Perthshire Juniors - playing surface

I only ever played on black ash once. Worst pitch I ever played on.
Can't say for sure where, it was a long time ago, but I've got Cowlairs in my head.
Did Cowlairs have black ash?

My mind might be playing tricks again, but didn't there used to be a mostly black ash pitch in Croftfoot?
I say "mostly" because I think it had some grass on it and it was maybe meant to be a grass pitch.

Croftfoot, the pioneers of hybrid pitches.

Cowlairs was black ash, there were nine pitches and went in steps in pairs, with pitch 9 being at the top on its own.

Think the 50 pitches were black ash too, but coming from Springburn/Possil didn't play south of the river much.

Cowlairs was black ash, there were nine pitches and went in steps in pairs, with pitch 9 being at the top on its own.

Think the 50 pitches were black ash too, but coming from Springburn/Possil didn't play south of the river much.
Cowlairs it must have been then because I do recall we had to climb up to them.
I also played quite a bit on Cardonald pitches (ex 50 pitches) in the 80's.
There were only 4 or 5 by then and were all red ash.
If they were once black ash then it was before my time.:))

Used to play regularly at Dawsholm. They were aĺl black ash pitches then.
Horrible to play on. Not just ash but lumps.

Playing primary school football on full size pitches and goals. Was always easy to lob the keeper.

Used to play regularly at Dawsholm. They were aĺl black ash pitches then.
Horrible to play on. Not just ash but lumps.

Playing primary school football on full size pitches and goals. Was always easy to lob the keeper.

Dawsholm was a shithole. Horrible pitches.

Anyone remember Clouston Street? The one pitch in the middle of nowheresville.

Yes played there a few times. It was a long time ago but as you say one pitch in a row of tenements.

Definitely black ash played on it mid 70s for Grangemouth juniors in the Scottish Pumpherston went there in the next round went back to dressing rooms after game all their clothes had disappeared!

The other one from further back in my youth that was black ash was Glenconner Park in the cesspit of Garngad. Only 2,black ash pitches I can recall
Played on that many a time .Some grass at the very edge of the putch
If memory serves changing rooms were a portocabin

Having a conversation and i recall Perthshire played on a black ash pitch years ago when the bus garage was still there.

Apparently its all grass now.

Anyone agree or am i talking pish.

Definitely black ash, as I often used to go and watch Perthshire when visiting my gran who lived in Ashfield Street,
That was back in the early 1960s

Cowlairs it must have been then because I do recall we had to climb up to them.
I also played quite a bit on Cardonald pitches (ex 50 pitches) in the 80's.
There were only 4 or 5 by then and were all red ash.
If they were once black ash then it was before my time.:))
Played on them too.There were our home pitches
There was about 3/4 to an inch of red ash on the surface.The only thing that ever put a game off was heavy snow .On frosty days there was a skin on the ground that broke when stood on it

There was a thread on FF once about Rangers looking at the possibility of playing directly across Denmark Street from the Perthshire ground. That was before the move to Ibrox.

Last edited:
I remember my dad playing against the shire there in the mid 70s, it was defo black ash then, I Remember the changing rooms were shit

Closeburn? The red ash pitch.

It would be going back 140 years or so.

It would have been sandwiched between Saracen Foundry and a smaller one to the south. There wasn’t a Closeburn Street then, although in the 1890s there was a pitch where Perthshire still play.

I remember Clouston Street Two pitches with floodlights. Midweek friendlies when your weekend game was cancelled. Memories. Memories.

I remember Clouston Street Two pitches with floodlights. Midweek friendlies when your weekend game was cancelled. Memories. Memories.

Great pitch though. One of our defence went through a guy and broke his leg. The sound was horrendous. It was a sharp noise then it all went tits up.

It kinda reverberated around the houses.

Every Sunday in Possil you had the hangover match, in the grounds of Possil Secondary.
The massive red ash behind the Post Office, about 20 aside any age. rotation subs every 15 minutes. Very passionate no holds barred entertainment
Same in carntyne every Sunday

I only ever played on black ash once. Worst pitch I ever played on.
Can't say for sure where, it was a long time ago, but I've got Cowlairs in my head.
Did Cowlairs have black ash?

My mind might be playing tricks again, but didn't there used to be a mostly black ash pitch in Croftfoot?
I say "mostly" because I think it had some grass on it and it was maybe meant to be a grass pitch.

Croftfoot, the pioneers of hybrid pitches.

Croftfoot, had 1 grass, one black ash, then through the hole in the fence you had Kings Park Rangers grass pitch and changing rooms ( portacabin)

I remember playing for the shire against petershill , I got myself deliberately sent off in second half so I could go and see Rangers beat Dundee Utd in league cup final with last minute Ian Redford goal. In those days you opened the big gates 20 minutes before time up. Me and another young unpicked possil player seen them last 29 minutes and the lifting of the cup. He asked if I done it on purpose and we still laugh at it today .
From the san Siro to Hampden in one day lol

St Anthony's behind the wee Rangers club on Edminston Drive used to be black ash played there many a time , they move to the 50 pitches at sheildhall roundabout, facing the Royal Stewart Masonic hall,

Back