Penalties for Handball

EC54

Honestly hate how this has crept into our game. Every game seems to be based on did it strike a hand or arm and is it a penalty. Detest it. Just watched D Utd v Ross county and defender goes to clear the ball misses it and ball bounces of his arm. Penalty given. Crazy crazy stuff it wasnt as if Dun utd would have scored from the situation. You see it constantly in every match nowadays. To me they need to change the rule and make it a free kick in the box or even make a new penalty spot 25 yards from goal where it is 50/50 that you might score from it. What's everyone else's view. I think it is or has ruined the game nowadays.

Last edited:
I agree to an extent, however, if you take our first against Motherwell for example, although the defender clearly never meant to touch the ball with his arm, if his arm isn’t outstretched the ball goes right past him and could have easily fell to a Rangers player for a relatively easy shot on goal. For situations like that I can understand why penalties are given but some of the other decisions, like our second in the same game, if that hits the guys arm or it hits his chest its going to fall to the players feet anyway so i don’t think it should be in the rules to be given as a foul.

Last edited:
The bodies that run football are forever trying to fix something that wasn't broke with new rules.

A 25 yard penalty spot is about as mental as it could get.
It probably is but D utd were never going to score from the situation then they gain a penalty where they are favourites to score. If they made it 25 yards then its not so clear cut that they would score. The 25 yard penalty spot would only be for situations like this not for normal clear cut penalties.. Only a suggestion to a compromise on this nonsense every week, if you dont agree fair enough.

Penalties in general are given for virtually anything now and VAR has only made it worse. Look at the rat face bloke at United, he must have hat would have once been a seasons worth of goals from the spot already

Only a stonewall nowadays you would never have got a penalty for that in years gone by. Show me an example where you would have ?

Sorry I can’t remember every penalty ever given. I’m fairly sure there will be plenty where the defender catches the ball and a penalty is given though.

That’s a penalty under the old rules. He catches it ffs :))

If that’s against them there’s not a single Rangers fan saying nah I don’t think that’s a penalty.

No attempt to divert the ball from its path or handle intentionally, I wouldn't be sure they would have.

I wouldn't have sought a Rangers penalty for that last season, that's the truth.

this should have been a penalty and a red card

1:50

Off course it should have, it stopped the ball going in the net, a total different scenario from the game I am talking about where D Utd wouldnt have scored from the ball bouncing up and hitting an arm?

Dont agree , there was nothing unnatural about his arm in the position it was when he tried to clear the ball. Where should it have been ?
There was nothing unnatural? It looks like it was cupped at a point. Are we watching the same clip?

That’s a penalty under the old rules. He catches it ffs :))

If that’s against them there’s not a single Rangers fan saying nah I don’t think that’s a penalty.
And if it's against us you are happy that it is the correct decision? I certainly wouldnt be.

Like stuck between his hand and back if hi hand was in a natural position that wouldn’t have happened

There was nothing unnatural? It looks like it was cupped at a point. Are we watching the same clip?

He's trying to pull his arm away from it's natural position where the ball will get trapped. He's trying to avoid the penalty, just slow in movement all round, not thought.

He's trying to pull his arm away from it's natural position where the ball will get trapped. He's trying to avoid the penalty, just slow in movement all round, not thought.
Could be right, just it’s easy to understand how it can be misconstrued as a handball from the refs perspective is all. It doesn’t look natural to me is all. My eye might not be as well trained as yours though.

Like stuck between his hand and back if hi hand was in a natural position that wouldn’t have happened
What is a natural position when you swing your boot to clear a ball and it bounces up and gets trapped against your arm and body never in a million years did he mean to handle it. 20 penguins we will need on a park shortly . A total farce the game has become. This sort of incident was never a talking point up until the last 2 or 3 seasons

What is a natural position when you swing your boot to clear a ball and it bounces up and gets trapped against your arm and body never in a million years did he mean to handle it. 20 penguins we will need on a park shortly . A total farce the game has become. This sort of incident was never a talking point up until the last 2 or 3 seasons
I do agree but like I said above it would be easy to misconstrue it. Would we be calling for a penalty if it was us?

Could be right, just it’s easy to understand how it can be misconstrued as a handball from the refs perspective is all. It doesn’t look natural to me is all. My eye might not be as well trained as yours though.

The ref has to give them now, it's criminal.

Big centre back making a shite attempt an honest clearance and tries to pull his hand away to avoid the penalty, just his body not moving as quick as his brain needed to.

I was a shite on my left side also. :)

I do agree but like I said above it would be easy to misconstrue it. Would we be calling for a penalty if it was us?
I'm not really talking about if it was for us or against us. It's just nonsense its given when the attacking team were not going to score from the situation anyway.

The ref has to give them now, it's criminal.

Big centre back making a shite attempt an honest clearance and tries to pull his hand away to avoid the penalty, just his body not moving as quick as his brain needed to.

I was a shite on my left side also. :)
Perception is a great thing then, you and me both seen this in two different ways, so the ref could have also.

I'm not really talking about if it was for us or against us. It's just nonsense its given when the attacking team were not going to score from the situation anyway.
Yes I do get that. To be fair if we were in this situation I’d be one of the Neanderthals shouting for a penalty

Perception is a great thing then, you and me both seen this in two different ways, so the ref could have also.

Until recently, I would never be looking for a penalty that was entirely accidental.

It was accidental today by a country mile, the guy did everything to avoid giving away a penalty here.

Even now I'm sympathetic to the big diddy.

Until recently, I would never be looking for a penalty that was entirely accidental.

It was accidental today by a country mile, the guy did everything to avoid giving away a penalty here.

Even now I'm sympathetic to the big diddy.
I have to disagree lol if it puts balls in the net then surely we could be happy about it

Off the top off my head I can only think off 2 situations regarding us and handball in the box, both against them in Cup finals John Greig making a save on the line which was a Stone Waller and Derek Johnstone on the line which wasnt. That's it. No other major talking points that I can think off however please tell me off anymore yous can think off? (Probably some of yous haven't a clue what I'm talking about )Nowadays it's a talking point in every match . Simply nowadays its sh$#. but become the norm to discuss unfortunately.

Teach everyone at training how to fall and dive in the box at every challenge and teach them how to aim crosses at arms and hands its the way ahead in the modern game. Its pathetic.

No attempt to divert the ball from its path or handle intentionally, I wouldn't be sure they would have.

I wouldn't have sought a Rangers penalty for that last season, that's the truth.
That’s madness mate, every ref in the past 20 years would’ve gave that as a penalty.

That’s madness mate, every ref in the past 20 years would’ve gave that as a penalty.

The ball hit his arm, not his arm hitting the ball to alter its flight.

Refs would know that's clumsy and accidental and wave play on. Shake their head and game on.

Show me an example that they wouldn’t have :D works both ways.
Basic handball in the box was never a talking point until recently, only if it was blatant and stopped the ball going into the net or stopped a goal scoring chance was it ever really discussed.

Back