Perisic today vs Big Derek vs Wales

Which headed goal was better? Ivan Perisic's today against Japan or Big Derek's against Wales in the

• Ivan

Votes: 18 9.0%
  • Derek

Votes: 182 91.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bluenote

Watching Perisic's goal today against Japan reminded me of a brilliant goal scored by our very own Derek Johnstone against Wales at Hampden back in the 1970s. Different headers, but which was the better goal?

DJ’s goal was very good but it in my mind it was utterly amazing. I didn’t see footage of it until decades later and was a bit disappointed. I imagined it being almost outside the box and nearly breaking the sound barrier :))

...but Perisic’s header wasn’t from 25 yards out like DJ’s...lol :) Funnily enough I was watching that goal today with my staff and big Derek’s goal v Wales was exactly what it reminded me of. Great headers both.

was at the wales game brutal game if I remember correctly DJ header went in like a bullet could not. believe they never played him in Argentina

Derek Johnstone's goal was a cracker, that we still talk about 44 years later.
Perisic's goal was very good, but I doubt any Croatians will be crowing about it in 2066.

It still angers me that Derek Johnstone was not used in Argentina 78', and Jordan was.
It made absolutely no sense whatsoever at the time.
It makes even less sense today.

Joe Jordan had made the big move from Leeds to Man Utd that Jan 78',
but scored only 3 goals in 16 games for Man Utd, who finished in 10th place in the English Div 1
(4 points behind Leeds Utd in 9th position).
In that same period Derek Johnstone had scored 20 Goals in 22 Games.
Joe Jordan's goal for Scotland in the 3-1 win v Czechoslovakia (Sep 77'), was the ONLY goal he had scored for Scotland in the previous THREE years.

Derek Johnstone had just scored 38 Goals in 47 games in that 77-78 season.
Derek Johnstone had just won the Treble for the second time in three seasons with Rangers
(90 Goals in the last three seasons)
Johnstone's 2 goals in 2 games in 4 days (v N. Ireland and Wales) were Scotland's only goals scored in the Home Internationals, in the weeks leading up to Argentina.
Joe Jordan had scored in 1 Goal in 12 games, in the past 3 years for Scotland!

Johnstone was arguably the best all round Striker in Great Britain that season, and was awarded both the SFWA Footballer of the Year, and the PFA Scotland Players' Player of the Year (the first to do so), and he certainly posed a much greater goal threat than Jordan.
This was probably Derek Johnstone at his peak, in a career that saw him collect 14 Winners medals.
Joe Jordan, who was at the time struggling to score goals, in a team that was struggling to win points, collected 1 (one) winners medal in his entire 20 year playing career.

Perisic's goal was very good, but I doubt any Croatians will be crowing about it in 2066.

It still angers me that Derek Johnstone was not used in Argentina 78', and Jordan was.
It made absolutely no sense whatsoever at the time.
It makes even less sense today.

Joe Jordan had made the big move from Leeds to Man Utd that Jan 78',
but scored only 3 goals in 16 games for Man Utd, who finished in 10th place in the English Div 1
(4 points behind Leeds Utd in 9th position).
In that same period Derek Johnstone had scored 20 Goals in 22 Games.
Joe Jordan's goal for Scotland in the 3-1 win v Czechoslovakia (Sep 77'), was the ONLY goal he had scored for Scotland in the previous THREE years.

Derek Johnstone had just scored 38 Goals in 47 games in that 77-78 season.
Derek Johnstone had just won the Treble for the second time in three seasons with Rangers
(90 Goals in the last three seasons)
Johnstone's 2 goals in 2 games in 4 days (v N. Ireland and Wales) were Scotland's only goals scored in the Home Internationals, in the weeks leading up to Argentina.
Joe Jordan had scored in 1 Goal in 12 games, in the past 3 years for Scotland!

Johnstone was arguably the best all round Striker in Great Britain that season, and was awarded both the SFWA Footballer of the Year, and the PFA Scotland Players' Player of the Year (the first to do so), and he certainly posed a much greater goal threat than Jordan.
This was probably Derek Johnstone at his peak, in a career that saw him collect 14 Winners medals.
Joe Jordan, who was at the time struggling to score goals, in a team that was struggling to win points, collected 1 (one) winners medal in his entire 20 year playing career.
You're wasting your time, Mo.

There were people on here a few weeks ago, on the very same subject, arguing that Jordan was a better footballer than Johnstone and McLeod was right to go with Jordan and Dalglish.

What is the point?

Name and shame everyone that didn't vote for Big Derek.

They're clearly on the wrong board.

Kerryfail St's that way -------------->

...but Perisic’s header wasn’t from 25 yards out like DJ’s...lol :) Funnily enough I was watching that goal today with my staff and big Derek’s goal v Wales was exactly what it reminded me of. Great headers both.
He's just inside the '25 yard line' when he headers it, so I'd say it is more like 17 yards ;) :p

I was at the Wales game and remember Willie Donachie scoring a truly bizarre 90th minute own goal.

DJ’s header was incredible. Almost as good as him outjumping McNeill and Craig in the 1970 League Cup Final!

Think it was 1978, just before Argentina. The big man was on fire that year along with Gordon Smith but McLeod didn,t use D.J. despite him and Smudger scoring over 70 goals between them.
That is when I started to fall out of love with the National Team.
Big DJ was my hero when I was young and I was gutted for him when McLeod didn't play him.

You're wasting your time, Mo.

There were people on here a few weeks ago, on the very same subject, arguing that Jordan was a better footballer than Johnstone and McLeod was right to go with Jordan and Dalglish.

What is the point?
I hear you,
but if we fail to get the facts across, then those that don't know, or are too young to appreciate,
will be swayed by the claims of clowns.

Seen loads of headed goals similar to Perisic's goal. Can't recall seeing another even close to big DJ's that night against Wales.

The fact that the manager chose to drop the man who had scored Scotlands only goals in the games against NI and Wales for the match against England was outrageous.

The fact that we drew a blank in that game and the manager not only refused to bring him on but then refused to use him at all at the World Cup Finals was nothing short of disgraceful.

And anyone voting against him in this poll is as big a fanny and knows as much about football as the Scotland manager of the time.

Probably partly because they make and do well in tournaments with regularity and that will likely continue into the future.

Scotland clings onto celebrating the past because there's not been much to celebrate for a long time.

I've never really got over Argentina 78, no one would believe how carried away we all were and how crushing the disappointment was, I was never the same again about the national team after it and 2 words to sum Ally McLeods squad up, Joe Fukkin Harper
Was 24 at the time had a passing interested in Scotland but had never been to an international game,The 78 W.C. had everybody buzzing but after the whole debacle and the fact McCloud left D.J. sitting on the bench absolutely finished me with Scotland,Petty I know but it’s stuck with me.

Probably partly because they make and do well in tournaments with regularity and that will likely continue into the future.

Scotland clings onto celebrating the past because there's not been much to celebrate for a long time.
I think you are missing the point.
We are talking about the quality of the goal scored, not about a nations success or failure.
I don't think anyone is clinging on to a 1-1 draw with Wales 44 years ago, as a celebration.
Just my opinion.

Didn;t DJ score the same week against NI with a header from outside the box?
He did indeed score with a header against NI that week but not from outside the box. Much closer than the one against Wales.

The goal against Wales was the one that was reputedly from outside the box - certainly looked as if it was at least edge of the box from my vantage point in the old North Enclosure. TV footage later showed that, although he started at the edge of the box, he meet the ball a good bit inside.

Strangely enough when watching that game big DJ came to mind for me, was thinking that was a classical DJ goal.

Back