Pep responds to fan comments, will walk if he is a problem

I had a soft spot for City when they were cutting about with Nicky Weaver, Paul Dickov, the goat and co in the second division.
They undoubtedly had a passionate and loyal support. People do forget that, but they’re also right that they aren’t and IMO will never be a huge club either.

Granted. But they're not tin-pot either. They're a fine club with a good history and support and I don't get people calling them tin-pot. Up to the end of the first half of the 20th Century they were bigger and more successful than United and have always had a big support, albeit concentrated mainly in the NW of England and not global.

Not sure about that with regard to the previous 10/15, Chelsea been in CL a few times at that point - City had never been in it. Chelsea had won a European Trophy as well.

Football was big before the Champions League. Before 1990 Chelsea had one the league once (1955), the FA Cup once (1970), the League Cup once (1965) and the Cup-Winners Cup in 1971. City had two League titles (1937 and 1968), the FA Cup 4 times (1904, 1934, 1956 and 1969), the League Cup twice (1970 and 1976) and the Cup-Winners Cup in 1970. They were also runners-up in many more competitions than Chelsea. Chelsea really only became what we know now from the 1990s, and especially after Abramovich took over (2003 I think?). City have been competing often for honours since the turn of the 19th Century into the 20th.

Football was big before the Champions League. Before 1990 Chelsea had one the league once (1955), the FA Cup once (1970), the League Cup once (1965) and the Cup-Winners Cup in 1971. City had two League titles (1937 and 1968), the FA Cup 4 times (1904, 1934, 1956 and 1969), the League Cup twice (1970 and 1976) and the Cup-Winners Cup in 1970. They were also runners-up in many more competitions than Chelsea. Chelsea really only became what we know now from the 1990s, and especially after Abramovich took over (2003 I think?). City have been competing often for honours since the turn of the 19th Century into the 20th.
Aware of that mate, why I said the previous 10/15.

Reactions: ao2
Went City a fair bit late 90s as best mate at School supported them, was at the Friday night match v Blackpool when they first played in division 3. Had to go in away end as it was packed.

Went City a fair bit late 90s as best mate at School supported them, was at the Friday night match v Blackpool when they first played in division 3. Had to go in away end as it was packed.

I've always liked them since I was a kid, around the time of Colin Bell, and can remember wanting them to win the 1981 FA Cup Final just because everyone and their granny was singing that bloody Ossie Ardiles Spurs song lol. They've lost a lot their soul over the last 10/15 years for sure but that's what too much money does to some clubs.

Fair enough mate, I just don't get people (not you) who try to say they're not a big club and then compare them with Chelsea when they were always much bigger than them up to the 1990s.
Both got a load of history and good away support. Good memories of going both Stadiums with City and Chelsea mates. Loses me some comments on here about City but I just think people can never have been Maine Road for starters, mind I think the same about people who take piss out of Chelsea support - cracking away, especially in Europe.

I've always liked them since I was a kid, around the time of Colin Bell, and can remember wanting them to win the 1981 FA Cup Final just because everyone and their granny was singing that bloody Ossie Ardiles Spurs song lol. They've lost a lot their soul over the last 10/15 years for sure but that's what too much money does to some clubs.
Was just a day out for me, Hurleys to look at all the latest clothes and rough pubs in late teens, always an adventure. As well as buying Oasis bootleg cds!

Reactions: ao2
Both got a load of history and good away support. Good memories of going both Stadiums with City and Chelsea mates. Loses me some comments on here about City but I just think people can never have been Maine Road for starters, mind I think the same about people who take piss out of Chelsea support - cracking away, especially in Europe.
Chelsea returned tickets for their Champions League semi final v Liverpool at Anfield.

Chelsea returned tickets for their Champions League semi final v Liverpool at Anfield.
I would rather respect the ones I know who go all over mate, going places like Tromso in the snow or Baku. You can find a negative in anything if you look hard enough.

City are one of the best teams in the world and can't sell out their stadium, yet people have a go at the likes of Motherwell or St Johnstone for not selling out their grounds. You've got to laugh.

Last edited:
I would rather respect the ones I know who go all over mate, going places like Tromso in the snow or Baku. You can find a negative in anything if you look hard enough.
I respect the guys who go as well, but returning tickets for a Champions League semi final in your own country is poor.

S

Spent a lot of time watching city in the 90s when not at Ibrox. One of the main attractions for me to City was the humour and humility in the stands. You really see the loyalty of your fan base when your local rivals are winning everything. A point that shouldn’t be lost on ourselves.

