Pedro does know what he is doing

When was the last time I mentioned it?

It's a reality Pedro put his preferred system in the bin. So if he knew what he was doing then I'd suggest that's strong evidence he actually didn't know what he was doing. And remember he had several months in Scotland playing at the sharp end to arrive at that plan.

It strikes me as very obvious that Pedro had a style his whole career based on counter attacking and that he has never managed a team that effectively required to win every game. That gap has been obvious from the first serious test he faced. It's been a factor of his team's style at Rangers that we are often prepared to give possession up.

Do I see improvement? Yes I do but I don't think we needed a manager who was learning as he went.

I would say that is good management ditching your preferred system. Some managers only have 2 plans, plan a and do plan a better....

Can't believe some of the moaning on here,we got a great result last night ,team played well against a physical s/j side,who some of the other top sides will drop points to,practiced our "weaknesses in defence during the break,kept a clean sheet ,signature player scores 2goals,one game at a time,but ffs give credit when it is due.

He's definitely improved us, I don't think that's up for debate any more. I don't miss any of the players he shipped out in the summer either. He also seems to be developing the younger players well too.

He's only had 1 transfer window, looking forward to seeing what he and also the DOF can come up with in January/

Agree with the OP and it looks like it is coming together. Which I am delighted with as I like Pedro so far, BUT we need a win against that lot this season and to win a cup IMO.

Although, the games against Aberdeen this season are probably going to be more important than the Celtic ones in terms of the league. We CANNOT finish third againt his season.

Premature, but yes it did look a lot better.

I do wonder whether fans are too quick to dismiss good old fashioned work on the training ground?

I thought that was evident last night.

Blending a new team takes more time than supporters want to give a manager but it does take a bit of time to find the right players and their best positions, their character and ability to develop an understanding with new team mates. Even the best players take time and don't always get on with others. Players from abroad have added problems as they have to adjust to a new country, new language, new culture and having to by houses an settle their family. We are making that progress and we are seeing that now.There will be bumps along the road with injuries and suspensions. That is why it is so frustrating when we see players getting stupid bookings and costing the team precious points and putting their team under pressure if they get a second yellow and are sent off.

W.A.T.P.

Anybody sensible suggested he needed time, anybody sensible knew there would and will be setbacks.

That's football when you've made major changes.

Still you need to factor the unique pressure at Rangers and the need to be showing your investment is delivering what it should and quickly.

If you are judging a manager then there's a raft of areas-man management, overall playing strategy, tactics, signings, media dealings and ability to change a game when required.

In nearly every area the manager has looked lacking and whilst there have been some good results and indeed progress as everyone is stating in the grand scheme of things it is no more than a good solid step forward.

When you dig a hole for yourself as Pedro has done then only sustained victories and good performances are going to get you out of it-and it's hard because the every time you slip back at Rangers the perception is you are not out of the hole. You really need to get out quick or you never will.

It's not complicated from now on he needs to show we are the 2nd best team in Scotland-considering the investment he should be able to do that and that is taking into account the setbacks that are inevitable as the OP mentions-that should level out because the Aberdeens of the world will surely drop points also...

Another novel of nothing but jumbled up words.

"Considering the investment" how about considering we have recycled over 200 players in 6 seasons and he had no base what so ever to start from.

If anyone is lacking it is you.

At the start of the season i guess a lot of us where unsure but he has shown that he knows what he is doing, has bought some good players and we need to let him and the team breathe.

Yes we will drop points here and there but we are on the right course.

In true Rangers fan mode, far too early to praise a decent run of wins.
Never too early to pish your pants however and get on everyones back.

Caixinha bingo must surely be getting called soon.

Not seen "Can't string 2 wins together"
Or "Peña's never a footballer"
Or "Miller love in"

For a good wee while.....

What's left?

Absolutely convinced Pedro will get us to 55,despite the media smear campaign against him. The more windows he gets the better we will get and I don't think he will need that many windows,they are not as far away as people think,financially yes,but on the park we will gather momentum as we go on. Be absolutely delighted if he pulls it off,not least for the rubbish written about him. Class apart.

Being honest, I’d have binned him after the last Celtic defeat. But that might have been a mistake as thingslook to be improving and the team starting to gel.

I hope he succeeds and really hope we’ve turned a corner.

Seems a good guy.

Not lost away game yet, and that's good going against a few 12 team players...add into the mix our goals scored v Warbutons....will judge the man after the double header against the sheep tho

We've responded well to the 2-0 loss to the Bheggars, but it's the games against Them, Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen that'll determine our season. He needs to win the next 5 games, which won't be easy. They are:

Motherwell (LC)
Kilmarnock (h)
Hearts (a)
Partick Thistle (h)
Hamilton (h)

That'll then (hopefully) be followed by a League Cup final, and an Aberdeen double header.

A big couple of months coming up for Pedro.

From the signs of late its. Starting to coming together. But we really need to go on a good run of wins and start showing up against the mhanks.

Aberdeen surprised me today, thats a real ballsy win.

We simply need to beat Motherwell, Killie and Hearts in the next few weeks

Hibs have already shown they are going to be very inconsistent.

