Pedro Chirivella a target?

It is self-evident that selling a player for 11 mil that cost only 500k makes good biz. sense. However, if it could be established that the team would be weakened by that players departure, placing in jeopardy the chances of winning a league title and thus gaining entry to the lucrative CL, at the end of the day would Rangers be better off?

The 'Ajax model' has been cited as a successful example of the 'buy low-sell high' strategy (even to an extent also the yahoos), but in both cases they did so as 'league champions' and therefore as future CL participants, with all the financial rewards that go with that. The sustainability of this 'model' therefore depends on being able to field a team that can regularly win league championships. Rangers haven't yet reached that point yet.

It is self-evident that selling a player for 11 mil that cost only 500k makes good biz. sense. However, if it could be established that the team would be weakened by that players departure, placing in jeopardy the chances of winning a league title and thus gaining entry to the lucrative CL, at the end of the day would Rangers be better off?

The 'Ajax model' has been cited as a successful example of the 'buy low-sell high' strategy (even to an extent also the yahoos), but in both cases they did so as 'league champions' and therefore as future CL participants, with all the financial rewards that go with that. The sustainability of this 'model' therefore depends on being able to field a team that can regularly win league championships. Rangers haven't yet reached that point yet.
The model has absolutely zero to do with winning league championships. Obviously it helps, but the model is specifically and explicitly designed to work with NO European football at all, and budgets are set accordingly. Realistically, the only real factor in the model is selling players for more than you paid for them.

And a feb injury as his ACL is snapped on a junkies carpet of a pitch by a thug in a strip?

Nothing is guaranteed in football except the tangible, immediate offer in your hand. It would be negligent to turn down a significant amount of cash for him based on him potentially finishing the season well and his international side doing well in a tournament. The potential gains would be what? another £5 million on his fee? The losses would be what? Well, £11 million cash in hand.

You've right nothing in football is guaranteed but the fact remains we have a talented player on our books and the probability of his value increasing significantly following even a decent showing at the euro's is high. Over and above that the guy has become an integral part of a winning Rangers team who are genuinely capable of winning this year's title. No amount of cash in hand could buy that this year imo.

You've right nothing in football is guaranteed but the fact remains we have a talented player on our books and the probability of his value increasing significantly following even a decent showing at the euro's is high. Over and above that the guy has become an integral part of a winning Rangers team who are genuinely capable of winning this year's title. No amount of cash in hand could buy that this year imo.
He has started less than 50% of our games and plays in a position that we have got some genuine quality. He is a cracking wee player but unfortunately, that is what makes him attractive. There are more things that can go wrong than can go right. It is pretty much impossible to even say what is most likely, especially when you factor in that he could play all season but be pretty average and his value does not change.

In the pub on the puggy playing deal or no deal you might be ok turning down the £45 offer because the jackpot is still there. In football, when you are a club that is just getting over a catastrophic event, that relies on loans to function and has a £10 million shortfall coming up, you take the good offer when you can and don't risk the jackpot box going dark as soon as you hit 'no deal', especially if the player is one that has played less than half the games in the current season and has a good amount of cover to replace him.

£11 million is too much to turn down but not before the summer and certainly I'd be expecting a decent replacement btw.

If the fee I was told last night is acccurate then yes he will be. Seemingly Crystal Palace have offered £11m.

Pinch of salt etc etc.
I know people say it all the time but..

For £11m I'd drive him down myself

Anything over 8m would be good business and 10m would be tremendous. 11m is just ripping it out of them

If the fee I was told last night is acccurate then yes he will be. Seemingly Crystal Palace have offered £11m.

Pinch of salt etc etc.
Wow man if that's true what a bit of business that would be even 4/5m considering what we payed would be unreal

He has started less than 50% of our games and plays in a position that we have got some genuine quality. He is a cracking wee player but unfortunately, that is what makes him attractive. There are more things that can go wrong than can go right. It is pretty much impossible to even say what is most likely, especially when you factor in that he could play all season but be pretty average and his value does not change.

In the pub on the puggy playing deal or no deal you might be ok turning down the £45 offer because the jackpot is still there. In football, when you are a club that is just getting over a catastrophic event, that relies on loans to function and has a £10 million shortfall coming up, you take the good offer when you can and don't risk the jackpot box going dark as soon as you hit 'no deal', especially if the player is one that has played less than half the games in the current season and has a good amount of cover to replace him.

If having a Rangers team without Kamara makes us weaker (which imo is definitely the case ) then we don't deal in January. This of all seasons is the bottom line and for what it's worth is the same stance I believe the manager will adopt as well.

£11m for Glen Kamara would be a very good offer.

If we're aspiring to follow the Ajax model, then we need to accept we'll sell first-team players when the price is right.
The Ajax model isn’t really about buying low. They are content to spend £10m-£15m in the hope of selling for £30m+.

That is a different market.

