Pena

I know im in the minority but I actually like Pena and think that he could be a player for us given time. He scores some good goals and I think once he adapts to the pace of the game he'd be a star.

Sadly it's looking more and more likely that we'll never know.

Is he currently injured or just dropped from the squad?

You don't things like the weather have an impact on a player and his family ?? You might not like it but for some players it can be a major aspect. From where he has come from him and his family must be pretty depressed with waking up to grey skies every day. I wouldn't underestimate that.

My mrs moved here from Australia with her family a few years ago in October and they said they genuinely felt depressed for a good 6 months and it was all down the the weather/the fact it was dark most of the time.

So a guy moving from Mexico who doesn't speak English and is under constant scrutiny to perform could quite easily feel the same.

I'll be honest - He shows enough for me to think "what if" and the potential excites me - even though it's hard not to agree that when he has been somewhat poor, he's been very poor.

Ask yourself something though, if we'd signed him as a striker - not a midfielder, a striker... and all the youtube videos of him being a midfielder didnt exist- would your opinion of him be different?

He can clearly score goals.

Maybe when you develop more of a grasp on reality you will realise I’m trying to enhance our image rather than tarnish it

Listen petal I’m as big a loyalist as the next man, I’d just rather see our cause promoted through other means than shouting about the pope at the football.

My agenda is to enhance my clubs supporters image, by all means hold onto our loyalist/Protestant identity.

Singing FTP doesn’t do this, if anything it gives those who wish to strangle our identity the rope to do so.

You can all bang on about me being an apologist or suspicious all you want but in reality it’s far from it.

I care for my club, my people and our cause and I hate it when we sell ourselves short.

Then you have the issues I’ve raised on this thread. Now I don’t know the actual religious statistics but say for talking sake Catholics make up 20% of our first team squad.

Is singing about their religion more likely to have a positive or a negative effect on them?

Don’t give me this ‘ah but they don’t speak english’ It’s a lazy excuse.

We are there to support our team so let’s do that, let’s sing GSTQ, Rule Britannia but singing %^*& the pope is just damaging us, it will come back to bite us on the arse one day and we will all be looking back thinking was it really worth it.

I’m out of here with that.
I don’t disagree with your points at all, I think people are suspicious about the way you crowbarred it into the thread.

My mrs moved here from Australia with her family a few years ago in October and they said they genuinely felt depressed for a good 6 months and it was all down the the weather/the fact it was dark most of the time.

So a guy moving from Mexico who doesn't speak English and is under constant scrutiny to perform could quite easily feel the same.

I find it embarrassing the treament of Peña on here. Our player...he finally got on the pitch and scored. Started getting more goals and began to show a good understanding with Morales...a wee dip and a poor game v Motherwell and he is now public enemy No1.

High time we gave the lad a bit of breathing space. I'd get it if he hadn't score but he has...he needs to be allowed to bed in. Some players in our past have taken more than six months and been fine thereafter, why can't we allow him the same ? Not Peña's fault the Rangers are coming back from the the worst circumstances imaginable and worse.

I find it embarrassing the treament of Peña on here. Our player...he finally got on the pitch and scored. Started getting more goals and began to show a good understanding with Morales...a wee dip and a poor game v Motherwell and he is now public enemy No1.

High time we gave the lad a bit of breathing space. I'd get it if he hadn't score but he has...he needs to be allowed to bed in. Some players in our past have taken more than six months and been fine thereafter, why can't we allow him the same ? Not Peña's fault the Rangers are coming back from the the worst circumstances imaginable and worse.

I said in another thread a few weeks ago, if I went to play for a team in Mexico and found out their fans were talking about me the way Peña’s talked about on here, I’d stick two fingers up to them and look for a way out.

There’s definitely a touch of venom in there, I still don’t know why. Must be the only guy FF had the knives out for before he’d ever had an official start.

Last edited:
There’s definitely a touch of venom in there, I still don’t know why. Must be the only guy FF had time knives out for before he’d ever had an official start.

This is what I don't like. I'm no bleeding heart...not near it...but the attitude to a guy who has won us matches already is frightening. You'd think a lot on the forum would see him stuffed in a box and shot out of a cannon in the general direction of the Atlantic...

I can believe some are timposters, others teenage Bears with the kind of attitude growing up with the Internet on tap could only produce.

I remember Seb Rosenthal scoring a goal while playing on with an injury(and knowing so, he's admitted as much) at Ibrox on his debut then staying inside after the first half and that was pretty much it for him. Recuperation and some time under Advocaat, yet it petered out.

Seb was given plenty love and support even after saying he knew his knee was bad that day. Just an obvious example and Seb admits being depressed in Glasgow stuck in hotel rooms and not knowing too many people. Peña deserves time, just like any predecessor was given before him.

Some of the comments on here are embarrassing. He might not have been value for money but he’s nowhere near as bad as some are making out.

‘Worse than a man down’
‘Worst player ever’

Complete and utter nonsense.
Tell me what he offers?

Even in the St Johnstone game with them down to 10 and he gets 2 goals he offered nothing for the rest of the time on the pitch.

Rangers can not afford passengers and that’s what Pena is.

Think one of the guys on the heart and hand called him an empty jersey.

1oo% correct

Tell me what he offers?

Even in the St Johnstone game with them down to 10 and he gets 2 goals he offered nothing for the rest of the time on the pitch.

1oo% correct

So we should just ignore his contribution in the St Johnstone game because he done nothing else? Really?

