Pele & Messi

Weekender

Messi equals Pele with 757 senior career goals.
Messi scores all his goals in Europe with Pele scoring most of his goals in Brazil.

Clueless fkpigs putting down the man who set the standard for football.

The idiotic conditioned responses from the usual crew.

I suppose Di Stefano and Puskas were mince too !

Garrincha couldn't cut it in today's leagues !

Only a matter of time before the nuts move on to Eusebio, Best and Cruyff.

Calm down Grampa.

Go grab a Werthers Original and chill out for a bit.

There always seems to be a lot of people who say Messi is better than Pele, but in reality, how often did anyone really see Pele playing?
I don't remember much South American football on TV in the 70's. If we're basing abilities on World Cup performances, are we really rating Messi that highly?

There always seems to be a lot of people who say Messi is better than Pele, but in reality, how often did anyone really see Pele playing?
I don't remember much South American football on TV in the 70's. If we're basing abilities on World Cup performances, are we really rating Messi that highly?
Basing abilities on a handful of games instead of an entire 15 year career would be really stupid

A few people making light hearted comments about Peles exaggerated goal tally is all it is mate. Settle down.

Pele set the standard for football, yet you chuck Di Stefanos name in there?
A guy who had 3 Spanish Championship titles and a European Cup before Pele even made his debut?

Pele was undoubtedly one of the games all time greats, but someone who played his first game in 1956 setting the standard?

Not the kind of suggestion I'd make in the same post I'd called others "clueless fùckpigs".

Not rubbish but Messi is far superior.
In fairness, Pele played at a time when opponents could kick fûck out of you, as they did to him in ‘66. Sports science, training and dietary knowledge and practice were nothing like they are today.

Comparing players across eras doesn’t really work.

How would our own team fare against the gallant pioneers? I think we can all speculate but it wouldn’t be fair to do so.

Too many people before my time rated Pele so highly that he must have been great. I never saw it in any film till I saw footage on YouTube which I hadn't seen previously, and he looked an incredible player. Most of what we probably do see is highlights of goals, but I detect what made him great went well beyond that.

Too many people before my time rated Pele so highly that he must have been great. I never saw it in any film till I saw footage on YouTube which I hadn't seen previously, and he looked an incredible player. Most of what we probably do see is highlights of goals, but I detect what made him great went well beyond that.
Brazil 1970 was the greatest ever team in my opinion.
The football and the standard of the goals was fabulous.

Of the modern era messi has the best goal per game ratio. Think hes about 48 career goals behind CR7 but has played 150 less games. He also plays deeper. Never really saw pele so hard to compare.

Messi gets the ballon d’or just for turning up.
Most recent award proves it.

Aye turning up and being the top scorer in La Liga, winning more MOTM awards than Lewandowski & Jorginho combined, winning Copa America (becoming the first player to be top scorer & top assister into the bargain). Not bad eh?

It's obviously hard comparing different eras of player and Sir Alex said before, a great player would be a great player in any era. But seriously, have a look at the highlights of the 1958 World Cup Final. It's amateur stuff. Players are literally walking about and can hardly control a ball.

Watch the Brazil Italy World Cup final,you’ll see football at its best

I'm from an era that Pele then Maradona were the best. One thing I would say is that Pele never played in a bad or struggling team that Maradona did and he was the difference. Messi has played in struggling Argie teams and has not been able to pull them up like Maradona did.

Both excellent players but goal tally shouldn't be the driving factor.

Messi racked up the majority of goals during demolition jobs against utter shite and Pele's 'criteria' has always been suspect.

I'm from an era that Pele then Maradona were the best. One thing I would say is that Pele never played in a bad or struggling team that Maradona did and he was the difference. Messi has played in struggling Argie teams and has not been able to pull them up like Maradona did.

Messi's Argentina have been to a World Cup Final, only losing in extra time and four Copa America finals, losing a couple on pens and winning the most recent one obviously. His international career isn't as bad as its made out.

Both excellent players but goal tally shouldn't be the driving factor.

Messi racked up the majority of goals during demolition jobs against utter shite and Pele's 'criteria' has always been suspect.

Not really sure how you come to that conclusion tbh? 758 goals against utter shite?

As far as I'm aware, Pele's legit total is 756/757 or whatever it is that was broken by Messi last night. It's his own unofficial total of over 1000 that's a load of shite. Same with Romario.

100% correct, as good as Messi undoubtedly is Argentina have done nothing in the World Cup in his time.

I love a bit of rage for no real reason.

chill man , no one has said pele wasnt a player.

100% correct, as good as Messi undoubtedly is Argentina have done nothing in the World Cup in his time.
not a fair comparison IMO, the standard of national football has massively increased since those days, the smaller nations are miles ahead now than they used to be ... MILES !

football on the whole is night and day compared to what it used to be.

OK, Boomer!

You're needing a can of dandelion and burdock sunshine. Take the edge off it.

You drop your teeth in dugshite or something?

Every sport has progressed since the 50s 60s. would any of the tennis players of the era take a set off of Novak et al. I doubt it. the levels of fitness are on a different scale now

If Messi had the players batter him in Spain like they did Marradonna I am not sure you would have seen the same outcome. Pele Marradonna and Messi all players to be appreciated but football is almost a non contact sport these days. I still love the old times when defending was a brutal art.

Outstanding contribution sir!

I love it that someone is able to become apoplectic over a few light hearted comments.
Cap doffed, there's life in the old dog yet :)

Back