They currently sit 6th, a point ahead of 7th.

That's about where I expect them to finish this season.

overall the manager has invested in players for a system he abandoned after the European exit and preseason games

I just don’t think it’s true he was playing a different system in those games. Miller dropped so deep it was definitely a 4/5/1 or 4/4/1/1 which is still what we are playing. The players he’s brought in fit that.

I would say that is good management ditching your preferred system. Some managers only have 2 plans, plan a and do plan a better....

Ditching your preferred system after spending £8m on players for it simply to accomodate a 37 year old striker is good management ?

I'd argue Pedro's decision to do that contributed to the slow start to the season.

We've saw how the team plays with his preferred 4-2-3-1 instead of 4-4-2. It's a lot better. We're a lot more fluid, a lot less rigid.

I’ve backes Pedro since day one, even after the progress result.

That said there’s undoubtedly questions about him which we won’t have an answer to for at least a couple of months.

In the meantime let’s support him and cut the rubbish suggesting he has no knowledge of tactics, or that we’d haven’t improved. Both of which are demonstrably false.

Even a BAD Rangers team should be beating Hamilton, Partick, St Johnstone, Motherwell, etc. as a matter of routine.

It’s matches against the others where Pedro should be judged.

My own opinion at the moment is that he is pretty good at recruitment, but pretty bad at tactics/ match management.

Next Sunday could be his watershed moment if he can take out Motherwell and get us to a final then I don’t think he.ll look back and this team will get stronger and stronger

If he shores up the defence and we stop conceding sloppy goals, surrendering possession too easily, then we are going places.

Teams can't live with our attacking play when we get going. We've got three players who can deliver a ball from out wide; Tavernier, Candeias and John, that splits a defence in half and goals are coming from every area of the park; defence, midfield and attack.

Dorrans is starting to stamp his authority, his use of the ball is outstanding. Alves came in and organised the defence on Friday night in a way we've not see all season, Morelos is a nightmare to play against even when he's not scoring - on another day he pokes the ball home early 2nd half, Pena is making runs no one can handle or read resulting in goals.

McCrorie can step in if needed.
Jack will be back for our next match.
Wallace still to come back.
Barjonas was on the bench, Holt can step in...

We have the makings of a squad. A few additions in January along with some luck (for once) on the injury front and we can have a successful season.

Clear improvements, better than last season. Home record has to improve, do that and continue our excellent away record and we are looking good.

Cup Semi Final next up...

Ditching your preferred system after spending £8m on players for it simply to accomodate a 37 year old striker is good management ?

I'd argue Pedro's decision to do that contributed to the slow start to the season.

We've saw how the team plays with his preferred 4-2-3-1 instead of 4-4-2. It's a lot better. We're a lot more fluid, a lot less rigid.

If you can't see that the role the 37 year old played was basucally a fluffer until pena was ready rather than a system for Miller. Slow start to the season is still a better start than last season with exception of europe and still within reach of top place which is what every fan wanted at start of the season

I'd also argue we don't play 4-4-2 more 4-4-1-1

I think some on here should give up their day jobs and apply to be Rangers manager. They clearly have a better understanding of tactics, man management, have their own full proof working philosophy:)

The last two games have shown encouraging signs that things are beginning to fall into place. We need to keep the momentum going and put a run of results together.

I think if someone told you, by mid Oct, we’d be 6pts off the top, with +9 goal diff, in the cup semi and seeing more solid defence, competitive midfield and a striker scoring goals and goals coming from midfield too... most people would take that.

Hard to ignore the freakishness of Europe but if you can, and you are reasonable about the time it takes to get a new team playing a new way, then we’re right on par with the most we could expect.

If by Xmas we’re similarly in touch in the league and we show up well in the cup, I’ll feel my faith in Pedro is vindicated. I expect we’ll add 1-2 to the squad as well.

If you can't see that the role the 37 year old played was basucally a fluffer until pena was ready rather than a system for Miller. Slow start to the season is still a better start than last season with exception of europe and still within reach of top place which is what every fan wanted at start of the season

I'd also argue we don't play 4-4-2 more 4-4-1-1

I see that argument but Miller cannot play that role. He couldn't under Ally. He couldn't under Warburton. He can't play midfield either and Pedro had him charging about there against Hibs. He was accommodated IMO. Pedro had other options - Dorrans behind a striker with Holt/Rossiter alongside Jack.

You look at the team since he's been dropped - 3 against Thistle, 4 against Hamilton, 3 against St Johnstone. We are a better team without him. I'm glad Pedro realised this eventually but I can't help but think we've dropped unnecessary points in the process.

We have a decent run of game up until the crucial ones in December. Vital we make no more daft slip ups.

I see that argument but Miller cannot play that role. He couldn't under Ally. He couldn't under Warburton. He can't play midfield either and Pedro had him charging about there against Hibs. He was accommodated IMO. Pedro had other options - Dorrans behind a striker with Holt/Rossiter alongside Jack.

You look at the team since he's been dropped - 3 against Thistle, 4 against Hamilton, 3 against St Johnstone. We are a better team without him. I'm glad Pedro realised this eventually but I can't help but think we've dropped unnecessary points in the process.

