Perspective on progress

Hate threads like this. Don’t care where we were last year.

We’ve underachieved in that group this season. Every other team has been in disarray and sacked their manager due to their form. Also if I’m right they are all in the bottom half of their divisions.

Don’t get me wrong nice to be back in Europe but we should have been through that group as the other teams imo were shit.

Just a couple of quality midfielders short or we could be through quite easily.

We’ve underachieved in that group this season. Every other team has been in disarray and sacked their manager due to their form. Also if I’m right they are all in the bottom half of their divisions.

Don’t get me wrong nice to be back in Europe but we should have been through that group as the other teams imo were shit.

You're saying we should progress whilst still needing additions to be strong though. We're not that good. We're making progress. Key word being progress.

Just take a sit back and remind yourself where we were 12 months ago, christ, even 6 months ago.

It's a sore one for sure, but we are moving (albeit with a few bumps), in the right direction.

Said similar on the match thread, in SG we have a great young manger who will take us forward, we do need reinforcements but considering he's overhauled the squad in only one transfer window , has taken us into Europe and has us competing in the league, we are definitely in a better place than we've been in years! Onwards and upwards.

Yep, it is hard to be positive right now, but over two legs, only Spartak beat us during this season in Europe.

Do also ask yourself the question how long it took the likes of Souness, Walter, McLeish, or Advocaat to manage such an unbeaten run ... and with such low-key players (by our standards).

We're for weeks running on empty - player-wise. And had this game taken place a couple of months ago, we would sure have wiped the floor with them again. Not to be, so has anyone checked out where the Champions League finale 2020 is going to take place? We need to change the tune now!

You're saying we should progress whilst still needing additions to be strong though. We're not that good. We're making progress. Key word being progress.
Never said we needed additions to go through. I said I thought we could have easily went through with a Steve Davis in the engine room.

No excuses accepted here. We should be through I don’t care much for the glorious failure we did well pish.

We need to raise the expectations as we are a massive club. Otherwise we may as well sit back and watch the Tim’s stroll it for several more years.

We're still a couple of players short but we can't expect the World in a few short months.

Gerrard is still learning and even allowing for that, we've gone further in Europe than any of us could honestly have expected.

A good transfer window csn make all the difference and if we can put in a genuine challenge to Celtic this season, even if we don't win it, we'll have come a long way.

The title might have to wait for next season but i still think we're going in the right direction.

Never said we needed additions to go through. I said I thought we could have easily went through with a Steve Davis in the engine room.

No excuses accepted here. We should be through I don’t care much for the glorious failure we did well pish.

We need to raise the expectations as we are a massive club. Otherwise we may as well sit back and watch the Tim’s stroll it for several more years.
You're being unrealistic. And until we get that Davis in the engine room, a night such as this are a possibility.

why do we use last season-one of the worst in our history-as some sort of barometer for how far we have come?
Last season was a unmitigated disaster.
Are we any closer to beating Celtic and winning the League? No
The majority of these players are not good enough to be at Rangers and never will be.
progress? learning curve? Not buying it

Tinpot mentality, we’re going nowhere if being slightly less crap than the last time is the height of our ambitions.

I’m less bothered about Europe but we’ve fallen off a cliff and are looking like the dross we’ve watched the past two seasons, down to the same failings tactically, selling cheap goals and carrying as much goal threat as a Sunday school team.

The team did well earlier in the season but right now we are crap.

The European run has been very positive. That team of ours is seriously lacking in quality. We have potential in certain positions and the good news is Gerrard will learn about Scottish Football quickly.
We still need at least four quality attacking players. Morelos is a liability at the same time as been brilliant. So you need back up for him. Middleton is not ready for first team football other than sporadic apperiances.
We need two wide players with quality, we need an attacking midfielder and a striker. But there is progress.

why do we use last season-one of the worst in our history-as some sort of barometer for how far we have come?
The majority of these players are not good enough to be at Rangers and never will be.

Why use last season...ehh because it was last season?

Are we any closer to Celtic - we're 2 points behind them.

While it has been great to be back in europe we have never had a better chance to qualify. We have been dross in the past few weeks and it needs to change fast. We are still miles off and let's be honest if we don't see major improvements we will struggle to get past the qualifiers next year. We did well getting past them this year but we also had the draw go in our favour and there is every chance that won't happen next year. The league is the most important thing now and for me not losing anymore points and beating the filth before the winter break is a must.

Should of progressed from the group in our first season back in Europe but we need players to challenge for a domestic title?

Good logic mate

How times have progressed. We now think it’s acceptable to get beat by a team who’s 8th in the Austrian league and a push Spartan Moscow team??

Forgive me I grew up through 9 in a row but I can’t warp my mind to think we did well in that group. Some good results yes but I think we should be through therefore it’s disappointing. We need to be disappointed otherwise where’s the incentive to do better next time.

