Is the mad monk lying?

• Yes

Votes: 346 95.6%
  • No

Votes: 16 4.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jan Žižka

The then-skipper at Celtic even recalled a moment he expected an elbow in the face from the ex-Liverpool midfielder - only for Souness to take a quick look behind him to see who he'd be leathering - and pull out.

Speaking to Si Ferry on his Open Goal show, Grant said: "I remember one time the two of us were running for the ball at the old Jungle.

"He's went like that, as if he's going to elbow me.

"He's looked round and I thought, 'he's going to smack me on the chin here'.

"And he went 'you're lucky it's you, Peter', and he just kept running.

"I think that was the respect, he knew I wouldn't come from behind and do him to please the fans.

"Face on, though, we'd be into each other."

That’s just Souness’s style,and why so many respected him,just a wee game of minds.
At any time he could go over the top,as you said you were expecting it ,he knew that already so double bluffed you into lucky mode.
An elbow would have straightened a few of your features out ya minger.

That first game at Easter road was a statement of what was to come.
Everyone was walking about doing Souness kicks for weeks afterwards.Not many if any got the better of Souness.When people on here slag off McCoist they should think about how he stuck it out during the time Souness benched him and how ally responded,that’s more a mutual respect there imo.

That first game at Easter road was a statement of what was to come.
Everyone was walking about doing Souness kicks for weeks afterwards.Not many if any got the better of Souness.When people on here slag off McCoist they should think about how he stuck it out during the time Souness benched him and how ally responded,that’s more a mutual respect there imo.

This was all back in the day when a hard tackle was deemed an acceptable part of the game and not like todays game for overpaid actors. As for McCoist i think Souness was actually jealous of McCoists popularity and standing with the fans and wanted to put him in his place. McCoist showed a huge amount of mental strength to come through that period of his career.

This was all back in the day when a hard tackle was deemed an acceptable part of the game and not like todays game for overpaid actors. As for McCoist i think Souness was actually jealous of McCoists popularity and standing with the fans and wanted to put him in his place. McCoist showed a huge amount of mental strength to come through that period of his career.
That’s the accepted story, but Souness was surely comfortable (arrogant?) enough not to worry about others’ popularity to be that petty. Anyway, I was speaking to someone close to McCoist at that time and Coisty told him that he was “...being pissed on from a great height”, but was quick to emphasise that he wouldn’t be forced out.

ps - Rasputin’s talkin baws.

As if Souness would have respected that skidmark as has been said, it was all about mind games, you had one eye expecting to be clattered and when that didn’t come he had beaten you because he’d thrown you off your game.

A proper football hard man not like some of the plastic hard men in the game today

Wasn't fit to share the same pitch as the magnificent bastard, don't care if true or not really but if it makes Grant feel happy about the faux respect he thinks Souness had for him then I'd say he's a big fat liar!

Souness wouldn’t have given a single fûck about Grant back then, Grant is kidding himself on. Souness was their bogey man, they were absolutely terrified of him and what he was doing at Rangers. I remember one day at Parkhead, Souness decided to do his warm up routine right in front of the jungle, he was casually jogging up and down, doing stretches, looking as cool as fûck and looking like he never had a care in the world. Meanwhile the vermin in the jungle where going absolutely mental, running down to the front to abuse him. It was superb to watch.

Btw, I haven’t watched the whole interview, but I saw the bit where he talks about Mojo signing for us and how it set them back 10 years. It still haunts him to this day, which is nice.

On one hand there's:
Over 50 caps and played in 2 world cups, captain of Liverpool with 5 league trophies and 3 european cups, managed Rangers, Liverpool, Galatasaray, Benfica etc, and is now in Sky Sports studios opposed to sitting with Si Ferry.

And on the other:
2 international caps and the manager of Alloa talking to Si Ferry.

Aye, I'm sure there's a mutual respect.... I wonder if he'd say that if Souness had been in the room.

My pet hate growing up , used to say if we got to play in a rangers celtic game. Just punch Peter Grant in the face. Wouldn't care if you got sent off as it would be so worth it.

3VudLka.gif

Souness would of had the same amount of respect for him as he did the mud on his boots.

Poor Peter. Trying desperately to make out as if Souness respected him.

Memo to Grant - Souness treated you and your club the way you should be, like dogshit on his shoe.

He didn't respect you, he didn't like you. He had nothing but contempt for you.
Nail on the head.

What a fantastic anecdote.

He must be in demand on the after dinner speech circuit.

Souness has said that he knew Ally had the skill but lacked the work ethic to be as good as he could, GS made him realise just what he had to do and Ally responded to the challenge, good management imho Mate.

Hey Rasputin

Mind the time in the Skol Cup Final 1986, where you'd just dumped Ted McMinn on his arse, then stood over him ranting like some kid-on hard man ...... until McMinn got to his feet and stared you down.

Did you ever get the brown stain out of your shorts from that day ?

What a fanny Peter The Pointer is.

Isn't it great how these Charlies crawl out of the woodwork having grown a retrofit set of niagaras and thinking they're riding the crest of a wave. Same with Tom Boyd.

Who's up next with 'Si the Pie' to rewrite history? Big Shirley?

Jesus

Trying to attach your own name to an absolute footballing legend like Souness after all this time. That’s tragic from Grant.

He must realise everybody has completely forgotten him, the limited ability fud. He wasn’t fit to be in the same pitch as Souness.

The magnificent bastard said on super Sunday at the weekend while talking about Arsenal being a bunch of shite bags that he was never ever scared on a football pitch so the pointer is talking shite as usual

Back