Durrant for me, Barry was fantastic but he let himself and the club down. Not having a dig as we all make mistakes in life but I’d like to think that a more mature Ferguson would probably agree.
Durrant was lucky a couple of times with Rangers.
He asked for a transfer around 88 after a fall out with Souness.
Souness said not until after the European “break” after round two by which time the rift had been sorted.
Then a second time when he and Duncan Ferguson were shipped off to Everton by Smith.
Durrant bounced back again which definitely showed a great deal of character.
Of course, nothing Durrant did on either occasion comes close to the embarrassment Ferguson caused himself and the club in 2009.

That’s a great point.
Emphasising that they were two entirely different types of player.
Durrant was brilliant at what he did.
Could have been a world beater if that injury had never occurred.
However, he could not control a game.
That is where Ferguson would have the upper hand.
He DID control games.
Often the whole game and not just in flashes.
We talk these days of “moments” players.
That‘d be Durrant.
There’d be a lot of moments from him though.

This is where I’m going to have to step in in defence of Ferguson.

Barry Ferguson scored almost double the amount of goals for us that Durrant scored in a similar number of games.

I’m (only) 34 so didn’t see as much of Durrant live as I’d have liked, but from what I’ve seen he’s probably more my type of midfielder than Ferguson.

However, all this talk of him being miles above Ferguson etc isn’t accurate for me and probably more reflective of peoples’ opinions of Barry’s media work than him as a player.

Durrant for me, as good as Ferguson was Durrant would have been one of the top midfielder in the game, he was a different level.

I’m (only) 34 so didn’t see as much of Durrant live as I’d have liked, but from what I’ve seen he’s probably more my type of midfielder than Ferguson.

However, all this talk of him being miles above Ferguson etc isn’t accurate for me and probably more reflective of peoples’ opinions of Barry’s media work than him as a player.
Durrant was a level above imo he would have been world class if he didn't get injured

What-was against what-could have been. So Ferguson, as he did it.

Sorry to be so matter of fact.
Correct.
It's potential against reality.
Ferguson dominated so many games for us,over an extended period.
Durrant was a wonderfully gifted player cut down before he had the chance to fulfil his massive potential.

Without the injury I believe there wouldn’t be any disagreement on this one for those who have seen both. No doubt BF was a top midfielder who could hold his own in top class company, however IMHO Durrant was better. We’ll never know just how good he would have been and that’s the tragedy. Simpson (still) has a lot to answer for. The photo just before the “tackle” shows his intent. And they celebrate him as a “hero” because of that whilst his ability as a footballer or good games he had are never mentioned.

I was only a baby when Durrant got his injury so haven't seen much of him pre injury. I can't help but think there's a slight nostalgia and bit of hyperbole around this debate though. I don't think any midfielder we've had in our history is "miles ahead" of peak Barry Ferguson. People arent acknowledging how much the knee injury effected Barry as well. He was one of the best midfielders in Europe and bossing games at the highest level at 20/21 for us. He was an incredible talent himself.

I was only a baby when Durrant got his injury so haven't seen much of him pre injury. I can't help but think there's a slight nostalgia and bit of hyperbole around this debate though. I don't think any midfielder we've had in our history is "miles ahead" of peak Barry Ferguson. People arent acknowledging how much the knee injury effected Barry as well. He was one of the best midfielders in Europe and bossing games at the highest level at 20/21 for us. He was an incredible talent himself.

This is similar to my opinion.

Ferguson played in a midfield with Gio, Albertz and Reyna/Kanchelskis and was the best player on the pitch. I struggle to believe Durrant was better than all 5 of them.

Durrant could and should have had his pick of any club in the world, if it wasn’t for that rat bastard Simpson. Not a slight on Barry but Durrant is right up there for me

Fergies debut wasn’t until the last game of the 9iar season at Tynecastle. Handful of appearances the next season and then DA arrived and put him straight into the team.

