Pedro set to take over Cruz Azul

He failed here

Mentally he didn't have it and the players clocked that from the off.
Talked a good game but was an absolute fraud.

He returns to another backwater environment where he will once again probably leave after a year or so.

The same could be said of the USA and MLS.Maybe the day it stops becoming a retirement home for the top players I'll change my mind.
Compared to Scotland: MLS - bigger stadiums, bigger crowds, better infrastructure, better players, bigger sponsors, bigger tv audiences. Next.

I would hope that we will be getting some money back off the back of this like the Crystal Palace/Sam Alardyce severance deal?

Or am I expecting too much of our Board on this?

Sure the board will be only too happy to meet Sams requirements of 8 mil a season seems fair price for Scottish football eh?

Compared to Scotland: MLS - bigger stadiums, bigger crowds, better infrastructure, better players, bigger sponsors, bigger tv audiences. Next.
Why do the top players end up in the MLS at the end of their careers and not during their peak?

I didn't know Next had shops in the states.Big game changer that..:D

This in a nutshell.

Living in Madrid for 7 years, most people can name 2 and at tops 3 Scottish teams. They can also name no players that currently play in the league. The way we consider Mexico a footballing backwater, many countries have exactly the same opinion of us(Scottish League).[/QUOTE]

Even Pedro's star man spent his career wanting to move to Europe -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40372768

Midfielder Pena, 27, joins from Liga MX side Guadalajara in his homeland, while 28-year-old striker Herrera joins from Mexican side Pumas.

"I have been waiting for this move for many years now," Pena told RangersTV.

"I wanted to become part of European football and I hope I will be able to make my own contribution to the team."

That's the reality of it. Managers and players want to move to Europe to achieve something rather than move away from it.

I reckon Pedro was unlucky. The Hibs game and the Killie fiasco at Ibrox cost him his job,imo, and not the European defeat. The fans directed their anger of the Cup exit to Motherwell's thugs at Pedro when it should have went elsewhere.

Last edited:
Why do the top players end up in the MLS at the end of their careers and not during their peak?

I didn't know Next had shops in the states.Big game changer that..:D
That's changing though. MLS is on the up.

It's way down on their list of 'favourite' sports, yet is way ahead of us.

On-line only in the USofA for Next ;)

He’ll be there 18 months at the most and then be on the move again. Probably end up back in the Middle East in 2-3 years.

?[/QUOTE]
You speak of Europe as a whole, it conjures images of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich etc, when in reality we are discussing Ross County, Motherwell, Kilmarnock etc.

Behave yourself, Sir.

Pedro would bite yer hand off to get a mid range championship club.Players and managers from far afield use the lesser quality European leagues as a gateway or shop window to try to get a move to the top leagues.Morelos being the perfect example.Leaves Colombia to come to Europe and Finland.Then moves to Rangers with ambitions to play in England.

Even Pedro's star man spent his career wanting to move to Europe -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40372768

Midfielder Pena, 27, joins from Liga MX side Guadalajara in his homeland, while 28-year-old striker Herrera joins from Mexican side Pumas.

"I have been waiting for this move for many years now," Pena told RangersTV.

"I wanted to become part of European football and I hope I will be able to make my own contribution to the team."

That's the reality of it. Managers and players want to move to Europe to achieve something rather than move away from it.
Yes - but I'm sure the likes of Pena and Hererra are seeing places like Motherwell, Hamilton, Patrick and Ross County and thinking what the f.uck is this ! If they go to Spain, Italy, Germay, England France etc then fair enough, but Scotland is the pits when it comes to the footballing set up.

Yes - but I'm sure the likes of Pena and Hererra are seeing places like Motherwell, Hamilton, Patrick and Ross County and thinking what the f.uck is this ! If they go to Spain, Italy, Germay, England France etc then fair enough, but Scotland is the pits when it comes to the footballing set up.
Maybe if they were of a better standard or got themselves fit they'd have more minutes in Old Firm games,sold out Ibrox,cup finals and still be playing in sold out European games..

Going back to a country with a population of 130 million and football ball mad country playing against massive clubs and bigger stadiums and more coverage and scrutiny.

It certainly is a far, far higher level.

SPL level is way, way behind Mexico - in every aspect and the passion over there is tenfold what it is in this wee backwater.
This in a nutshell.

Living in Madrid for 7 years, most people can name 2 and at tops 3 Scottish teams. They can also name no players that currently play in the league. The way we consider Mexico a footballing backwater, many countries have exactly the same opinion of us(Scottish League).

