Pele in Palliative care.

Greatest footballer of all time , three times World Cup winner.

An incredible talent and will be a sad loss to everyone who loves the game.

Hope his final days are painless and peaceful.
First part is subjective.

Final part, definitely.

His overhead scissor kick goal in Escape To Victory was the goal of what dreams are made of. I think my back pain stems from me recreating that goal hundreds of times! I hope his final days/hours on this earth are as easy and pain free as possible.

Last edited:
Always remember a story about Pele and Stallone on the set of escape to victory and Stallone betting Pele he couldn't score a penalty against him, Pele proceeded to stick 10 in a row past him

Too young to see Pele play bit my auld man wasn't easily impressed and for him he's the greatest.

A proper legend of the game.

His overhead scissor kick goal in Escape To Freedom was the goal of what dreams are made of. I think my back pain stems from me recreating that goal hundreds of times! I hope his final days/hours on this earth are as easy and pain free as possible.
I’m a friend of John Wark who was also in Escape to Victory and he said Pele scored his overhead kick in the first take for the recording.

An outstanding talent and 1970 WC epitomises everything about him and that particular team.

I’m a friend of John Wark who was also in Escape to Victory and he said Pele scored his overhead kick in the first take for the recording.

An outstanding talent and 1970 WC epitomises everything about him and that particular team.
Not surprising.

The fact he missed it, makes even more beautiful, imo.
What happened after the feint was immaterial. Would have been nice if he scored but what he did there demonstrated how far ahead his brain was compared to anyone else playing in that era.

legend and goat gets banded about all too often

this guy is right up there with both

The fact he missed it, makes even more beautiful, imo.

His own hyper awareness beats him here - he knew the defender was rushing in to cover the goal so he is trying to play the ball behind him.

The bewildered state of the keeper makes me laugh.

I remember the first time I saw that miss where he dummies the keeper.

Just kept pressing rewind in awe of what I'd seen.

Pele will always be a footballing genius.

That was ridiculously good, he was running at full pelt - and he could do a sub-11 seconds 100 metres in football boots on a grass pit - but he still manages with one touch to put spin on the ball to bring the ball back his way after he had rounded the goalie.

Best single piece of skill by any footballer that I’ve ever seen.

Last edited:
His overhead scissor kick goal in Escape To Freedom was the goal of what dreams are made of. I think my back pain stems from me recreating that goal hundreds of times! I hope his final days/hours on this earth are as easy and pain free as possible.
Typecasting. He scored a similar goal in Escape to Victory as well.

A personal anecdote concerning the great man. In 1989 Scotland hosted the World Under 16 Championship with the opening ceremony and match being held at Hampden. Pele performed the opening ceremony and then left accompanied by FIFA offficials to Glasgow Airport. Yours truly along with wife, 2 year old son and parents were there, also our then manager Graeme Souness who was in fact on our flight to Majorca. The queue for autographs from Pele stretched around Glasgow Airport's departure lounge where he sat patiently with a coffee signing ''Regards PELE'' It is the only autograph I've ever asked for.

A personal anecdote concerning the great man. In 1989 Scotland hosted the World Under 16 Championship with the opening ceremony and match being held at Hampden. Pele performed the opening ceremony and then left accompanied by FIFA offficials to Glasgow Airport. Yours truly along with wife, 2 year old son and parents were there, also our then manager Graeme Souness who was in fact on our flight to Majorca. The queue for autographs from Pele stretched around Glasgow Airport's departure lounge where he sat patiently with a coffee signing ''Regards PELE'' It is the only autograph I've ever asked for.
Didn't he put a false moustache on and play for Saudi Arabia in the final?

Any person researching the history of football will come across Pele very fast and realise that he was a total pioneer. A master of his trade that showed the world how to play football. What great a man, and its a privilege to be alive to witness it all.

Thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.

Sad news,
Pele still is the greatest player I have ever seen,
3 World cups, and part of the greatest football team I have ever seen, Brazil of 1970,
Greatest team ever.
He wasn’t just a part of the team.
I would say he was the mastero of the team.
He inspired them all to a different level.

The World Cup certainly brought Pele to the attention of the football world, don't think I ever saw him play a single game other than in a World Cup.
By the time I'd heard of him he was already at his peak and within a few short years he was basically winding down his career.
Different times from todays tv showings of practically every top game on the planet.

People argue against him being the GOAT because the game was slower and you got more time on the ball then. But, if he had been playing in the modern era, imagine what he would have been like with modern coaching!!!

Truly amazing player. Will be a sad loss to the football world when he goes.

There has never been another team as good as that ever 0028.
It was like watchingvthe Harlem Globetrotters on a football park.
Yeah everyone of them was a maverick with the ball at their feet an absolute joy to watch, the way football should be played .Only other team to come close to them was their 82 team who somehow never managed to win it, thoughts with the man they called The Black Pearl

Back