Pena and Herrera in frame for Mexico call up

TibbsyBear

Sun

RANGERS stars Carlos Pena and Eduardo Herrera could cushion the blow of losing mentor Pedro Caixinha – by earning a Mexico recall next week.

The Ibrox club axed Caixinha this week, who brought both Mexicans to Glasgow in the summer, but they face an uncertain future with the dismissal of the Portuguese manager.

However, they will both be handed a boost when they are named in Mexico’s squad next week for their double-header friendlies.

Mexico are on a mini-European tour and face Belgium in Brussels and Poland in Gdansk next month.

And manager Juan Carlos Osorio will call up the Rangers duo as he aims to spread his net wide ahead of the World Cup in Russia next year, for which Mexico comfortably qualified.

Osorio said: “I aim to look at a few European-based players for the friendlies in Belgium and Poland.

“I want to look at as many players as I can and have as many options as possible for the Finals.”

Pena won his first international cap five years ago and featured in the World Cup in Brazil in 2014, but has dropped out of the scene after winning 19 caps.

Herrera has three goals in nine caps – he netted a double against Guatemala and scored against Paraguay, but hasn’t featured for two years.

Now both are set for a chance to stake their claim for a place at the World Cup next year.

nothing to do with Mexico being crap
their coach is using European based players and will clearly be trying out other faces

That is mental, Mexico have a really good team and no way would Pena or Herrera fit into that, especially not Pena

We've only seen a shadow no of the player he can clearly be.

He's obviously still well thought of at home.

I know that, i have said many times on here i watched him play a whole half for Mexico and its not the same guy at all.

Thinking about Pena it is obvious he struggles in the British game. Its all hurry scurry, tackle, run and run. In Mexico with the heat it is a much slower pace of game and only comes alive during the last third.

I do think there is a player there, still do, but will he be able to settle to that style, doubtful.

Herrera for me, I just cannot see what he brings.

Capped for Mexico in their present form, cannot see it.

Osorio said: “I aim to look at a few European-based players for the friendlies in Belgium and Poland.

“I want to look at as many players as I can and have as many options as possible for the Finals.”

If these friendlies were being played outside of Europe I very much doubt they'd even be considered.

Good luck to them and hope they get their chance.
If they were to and did well that would do their confidence the world of good.
Rangers would then have 2 players returning from International duty really willing to do well with the possible prospect of playing at the World Cup.

Makes sense to involve them in the squad and perhaps give them some game time. It'll also save some travel costs.

Good luck to the lads. Our players so back them FFS. Here for no time and working under a manager that was fighting with their team-mates and looked like he couldn't understand what to do with them.

Instead of running our guys down...get behind them !

Herrera up front with Javier Hernandez supported by Pena? A world cup winning combo if I don't say so myself.

Is Stevie Wonder still scouting for the Mexican national federation?

Good luck to them. Will mean more exposure for the club and hopefully they can put in a good performance.

Mexico must be in poor form as neither player has shown much.

That said the more games for their country the better, it either lifts their confidence or puts value onto them

The more players we have playing international football the better, hope they both do well if selected

Always made me laugh when folk used the "aye but they played for Mexico" argument as if that makes them good

Mexico are one of those nations that are so huge they give loads of caps out. It really means nothing. Christ, the lad Juarez at Celtic was one of their main players for a bit

In a competitive game their proper XI would destroy Scotland aye, but friendly games are a different animal. It really means nothing

The idea of Pena playing international football right now is absurd

Back