I would imagine the novelty of big signings and limitless resources has worn off on the fans who followed them through the 70s to 90s. It has taken some of the soul out of the club as did moving ground. The ‘tourist’ fans just won’t turn up for run of the mill league games.

I would take exception that they are tin pot though. Having watched them many times home and away in 3 divisions they have a huge core local support. Many have simply been alienated by the new corporate culture at the club.
Agreed, although it's good for guys like me who can get access to that level of game.

Pep is held to a ridiculous standard that no other manager in world football is.

Aye, he's a prickly bastard with a notoriously thin skin but he's adapted and evolved since 2008 when others like Mourinho have been left behind.

Watching him in the dressing room doing team talks with that stupid dancing around pointing. Or grabbing players on the park and lecturing them while looking to see if the cameras are on him. He gets results. But hes a complete fanny
He gets results by only managing clubs with bottomless transfer budgets that are already successful.

Tinpot is a bit much.
But you have to put them in the same bracket as Leeds, West Ham, Newcastle and Everton imo
Second tier

With the Arab money I think those other clubs would dwarf them.

City and Chelsea are both big clubs. They are at numbers 2 and 3 on the all time record attendances for English clubs on Wikipedia. I worked for a while in Manchester late 1980s and used to go to Maine road, they had a lot of great loyal fans despite their lack of success. Agree that they’ve maybe lost a bit of their soul but still have a soft spot for them.

City and Chelsea are both big clubs. They are at numbers 2 and 3 on the all time record attendances for English clubs on Wikipedia. I worked for a while in Manchester late 1980s and used to go to Maine road, they had a lot of great loyal fans despite their lack of success. Agree that they’ve maybe lost a bit of their soul but still have a soft spot for them.
A lot of those fans don’t attend City games anymore.

City are an average club in England - not elite and not tin pot - simply, average.

The three clubs you mentioned are bigger than City.
Absolutely. But they are in a mini-league with a load of others. They are all average.

There’s 3 clubs in England; Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal. Then there’s Chelsea. Then there’s the rest.

No doubting Man city is a traditional English club, but would love to see what Pep could with a Burnley type side, let's be honest he's had big budgets wherever he's been, surely he'd like to test himself, then again.

No doubting Man city is a traditional English club, but would love to see what Pep could with a Burnley type side, let's be honest he's had big budgets wherever he's been, surely he'd like to test himself, then again.
Surely going back to Barcelona would be a massive test now?

Would love to see him at a club that ain’t already dominating to see how good a manager he really is

I hear people saying this with alot of managers. He's not taking a Southampton and making them title winners, but he would certainly improve them. When he leaves city there will be clubs all over Europe wanting him. Do you think anyone is going to knock them back and go to a mid table side.

What is it about the match day experience that is superb? I keep hearing this to be honest but nobody seems to really say exactly what. I just can’t for one minute think it’s the atmosphere generated by the fans so must be the ease of service and facilities etc.. genuine question, as I do keep hearing people saying how good a trip there is.
They have all sorts of bars, food outlets outside the stadium before the game. This can be accessed even if you don't have a ticket for the game. The tram from
the city centre drops you right at the ground. They have a stage with a band playing. They also make a big thing of the team bus arrival at the front door around 90 mins before ko. They build it up with their TV channel doing competition give aways in the build up as a crowd gathers at the main entrance. Music setting the atmosphere as the bus comes in to view and players announced one by one as they leave the bus to walk along the red carpet in to the stadium.
You can watch that before going in the stadium for a couple of pints before kick off.

Then you go up and take your seats........ and the atmosphere is shit

They have all sorts of bars, food outlets outside the stadium before the game. This can be accessed even if you don't have a ticket for the game. The tram from
the city centre drops you right at the ground. They have a stage with a band playing. They also make a big thing of the team bus arrival at the front door around 90 mins before ko. They build it up with their TV channel doing competition give aways in the build up as a crowd gathers at the main entrance. Music setting the atmosphere as the bus comes in to view and players announced one by one as they leave the bus to walk along the red carpet in to the stadium.
You can watch that before going in the stadium for a couple of pints before kick off.

Then you go up and take your seats........ and the atmosphere is shit
It’s not for me all that really but can see why people would like it. I like the ones at some German grounds where they’ll just have football on tvs, basically bars that mind. Sounds more like a family type thing I always think? I kind of picture American Football/Baseball etc to be like you describe, I’ve never been USA mind so just guessing there.

Could you not save yourself a few quid by not bothering with the game? Haha.

Never really looked at Hospitality at Football but is this regular at most Clubs? Seems to be all kinds at Man City:

Back