We have a much better squad of players and by rights should have done better in the league we did ourselves well in Europe and made people take notice we are on our way, progress is being made but injuries to key players could have made all the difference however it is what it is, we are getting there.

So what season do you suggest?

I put it to you that you're just another head in the sand negative dick who will cherry pick his statistics/comparisons in order to remind us actual supporters how shite everything is and how it was wonderful before we were skint.

How times have progressed. We now think it’s acceptable to get beat by a team who’s 8th in the Austrian league and a push Spartan Moscow team??

Forgive me I grew up through 9 in a row but I can’t warp my mind to think we did well in that group. Some good results yes but I think we should be through therefore it’s disappointing. We need to be disappointed otherwise where’s the incentive to do better next time.
As opposed to getting skelped by AEK Athens and the likes?

We were shocking during 9iar in Europe. And that was with a team of genuine superstars.

As opposed to getting skelped by AEK Athens and the likes?

We were shocking during 9iar in Europe. And that was with a team of genuine superstars.
9iar team would have strolled that group. Not even in question. Europe is nowhere near as competitive nowadays.

So what season do you suggest?

I put it to you that you're just another head in the sand negative dick who will cherry pick his statistics/comparisons in order to remind us actual supporters how shite everything is and how it was wonderful before we were skint.

people like you are going to wake up in a few years and in all innocence ask how did we not stop 10IAR, how did the Tims win these trebles? Where did we get it wrong
And in your babe like innocence you still won't have a fcuking clue

9iar team would have strolled that group. Not even in question. Europe is nowhere near as competitive nowadays.

Maybe you get your record book out and check some scores. We have serious gripe over the last couple of league games, but we struggled past Falkirk and Co. with Laudrup and Gazza in our sides too. Only that the internet was not so ... vibrant.

Obviously no way to prove either way, but the tactical naivety of the 9iar team would see us struggle to get any points because the opposition are far more organised.

people like you are going to wake up in a few years and in all innocence ask how did we not stop 10IAR, how did the Tims win these trebles? Where did we get it wrong
And in your babe like innocence you still won't have a fcuking clue
I couldn't give a fućk what they do, so I won't be asking anything about them.

My love of rangers is infinitely more than my hatred of that lot, and our success is not defined in relation to what they do.

But you carry on, with your fairweather support of our team and obsession about what they do. Sleep well, knowing you've out-staunched someone on the Internet.

You make good few points my friend ,but your big point is you grew up during 9iar,I grew up through them winning 9iar, our great team in the 60,s barren years then our 9iar, banter years and now,I'm fucking sick to death of people moaning aboutt tnite this guy Mr g has had one transfer window to build a team wish bears would all just calm down,yes we're all disappointed,but he needs time and I for one I'm sure HE will get it right!

You’ve got to take into consideration where we were, where we’ve been.
This explains why we can’t just go and buy the solution you’re looking for.

You’ve got to take into consideration where we were, where we’ve been.
This explains why we can’t just go and buy the solution you’re looking for.
Do we need to buy a solution to beat a team 8th in Austria, 16th in Spain and %^*& knows where Moscow are?

I expect us to do a bit better. I think I’m more concerned some supporters are beginning to think this is ok and we’ve had a good run.

The weight of expectation is unreal.

We got through four qualifying rounds.

And will have to do it again come July next season, when the draws might not be so favourable.

12 points are a must before we meet celtic .the auld firm game will take care of its self.. but we need 12 points.. nothing more nothing less

We should be through. Moscow home and away were a huge letdown and tonight we were the best side.

Do we need to buy a solution to beat a team 8th in Austria, 16th in Spain and %^*& knows where Moscow are?

I expect us to do a bit better. I think I’m more concerned some supporters are beginning to think this is ok and we’ve had a good run.
For most of us, it is okay, for today, and we have had a good run, a helluva good run.
We’ll be expecting more next season though.

Fair enough mate. Let’s keep the standards and expectations high. I’m sure a couple more transfer windows and we’ll be able to compete at a much higher level.

If playing against this quality, probably.
So would Advocaats team, and probably Smiths second term team as well.
I’m struggling with the relevance though.

If playing against this quality, probably.
So would Advocaats team, and probably Smiths second term team as well.
I’m struggling with the relevance though.
There was other post previously where I said I was probably spoiled growing up watching 9iar to which someone mentioned the 9iar team are all over 50 or some pish like that.

In any case I wasn’t trying to compare the current team to the 9iar

its an irrevelant point being made. if you want to compare the teams, I presume we will also reflect on the defeats to lesser european teams aswell.
Forget 9iar. Do you personally think it’s acceptable to get put out of Europe by a team 8th in the Austrian league, a 16th place Spanish team and Spartak Moscow who were the worst team we played in Europe this year? C’mon man it wasn’t anywhere near a tough group in the end. I’ve enjoyed the European run as I think all the games have been exciting but ultimately we’ve not even scratched the surface of a right good European team this year.

Back