The only difference being, we are a backwater.

They might well find Victoria Park an intimidating cauldron. Maybe not.

That's your perception. The wider perception in football would be that moving from Europe to Mexico is a backwards step especially going from Rangers to Cruz Azul. That's not the move of a man on an upwards trajectory.

We'll never know what could have been with Pedro. 10 league games with his own squad is not time to judge anyone. He needed another 2 transfer windows to judge him properly.

I certainly would have given him another window to clear the decks of Kenny and his pals.

Caixinha was given the opportunity to manage Rangers and he jumped at it.

From day one he gave his all, he fully understood the club, our history and traditions.

At times he was the only man prepared to stick up for our club. He defended us, our club and players, he spoke about poor decisions and stood up to scum like Sutton and Brown - whilst our players hid on the park.

The way he was treated by the media was nothing short of a complete and utter disgrace. The man has more brains and class in a single toe nail than what every pundit, commentator, journalist has put together.

He took no shit, he was passionate and tried his damn hardest to be a success. Sadly that wasn’t to be, so he moves on with my best wishes and I hope he makes a successful career in management.

Make sure you come in for Herrera and Pena.

We all move on.

Pedro would bite yer hand off to get a mid range championship club.Players and managers from far afield use the lesser quality European leagues as a gateway or shop window to try to get a move to the top leagues.Morelos being the perfect example.Leaves Colombia to come to Europe and Finland.Then moves to Rangers with ambitions to play in England.[/QUOTE]
Aye, you would love him to take a mid championship club, so you could say “He’s found his level”. Which incidentally is still beneath Mexico’s top division.

They might well find Victoria Park an intimidating cauldron. Maybe not.

That's your perception. The wider perception in football would be that moving from Europe to Mexico is a backwards step especially going from Rangers to Cruz Azul. That's not the move of a man on an upwards trajectory.

That's your perception as a Scot.

That's your perception as a Scot.

I've already quoted Pena. There is no well-travelled route from Europe to Latin America. It just doesn't happen. The agents are all in Latin America trying to secure their client a move to Europe. When that changes, you'll know about it. Until then, Caixinha is not in Mexico because of some brilliant career move. He'd be in Europe, if he could.

I don't get all this lets hope he comes back for Pena and Herrera.

If I was to make a list of players I wanted out the door in January a couple of Mexican internationals who have scored goals when they have played wouldn't be top of the list.

If we get a good coach we could well see the best of Pena and Herrera. If we get a parochial dinosaur as manager they will probably be gone.

Nonsense
Can you not judge on the progress debacle?

If you honestly couldn’t judge that Caixinha was a piss poor manager by now then I give up.
The luembourg stuff was terrible - we all agree that. But I woukld certainly not judge a new manager solely on that, as much as it was gutting to go out.

In 10 league games there were signs of stuff coming together. It's not easy to gel a new team straight away, but many of the players he brought in are doing pretty well.

He certainly left us in better shape than what we had when he arrived.

He’s had previous success in Mexico

It makes sense

He did say he had blue running through him or something like that :D

I've already quoted Pena. There is no well-travelled route from Europe to Latin America. It just doesn't happen. The agents are all in Latin America trying to secure their client a move to Europe. When that changes, you'll know about it. Until then, Caixinha is not in Mexico because of some brilliant career move. He'd be in Europe, if he could.

There is no well travelled route from Mexico to Northern Ireland, Wales, Republic of Ireland, Malta, Belarus, Denmark, Sweden, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Iceland or Scotland.

Some leagues in Europe are better than Mexico like England, Spain, Germany, Italy and France.

Some league in Europe are no better than the ones in Mexico like the ones in the opening paragraph.

The luembourg stuff was terrible - we all agree that. But I woukld certainly not judge a new manager solely on that, as much as it was gutting to go out.

In 10 league games there were signs of stuff coming together. It's not easy to gel a new team straight away, but many of the players he brought in are doing pretty well.

He certainly left us in better shape than what we had when he arrived.

This all day long!

There is no well travelled route from Mexico to Northern Ireland, Wales, Republic of Ireland, Malta, Belarus, Denmark, Sweden, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Iceland or Scotland.

Some leagues in Europe are better than Mexico like England, Spain, Germany, Italy and France.

Some league in Europe are no better than the ones in Mexico like the ones in the opening paragraph.

Some leagues in Europe are better than others, yes. I've no idea how that argues against my point. European football is where players and managers from around the world - not just Mexico - aspire to be.

