Peru v Scotland WC 1978 Highlights

At 12 years old I remember ‘78 as my first “grown up” World Cup and my Dad even gave me a wee glass of beer before this game. Throughly dejected by the end of the night.

Can we have the Holland match please ???!!!

It was painful enough when I was 10. Can't watch even now
Same. At the age of 10 I actually believed that pish that we were "not coming home without a medal" :eek:
Thankfully that young lesson has taught me to go into every Scotland game with a who cares we're shite attitude.

Used to moan about Scotland doing fook all in tournaments, little did we know that was us peaked
Look at us now, left behind by almost every other nation, pretty sad state of affairs

Teofilo Cubillas.

A name that strikes fear into the heart of Scotsmen of a certain age.
I'm sure he would've been a household name in the modern game and a quick scan of his Wikipedia page says he moved to Porto for £200,000 in 1973/74. Was that far off the world record at that time?

Used to moan about Scotland doing fook all in tournaments, little did we know that was us peaked
Look at us now, left behind by almost every other nation, pretty sad state of affairs
I think it's more the case of more small countries started playing competitively. Granted, we probably punched above our weight back then but once you had to beat 3 or 4 Balkan or former Soviet sides, we've struggled with at least one of them being better by and large.

The omission of Souness and DJ was our downfall.
The same old Scottish issue, using the players that got us to the tournament but we're now over the hill when we had better players available.
Jordan scored but should have had a few. DJ may have done better.

Didn't Kennedy play over Jardine too and if so what was the logic here?

In those days the English 1st division which is now the premier league was full of Scottish players. So we did have the best players in England and Scotland. Now consider only 14 teams qualified for the 78 world cup West Germany being holders and Argentina being host didn't have too. So let there be no doubt we had a good team. Ally McLeod was blamed and ridiculed for the rest of his life. Because of his overconfidence and naivety he of course does have to accept his part in the debacle but some of the players really let him and the country down.

It was a strange game. Loads of missed chances for both sides, and that Peru first goal looked like an arm was used before the ball was fired past Rough. Cubillas's goals were incredible.

I was heartbroken was convinced we weee going to win. Nearly finished my Panini album.
Fuctifano scored a cracker .

I was eighteen and slowly got fucking pissed as the goals/free kicks flew past our forgotten hero Alan fucking perm Rough by Peru. He was fucking truely awful in all honesty and out his fucking depth as our first choice keeper then…I cringe looking back on 1978. Ally McLeod then manager I’m afraid was so delusional in his approach and preparation for the WC….I do remember that big DJ was no where to be seen at the tournament despite showing great form in the home internationals just before the WC.

I think it's more the case of more small countries started playing competitively. Granted, we probably punched above our weight back then but once you had to beat 3 or 4 Balkan or former Soviet sides, we've struggled with at least one of them being better by and large.
back then, I thought we belonged in world cups etc, rather than punching above our weight tbh, but then again, that was through the eyes of a child

The Scottish media were mocking Peru prior to the game as several of their players were veterans of the 1970 campaign and seen as well past it.
I never trusted the national side or the media in this country after that game.

That's crazy, I eerily actually watched that tonight, scotland had some incredible chances, the pen which I had forgotten about and jordan especially from 8 yards or so, loads if culprits, so many poor attempts at goal.

8 failed attempts to try and get out of group stage, embarrassing when you see likes of Japan, south korea, australia, morocco, senegal etc do it

It's actually embarrassing and baffling at the same time how scotland have never got out the group stage,had some good sides and great players in the 60s 70s 80s

It's actually embarrassing and baffling at the same time how scotland have never got out the group stage,had some good sides and great players in the 60s 70s 80s
Slightly before my time. But if you go through the 82 WC squad it is absolute quality all way through. GK maybe you would have issues with. Mental how that quality of team never got out groups.

Vague memories of the Peru game as I was 6 at the time but growing up,I thought Peru were on par with the Brazils,Argentina's and West Germany of that time.........then you get to understand there were piish

The Scottish media were mocking Peru prior to the game as several of their players were veterans of the 1970 campaign and seen as well past it.

Peru were south american champions.

Holland of course were packed with great players and had reached the previous final.

Considering only 2 teams got out the group you do wonder why it was viewed as such a good draw.

Not like the scottish media to get ahead of themselves is it :rolleyes:

Holland of course were packed with great players and had reached the previous final.

Considering only 2 teams got out the group you do wonder why it was viewed as such a good draw.

I'm still not convinced Holland wanted to win that game against us.

It was like having John Gordon Sinclair in goal.
Kz2DPqj.jpg

I remember an ad in the paper on the day of the game, for Ladbrokes or similar, a cartoon of a Scot in a kilt booting a gaucho-like Peruvian up the jacksie with the headline "Bet you Scotland boot Peru right up the Andes" lol.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, was caught up in it. McLeod was on some documentary pre-tournament giving it "we'll win a medal, there's no doubt in my mind of that" and then the infamous lap of honour before the team left, going round Hampden in an open top bus (shown live on TV into the bargain), with no game on and people paying money to go in and watch it. Ads on the telly with the players selling cars or whatever - it was everywhere. Scotland did have some great players at the time but the mania was mental. It was all great - until we scored and woke the Peruvians up! They were a good team too, but the Iranian match was the dregs. I fell asleep watching it lol.

I was on a school trip to Germany by the time the Holland game was played and much of my gear was Scotland WC themed - a hold-all, loads of t-shirts etc and it was too late to buy new stuff, and loads of other tourists were taking the piss out of me after the debacle that had just happened - it was torture. I think it was then that any inking of supporting the Scotland football team I'd had was driven from me lol.

I'm still not convinced Holland wanted to win that game against us.

Yip. By losing by less than 3 goals they went into a more favourable 2nd round group stage.

Still beating holland (but still getting knocked out) has allowed some people a wee crutch to hang onto.

Iran was seen as a gimme and all we knew about Peru was Paddington came from there.
We'd done OK in the South American tour the summer before and I think people thought Peru would be the same level as Chile.
The home internationals before leaving for Argentina we when the warning signs started. They were a bit of struggle.
As a 10 year old I was at Hampden to see us leave for Argentina convinced we were coming back with the World Cup.

Iran was seen as a gimme and all we knew about Peru was Paddington came from there.
We'd done OK in the South American tour the summer before and I think people thought Peru would be the same level as Chile.
The home internationals before leaving for Argentina we when the warning signs started. They were a bit of struggle.
As a 10 year old I was at Hampden to see us leave for Argentina convinced we were coming back with the World Cup.

I was 1 at the time. My dad will talk about football from the 70s until the cows come home but he never talks about that world cup.

He prob fell for the hype as well.

Remember being at Hampden as the team flew out and they had a celebration oarty

Made the fundamental error of playing football after they

Back