Had Walter remained for a further year or so I don’t think Barry would have been in the team. Wasn’t renowned for giving youth a chance and remember big brother was telling him to get away to England

I was fortunate enough to see both at their peak, along with other greats such as Cooper, Jardine, Laudrup and Gascoigne.

I would put Durrant beside Laudrup at a level above the rest.

Watching Durrant and Derek Ferguson boss the beasts all over their own midden at 18 and 17 year's old respectively was amazing. The League Cup final against the Sheep, where he even outshone Cooper. Durrant had speed of thought to match speed across the ground and a sureness of touch that was a joy to watch.

Last edited:
Too young to have seen peak Durrant, but I've seen all the footage. But if it wasn't "even close" then he must have been world class, because peak Fergie was just below that level. He was dictating games against England at Wembley and Champions League fixtures by the age of 21.

Had Walter remained for a further year or so I don’t think Barry would have been in the team. Wasn’t renowned for giving youth a chance and remember big brother was telling him to get away to England
He would have left for £100k to Motherwell, John McGregor and bomber convinced him to staying.

I’ve said this before, but if Barry Ferguson had stayed and continued the way he was, he’d have been heading for being considered the Greatest ever Ranger.
He was 25 when he left and had won 2 trebles, one of which he captained and dragged us to.
He was an absolutely phenomenal sitting midfielder who could dominate and control games, and he’d just added goals and late runs into the box in the 18 months before he left.
Unfortunately he left and got injured, and the Barry that returned was a shadow of the player with a much poorer attitude.
He still had the talent, but the position and role he wanted/ was asked to play were different, and I don’t really look back fondly at much of his second spell apart from maybe the initial first few months which took us to helicopter Sunday.
First 5 years though, as good a midfielder as I’ve seen in my 30 odd years and his performances in the CL make it comfortable to mention him alongside Souness, Gascoigne, Van Bronckhorst and Albertz as top midfielders we’ve had.

I’ve said this before, but if Barry Ferguson had stayed and continued the way he was, he’d have been heading for being considered the Greatest ever Ranger.
He was 25 when he left and had won 2 trebles, one of which he captained and dragged us to.
He was an absolutely phenomenal sitting midfielder who could dominate and control games, and he’d just added goals and late runs into the box in the 18 months before he left.
Unfortunately he left and got injured, and the Barry that returned was a shadow of the player with a much poorer attitude.
He still had the talent, but the position and role he wanted/ was asked to play were different, and I don’t really look back fondly at much of his second spell apart from maybe the initial first few months which took us to helicopter Sunday.
First 5 years though, as good a midfielder as I’ve seen in my 30 odd years and his performances in the CL make it comfortable to mention him alongside Souness, Gascoigne, Van Bronckhorst and Albertz as top midfielders we’ve had.
I would agree with most of this, I think Barry’s second spell was perfectly fine but his first spell was just too good.

The injury and evidently playing with lesser players frustrated him. You could see he felt he had to do it all himself because he didn’t trust some of his team mates.

He also carried a horrible injury the whole of the 05/06 season, like you said he had changed position but also was good for 8-10 goals a season. He had a really good 07/08 then another injury and the whole boozegate thing. Still popped up with a crucial goal v Hamilton in 08/09.

Barry is a huge “what if” because the sky was the limit prior to that day injury. Quite depressing in a sense, but he’s one of the greatest rangers for me regardless.

This is where I’m going to have to step in in defence of Ferguson.

Barry Ferguson scored almost double the amount of goals for us that Durrant scored in a similar number of games.
Great post mate and a very good point. I’m away to check the stats!

barry was an absolute beast of a player. even so, Durant wins by a country mile imo

Not something I get to say too often these days but I’m too young to have seen Durrant in his prime. I only saw/remember his 90s days. For me, Barry was the last truly top class midfielder we had. Vision, goals, decent pace and pure winner. Could be argued that if not for his own big injury at Blackburn he would have progressed to a bigger team in the EPL. He also played alongside and looked the part next to guys like Van Bronckhorst, Reyna, De Boer and Tugay as well as bossing the midfield in the Champions League.