Are you denying that's true?

Some leagues in Europe are better than others, yes. I've no idea how that argues against my point. European football is where players and managers from around the world - not just Mexico - aspire to be.

Are you denying that's true?

I think they aspire to be in England, Italy, France or Spain.

I think few aspire to be in Northern Ireland, Wales, Republic of Ireland, Malta, Belarus, Denmark, Sweden, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Iceland or Scotland.

I think if you offered a top player the chance to play in either Brazil or Scotland for the same money most would choose Brazil.

As a transplanted Scot in Canada, I watch the MSL and some Mexican games as well. I am sorry to say that the MSL is a better game with more skilful players than the SPL. In Scotland we always have had the parochial idea that we are the best in everything be it Engineering,Medicine or football. The old glory days are gone and we have to face up to the fact that we are a footballing backwater now. We haven't qualified for a major tournament for God knows how long and I know we blame Strapon but,with the players we are producing, could we have done better? Our Premier League is skewed towards one club with the SFA firmly in septic's pocket. They have had no competition for 5 years now and it will take time for us to regain our proper place thanks to their machinations.

It is high time that we realized that the rest of the world has passed us by and that we will never get any better until we get our heads down and work at it so that we can produce better players and thus a better quality of football.

I think they aspire to be in England, Italy, France or Spain.

I think few aspire to be in Northern Ireland, Wales, Republic of Ireland, Malta, Belarus, Denmark, Sweden, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Iceland or Scotland.

I think if you offered a top player the chance to play in either Brazil or Scotland for the same money most would choose Brazil.

The example of Morelos has already been mentioned on here. Joining a second-tier European league to raise profile, easier to do in Europe than in South America, television coverage, etc.

I'm old enough to remember when Dundee United nearly signed Josimar (I think he'd been lured by the promise of a house in Broughty Ferry) but the deal fell through.

I really don't know how else to point out the desirability of playing in Europe to the vast majority beyond pointing out every example where players and managers say 'I want to go to Europe'. Like, it's an industry in Latin America. Clubs have models built around selling players to Europe. That is what happens. That's the nature of the game. Europe to Mexico is not a promotion.

As a transplanted Scot in Canada, I watch the MSL and some Mexican games as well. I am sorry to say that the MSL is a better game with more skilful players than the SPL. In Scotland we always have had the parochial idea that we are the best in everything be it Engineering,Medicine or football. The old glory days are gone and we have to face up to the fact that we are a footballing backwater now. We haven't qualified for a major tournament for God knows how long and I know we blame Strapon but,with the players we are producing, could we have done better? Our Premier League is skewed towards one club with the SFA firmly in septic's pocket. They have had no competition for 5 years now and it will take time for us to regain our proper place thanks to their machinations.

It is high time that we realized that the rest of the world has passed us by and that we will never get any better until we get our heads down and work at it so that we can produce better players and thus a better quality of football.
Good post mate. Yes, I watch MLS on Sky and the standard is way better than in Scotland. Of that, there is no doubt.

The parochial mindset and lack of focus on the technical aspects of the game in Scotland is exactly why the game has been kept in the doldrums for decades - and there is little sign of that changing.

"Aye - but Scots players are all heart and can fight and tackle really hard and aw that"

Without doubt and the only reason they would come to another league in Europe is if they see it as a stepping stone to one of the big European leagues.

And? Who in earth is denying that?

I don't actually think Pena dreamed of playing for Rangers, y'know. But he definitely wanted to play in Europe in his career.

Then you have to ask why he was so unutterably shit for us.
I don 't understand this "Pedro was shit" nonsense. Officials cheated the club out of 3 points against Hivs, another 2 against Hearts for the disallowed offside goal. Celtic arguably got 2 against PT for the last minute stonewall penalty. Another 2 points lost after the penalty fiasco and another wrongful sending off against Kilmarnock.
We could be 3 points clear at the top, and Pedro is a hero.
This next manager will face the same problem, it's not going away any time soon.

I don 't understand this "Pedro was shit" nonsense. Officials cheated the club out of 3 points against Hivs, another 2 against Hearts for the disallowed offside goal. Celtic arguably got 2 against PT for the last minute stonewall penalty. Another 2 points lost after the penalty fiasco and another wrongful sending off against Kilmarnock.
We could be 3 points clear at the top, and Pedro is a hero.
This next manager will face the same problem, it's not going away any time soon.

Two of our best performances this season have come after Pedro's departure.

Back