S’pose it’s all relative though

The Ajax model isn’t really about buying low. They are content to spend £10m-£15m in the hope of selling for £30m+.

That is a different market.

S’pose it’s all relative though
That's the market we could find ourselves in though with some lucky transfers

Celtic have arguably already started it with eduoard, we're slowly getting there with Kent and bet your ass Morelos replacement is a good 10-15 million player

A few good sales in the buy low sell high model and we'll slowly creep outselves into the buy 10-15m sell 30m+ group.

Crazy selling Kamara especially if Finland qualify for the euros..If he as a good tournament his price could be sufficient more after..
An 'if' then another 'if' and a 'could be'. Not that i disagree tbh mate.

Could easily read we knocked back an 11 Mill bid in the January window and on the 1st of February Kamara breaks both legs and will be out for 18 months.

Two sides to this penny. I am personally torn to which one i want to call.

That would be an amazing mark up in one year.

Not half. That’s like hitting the jackpot. The trick though is, keeping doing it. But anywhere in the region of money being talked about and hey, reluctantly, we have to realise the financial aspect of that outweighs the footballing one.

£11 million (just using the figures on this thread) for a player who has started less than half our games and who cost us £50k a year ago would be far too good to turn down and would not hamper our chances significantly if we spent even 1/4 of the money wisely on a replacement.

For that cash it is an absolute no brainer decision for the board.

i agree with this. There are certain players that we can’t even contemplate selling in January. Kamara wouldn’t be on that list for me. If we got a huge fee then I’d cash in as he is replaceable. The likes of Morelos is irreplaceable and shouldn’t be sold under any circumstances.

Has no one heard of negotiating? If palace came in and offered £11m that's clearly not the highest they would go. No one offers their highest bid as their first bid. I also believe we should keep kamar until after the euros as I feel he would be worth a lot more after that

I spoke to him briefly while boarding a flight to London on Sunday night, seems like a really decent lad.
We would be mad to turn down any big money for him he's a decent player but replaceable.

We should not be entertaining any bids for first team players in January while involved in a title fight.

Would be absolute madness.

An 'if' then another 'if' and a 'could be'. Not that i disagree tbh mate.

Could easily read we knocked back an 11 Mill bid in the January window and on the 1st of February Kamara breaks both legs and will be out for 18 months.

Two sides to this penny. I am personally torn to which one i want to call.
Kamara Davis Jack personally is my 1st choice midfield mate.I would hate to c him sold in the Jan transfer window.I understand the board as to balance the books at some point but I hope at least we can wait to the summer.

Great age, Arsenal academy pedigree, copes with pressure playing for a massive club, full international, playing really well on European stage, acquitting himself very well in old firm games, will be playing at the Euros next year.

I challenge anyone to go find a player with those credentials for under £11 million. Absolute bargain and we should be demanding more.

I’m sorry but I just don’t see that GK is a “fringe” player (he has played 20 games to Jack & Davis’ 21), that we have a ready replacement (Docherty? Halliday? King? Aribo can play holding midfield?) or that we can sell him without the team suffering.

SG knows a midfield player when he sees one. He clearly rates GK highly & if the board can cover the loss this year (hopefully they wouldn’t be spending the money if they couldn’t) then we keep him and look at the squad as a whole in the summer. No point selling a settled player to bring in uncertainty, probably on higher wages. #55 in 2020 is too important & the money will still be there for our good players in the summer if we want it.

If I had £10m to buy Kamara, I'd still pay £11m for us to win this league.
No way such an integral part of the team should be sold, especially in January.
Every time one of our players comes into form, there is an article in the gutter press trying to unsettle them.
Kamara started last season slowly, he's up to speed quicker this one and will continue to be one of our best players in the latter part of the season.
We are a couple of injuries/suspensions away from having an unsettled midfield. Jack has been unlucky with injuries in last couple of seasons and Davis needs to be loaded properly, as he is being.
We need all our top players.
We are, and should be throwing everything at winning this league.
GK shouldn't be considered for sale at the moment.
Neither should any of our regular 16

One last offering from me on the subject of a possible Kamara transfer in Jan. Let us suppose the following scenario unfolded:

i) the player remained at Ibrox at the conclusion of the winter transfer window - despite Palace offering 11 mil. for him.

ii) Rangers gained entry to the Europa Cup playoffs and Kamara showed up well in those games he played in.

iii) If Rangers went on to win the league and Kamara was seen to play a significant role in that achievement.

iv) if Finland reached the finals of the European Championship and Kamara demonstrated his capabilities on the international stage.

If each of the aforementioned factors came about - and they are by no means wild assumptions - Kamara would then have established himself as a player of genuine international pedigree. At which point we could reasonably expect Palace, along with other EPL and European clubs to be back in the market for him over the summer, when the initial bidding for his services i.e.. 11 mil, would be were the new bidding starts. In such a situation, by having waited, Rangers would be the winners every which way.

Back