Yeah I didn't think they were accurate.

However, I think nostalgia is playing a big part in a lot of the answers.
I totally agree, a fair bit of romanticism. Then again I can’t comment, way before my time to give a proper informed opinion.

I would agree with most of this, I think Barry’s second spell was perfectly fine but his first spell was just too good.

The injury and evidently playing with lesser players frustrated him. You could see he felt he had to do it all himself because he didn’t trust some of his team mates.

He also carried a horrible injury the whole of the 05/06 season, like you said he had changed position but also was good for 8-10 goals a season. He had a really good 07/08 then another injury and the whole boozegate thing. Still popped up with a crucial goal v Hamilton in 08/09.

Barry is a huge “what if” because the sky was the limit prior to that day injury. Quite depressing in a sense, but he’s one of the greatest Rangers for me regardless.
Greatest Ever Rangers don't leave for Blackburn but that's a different debate

Durrant every time

he was destined to be world class and could have walked into most sides pre assault from that sheep shagging prick

Barry was a great player and it’s not a slight on him to be runner up to Durrant

That’s only league goals to be fair, from memory Barry has 61 goals in 451 games. I’m not sure of Durrant’s.

Even then, your points still supported in some regard.
Yeah I was coming in with similar stats.
Durrant seemed to have his real breakthrough season in 87-88, in terms of being our main attacking midfielder and getting more goals.
sadly he was cut down in late 88, and apart from the one great full season in 92/93, he was never consistently a main man in our team.
Undoubtedly he still contributed, but he was on the wane for 3/4 years before he did eventually leave.
I think the other poster nailed it by saying no midfielder we’ve ever had was miles ahead of peak Barry, and delving more into this, I’m going to say I would plump for Barry as I do consider him when I think of our best players. I almost never think of Durrant if I’m thinking about my best Rangers 11.

Absolutely loved Barry in his prime but Durrant was a better player by some distance IMO.

Frightening to think what he could've achieved.

Greatest Ever Rangers don't leave for Blackburn but that's a different debate
It was me who said it and I agree with that. I got his name on my top about a week before. Was utterly raging with him and it still annoys me now. First Rangers Captain to ask for a transfer.
However, read what I said. “If he had stayed and continued as he was” is the whole point of it.

I totally agree, a fair bit of romanticism. Then again I can’t comment, way before my time to give a proper informed opinion.

I asked earlier if any Durrant performance could compare to some of Fergusons.

In Durrants outstanding games, he played in a midfield (86 cup final) with Cammy Fraser, Derek Ferguson and Ted McMinn.

Ferguson played (and captained) a midfield which included Albertz, Reyna and Gio and was the best player on the pitch more often than not.

I think Ferguson the man is clouding some judgements.

I was 5 when Durrant was assaulted and have no memory of him pre injury so I'm not able to form an opinion.

My first real memory of him was his goal against Marseilles and its still one of the sweetest strikes I can think of.
Great strike.
Too young to have seen peak Durrant, but I've seen all the footage. But if it wasn't "even close" then he must have been world class, because peak Fergie was just below that level. He was dictating games against England at Wembley and Champions League fixtures by the age of 21.
It is close, very close.
Those dismissing Ferguson obviously have an agenda. He was a quite magnificent talent, comparable to any of the great midfielders we've had, not saying better, but certainly comparable.

The pre-injury Durrant was unique.
Had had touch to die for, could spray passes around with the best of them, was lightning quick, could score goals but it was his inate ability to go beyond the front men that set him apart. It's an ability that very very few midfielders possess at the top level. The tragedy is that we never saw the best of him. We can only speculate on what level he could've reached.

Given what we did see,of both players it's a very very close call.

As to the OP's point on who would best suit us tomorrow? I'd take both!

Back