We have a decent run of game up until the crucial ones in December. Vital we make no more daft slip ups.

I get what you’re saying even though it’s quite harsh and based on hindsight - nobody begrudged KM in the team at the start of the season, especially with so many new faces.

I think it’s clear that KM was keeping Pena’s “shadow striker” shirt warm and even though KM is perfectly capable of playing that role it maybe went on longer than it should’ve given his form and lack of positional discipline....

but I’m also not sure KM cost us those home points against the edinburgh teams. In fact I know he didn’t.

Totally agree that December is a massive month and I'm hopeful we can string a run right up until then to keep some pressure on.

I'd disagree that pedro realised that kenny out the team was the better option more to the fact he knew he was a stop gap. Things are moving in the right direction and hopefully we are cup winners before that December run in!

The jury is still out on Pedro, I like him, the team has undoubtably improved, we all know we have a better quality of player. Ultimately though it's a results business, so we need to keep winning and should be aiming to win the next 5 fixtures and enjoy the momentum that will provide. Friday was a fantastic result, the clean sheets need to continue as this takes the pressure off us having to think about scoring twice at least to win matches. At the moment, strangely, I am more confident on us winning when we are playing away from home where we have more attacking space and exploiting teams on the counter attack with our pace. As others have said, we are close to achieving this, but Ibrox needs to become a fortress again.

I hope so as he’s a nice guy, but I have my doubts

Watching us, I can’t see any real style or purpose on what players are supposed to be doing. All looks a bit messy

There's still a long long way to go but definitely appear to be going on the right direction and have a recognisable playing style and footballing philosophy that the players seem to be buying into. Long may it continue !!

Watching us, I can’t see any real style or purpose on what players are supposed to be doing. All looks a bit messy

You don't think the players know what they are supposed to be doing?

I would argue every player in our team knows exactly what they are supposed to be doing.

Pedro's attention to detail has ensured that our players are well aware of exactly what is expected of them.

There's still a long long way to go but definitely appear to be going on the right direction and have a recognisable playing style and footballing philosophy that the players seem to be buying into. Long may it continue !!

Follow Follow summarised in two comments 60 seconds apart. Football is all about opinions I suppose

Nov / Dec will tell us, unequivocally, how far we've come. We can talk about it until the cows come home, but the hard stats don't lie.

Back to back games against Dolly, as well as the Spoon-Burners, Murderwell, St Johnstone and the Terrorists - as well as Killie and Dross County.

If we come through that lot intact, we've turned the corner.

If we don't, the cracked crests will be back in the redtops and Pedro will be fighting for his job.

He talked about knowing when you need to defend in moments of the game, then done it beating St Johnstone 3-0 and ousting their corner barrage.

Clearly knows what he is doing and has a set philosophy IMO.

You don't think the players know what they are supposed to be doing?

I would argue every player in our team knows exactly what they are supposed to be doing.

Pedro's attention to detail has ensured that our players are well aware of exactly what is expected of them.

I can’t put my finger on it but when you watch us, it looks all a bit messy

We don’t play good football and when we get into the opponents half we often look clueless on what to do or how to break them down

First half the other night we were garbage and whenever we had possession done very little with it other than an exceptional Tav cross and Pena finish

We don’t play good football and when we get into the opponents half we often look clueless on what to do or how to break them down

First half the other night we were garbage and whenever we had possession done very little with it other than an exceptional Tav cross and Pena finish
I'm sure there would be more creativity if Windass performed, someone who Pedro didn't sign.

All about opinions mate, but 7 goals in our last 2 away games would suggest we've got a fair idea about how to break teams down I'd say.

I think Friday was the first time it was clearly evident what we were trying to do.

It's a fairly basic philosophy, but if you play in a league where you have better players than most of the other teams that's fine.

Fans can be a bit dismissive of old fashioned work on the training ground but I think that is where the improvements are coming from.

If someone had offered me 0-3 before the game I'd have bitten their hand off
The sending off obviously didn't help them - but I'm not sure we've all grasped just how well organised, stubbornly difficult and ultimately a half decent side St.J are -
I fully expect them to finish in the top half and take points off others in the course of the season -
They continued to be a threat even when down to 10 men - & we did well to come away with 3 points - let alone 3 goals scored & a clean sheet -
This so easily could have been a banana skin

It was a Walter Smith type performance on Friday night. Dogged defending, organised, back to basics... Tommy Wright seemed to think there wasn't much between the sides; just three goals, a deflected effort over the bar, Dorrans rattling the cross bar, Morelos missing a sitter, Candeias wrongly ruled off side trough on goal...

Also, Pena has 4 goals in 4 starts. Just wait until he's fully up and running ;)

Not convinced, tbh. He has better players so we are obviously better, but our performances are generally poor.

This interests me because I think this drives some of the remaining doubts about Pedro. I enjoy the direct football we play now much more than the passing triangles of Warburton. In style - if not the same quality - it reminds me of Advocaat’s era.

But some people just don’t seem to see it.

If we can stay close to Aberdeen and Celtic until January then hopefully we can find some quality in the transfer window.

Back