He’s been a disappointment for the money spent but some of the criticism on here is ridiculous.

Tell me what he offers?

This is just silly. If you're wanting to make a point, it's probably not worth using the game where he scores two vital goals - both terrific finishes.

Tell me what he offers?

1oo% correct

Please read back what you've just said...

I'll happily take a player who is shite but still managers to score 2 goals every week.

Is he injured or does Murty not fancy him?

The two Mexicans probably won’t be here for much longer. Won’t be too hard moving them on IMO.

I said in another thread a few weeks ago, if I went to play for a team in Mexico and found out their fans were talking about me the way Peña’s talked about on here, I’d stick two fingers up to them and look for a way out.

There’s definitely a touch of venom in there, I still don’t know why. Must be the only guy FF had the knives out for before he’d ever had an official start.

Wouldn't you rather prove they were wrong?

Hateley got fuucking slaughtered for months when he signed for us, good job he didn't have your attitude.

So we should just ignore his contribution in the St Johnstone game because he done nothing else? Really?

He’s been a disappointment for the money spent but some of the criticism on here is ridiculous.

Look mate I would love him to prove me wrong and be a success.

But I can only call it as I see it, think it’s shambolic after all these months since he signed that when he does start he’s invariably hooked after an hour blowing it out his ass.

You don’t ignore his goals as his 2nd was tidy.

But I’m asking apart from that what does he offer.

I'm hopeful it'll work out with Peña.

Expectations are an issue. When we heard "Mexican international attacking midfielder", we thought we were getting a Juan Mata when he's more akin to Marouane Fellaini.

I like his movement, his goal threat and his positioning. In the semi final, he created two chances through that just before they opened the scoring. In truth, we looked less effective when he went off.

I completely understand that he could have offered more. I just think a lot of the criticism is over the top, and he's not being judged on what he is offering, but instead what people think he should be.

You don't things like the weather have an impact on a player and his family ?? You might not like it but for some players it can be a major aspect. From where he has come from him and his family must be pretty depressed with waking up to grey skies every day. I wouldn't underestimate that.

Do you think Pena's the first player to come to Scotland from a hot country?

Big Marv and Russell Latapy came from a Caribbean Island and they didn't do too badly here!

Russia and Ukraine is packed with South Americans who have done well over there.

The problem he has is his poor technical ability. He struggles to make a five yard pass, his first touch is poor, he has poor vison and he can't tackle. That can't be blamed on the weather.

We were warned that he had been in decline for the last couple of years. That's why he was loaned out last season by a club who had paid $8m for him a few years ago.

This is just silly. If you're wanting to make a point, it's probably not worth using the game where he scores two vital goals - both terrific finishes.

Quote all the post.

I said one of the guys on the heart and hand podcast said the goals apart his contribution was zero.

I agreed saying we cannot afford a passenger who when he’s not snatching a goal he’s doing nothing.

Windass who cost 60k and most think is rotten now has the same league goals as Pena.

Hard to believe he isn't amongst the best 18 players at the club to at least get a place on the bench.

Quote all the post.

I said one of the guys on the heart and hand podcast said the goals apart his contribution was zero.

I agreed saying we cannot afford a passenger who when he’s not snatching a goal he’s doing nothing.
Bingo as said waste of space.

I think there's natural talent there. He could be good, maybe even better.

I don't think he's got the stomach or determination - or even inclination - to realise his potential.

That'll be true in Scotland, Spain or Mexico.

Appears to have a bit of the Scottish waster about him, sadly.

Tell me what he offers?

1oo% correct
How can you be classed as a passenger yet score an equaliser and essentially the winner? That's silly I suppose the guy from the heart and hand has a proven track record as a professional?

He may be an "empty" jersey but the amount of empty headed comments on FF like this one is staggering man.

I know the guy does not to much too notice but have you seen his positional awareness off the ball the guy finds space permanently I'm not saying Hes been upto standard but get real if you can't see something in there. How to coax it out seems to be tje issue the now.

The idea that Krancjar is a better option than Pena is laughable, if he is fit he should have been involved.

We had guys on here telling us Niko was going to be a star this year. The same guy who has not kicked his own arse for years and who couldn’t run away from my baby daughter.

If Pena does go how much would we get for him? Two balloons and a pencil?

I’d be amazed if we get anything like what we paid for him, the whole deal seems ridiculous. But hey, who knows maybe he’ll come good settle and ..... nah I can’t see it either.
That much .get him on the next flight to mexico.

Was Barrie McKay from Mexico?

Is he injured or does Murty not fancy him?

The two Mexicans probably won’t be here matterfor much longer. Won’t be too hard moving them on IMO.

If the rumours are true Kenny doesn't fancy them and Murty does what Kenny says.

It matters not a jot what Kenny or Murty think though. It will be down to the new manager who will hopefully be installed soon.

If the rumours are true Kenny doesn't fancy them and Murty does what Kenny says.

It matters not a jot what Kenny or Murty think though. It will be down to the new manager who will hopefully be installed soon.

He wasn't in Pedro's last squad though......

We had guys on here telling us Niko was going to be a star this year. The same guy who has not kicked his own arse for years and who couldn’t run away from my baby daughter.

Even today I heard the guy behind me tell his mate the fable that Niko was one of the most naturally talented players in the uk.

Meanwhile my son said..you were right dad his touch is off and he gave the ball away. Guy clearly is not match fit or game ready. Neither has been Pena imo.

Given that Pena is younger and has a contract well beyond this season I know which one I would have played at 3 up with 20 to go.

Back