Peter Huistra - Passport To Glory

mdingwall

Administrator
9c7RTah.jpg

You couldn't help but like Huistra.

A guy who had a lot of talent, played with a smile on his face yet looked like there was a bit of a psycho bubbling away underneath the surface!

I think he left us at the wrong time.He was improving constantly.Was his goal at Tannadice his last for us or am I just getting forgetful?

Got a cracking photo of PH with us in Amsterdam’s Dam Square on the day of or the day before the Feyenoord game in 2002.

He spent a few hours with the bears. Guy was brand new.

I think when he left us he was enjoying a long run in the team, he was playing really well too, my memory isn’t the greatest but did he not score at Brockville on his farewell?

@SDF

Started something like 14/15 games on the trot right up until his departure. Sure he was given the captaincy for the Brockville game where he scored twice before leaving

He linked up really well with Laudrup and there were a few games he was brilliant in that run. Hampden v Celtic, up at Tannadice and Boxing Day v Hibs where he tore them to bits.

Started something like 14/15 games on the trot right up until his departure. Sure he was given the captaincy for the Brockville game where he scored twice before leaving

He linked up really well with Laudrup and there were a few games he was brilliant in that run. Hampden v Celtic, up at Tannadice and Boxing Day v Hibs where he tore them to bits.
That’s right, I do recall a good run of games and him scoring on his farewell.

I always loved Blue Pieter, even more so when I was skipping an overnight train from the south of France back to Holland, and the conductor recognised my Rangers (Adidas.) top and approached me, as I didn’t have a ticket, or the money to pay, I didn’t really want to see him, but as he came closer he said “Pieter Huistra..” And we struck up a rapport, no ticket asked for and he gave me a space in his cupboard to keep my rucksack safe, and I slept in there too. The train was mobbed, people sleeping on the floor, absolute bedlam.
My main memory of the bold Pieter was his hair! He could pelt up the wing, stop suddenly, sending a full back sliding past, but his hair just jumped straight back into shape. A very good player for us.

An integral part of one of the finest Rangers teams ever; his goal in Bruges sent the place mental !
Best of luck to him, wherever life takes him.
One of my favourite goals, standing behind the goals and the ball fell to him. Place went crazy. Worth the coach trip.
Think it was absolutely Baltic as well.

I was lucky enough to do some work for Pieter and Mirjam whilst he was playing at the club. It’s the only time I’ve actually done work for a current first team player. In all honesty, and then a young man of about 30 at the time, it was still difficult not to be a little star struck.

Anyway, as others have said, he was an absolute gentleman and he and Mirjam really made me feel welcome.

He was an excellent player for us and having been invited into his home remains a fond memory to this day. :)

I always loved Blue Pieter, even more so when I was skipping an overnight train from the south of France back to Holland, and the conductor recognised my Rangers (Adidas.) top and approached me, as I didn’t have a ticket, or the money to pay, I didn’t really want to see him, but as he came closer he said “Pieter Huistra..” And we struck up a rapport, no ticket asked for and he gave me a space in his cupboard to keep my rucksack safe, and I slept in there too. The train was mobbed, people sleeping on the floor, absolute bedlam.
My main memory of the bold Pieter was his hair! He could pelt up the wing, stop suddenly, sending a full back sliding past, but his hair just jumped straight back into shape. A very good player for us.
Aye and it’s still the same, lucky sod ha ha

Reactions: TQ3

He loved a goal against Dundee United - had a great run of scoring against them, especially up there.

He loved a goal against Dundee United - had a great run of scoring against them, especially up there.

Three seasons on the trot he scored at Tannadice including a double in 93 where he lashed one into the top corner from the edge of the box and then finished off a cracking move for his second.

One of my favourites, I was gutted when he left.
Little did I know that within 12 month I too would be living in Japan and although my team to watch was grampus, I caught him playing twice in Nagoya in 1996. Was still too good for that league at the time.

I used to go down to the Albion and wait for the players to come out for an autograph, I was 9 at the time and saw Peter who was talking to a Dutch guy, so I stood and waited beside him patiently for around 10 mins with my pen and pad at the ready. Peter just blanked me after his chat and walked off.. never ever criticised a player before but now I am in my 40s with 2 Rangers daft boys I don’t know how a player can do that to a kid.
Who knows maybe he was tired, but he could see me waiting and knew I wanted an autograph. Strange .

Always liked Huistra as a player, he was what used to be termed as a "cultured footballer".

He was in the form of his life when he left.

A player I never took too had ability but lacked heart and fight IMO

Thats just not true at all mate i dont remember any games where he wasnt trying.... off form or playing poorly yeah happened a number of times but he was also unlucky at to be in and out of the team. Walter playing far too cautious in games aginst dross like motherwell or killie.

People always say wide players lack fight or passion i think its more that they have to be careful out there and not get injured by flying boots, elbows or crazy challenges. No point getting hurt to win a throw in.

Same was said about Walters at times and Cooper, not fair at all. Its not lack of passion its having a stinker or a day when its just not happening.

Look at any old clips of Huistra scoring or being part of a winning team he clearly loved every second of it and at what £200,000 was a very good signing by Souness.

Fantastic player in the first Rangers team I properly remember. Loved him and was gutted as a 12 year old when he left.

Thats just not true at all mate i dont remember any games where he wasnt trying.... off form or playing poorly yeah happened a number of times but he was also unlucky at to be in and out of the team. Walter playing far too cautious in games aginst dross like motherwell or killie.

People always say wide players lack fight or passion i think its more that they have to be careful out there and not get injured by flying boots, elbows or crazy challenges. No point getting hurt to win a throw in.

Same was said about Walters at times and Cooper, not fair at all. Its not lack of passion its having a stinker or a day when its just not happening.

Look at any old clips of Huistra scoring or being part of a winning team he clearly loved every second of it and at what £200,000 was a very good signing by Souness.
It’s an opinion it’s allowed

Always thought he looked a bit lightweight, but a pretty skillful player. Remember him getting the red card against Celtic at Ibrox. Sure he swung a leg at Mike Galloway?

McCoist told a story about how Walter was having a right go at the players one day at half time and was shouting at Huistra: "Do you want to play for this club?!" and the bold Pieter just looks at him quizzically and says "Of course" in a real laid-back style typical of the Dutch.

He was a very decent player, who ironically turned on his best performances after it was announced he was leaving.

Back