Peter Lawwell calls Walter Smith 'a true legend'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnyloyal

Lawwell said: “Every now and then someone comes along who transcends the rivalry between our clubs.

“Tommy Burns was one of those men and Walter Smith was most certainly another. That’s why, today, we are all united in feeling such a painful loss.

“Walter and I had our moments but we always had a deep mutual respect for one another.

“I saw a different side to him throughout Tommy’s illness. I could see him for the man he was in how he crossed the divide for his great friend.”

Lawwell revealed, in their later years, the pair even managed to strike up an unlikely friendship.

He said: “When he left Rangers we even managed to become reasonably pally!

“I always appreciated those conversations because he was such an obvious leader of men.

“During his time at Rangers he became a true legend, not just because of the trophies he won but because of the standards he held on and off the pitch.

“He was a great man and I hold him in the highest possible regard.

“I will always respect him and admire his achievements as a manager for both Rangers and for Scotland. He will go down on the list of Scottish football’s all-time greats.”

Just read that. This really is going to be one of those huge moments in Scottish Football that transcends everything.

Walter's bringing Scotland together again.

There's a difference between players/managers and staff at both clubs compared to the usual "I hate them, hate their beliefs blah blah blah"

Do people even know that before the internet, sometimes players from both clubs actually drank and were friends with each other?

In fact, are you even aware that fans of both clubs have friends and even family members that support their rivals? And believe it or not, there's no dug shite smeared on their brothers/sisters/cousins/aunts and uncles wheelie bins either.

Social media has a hell of a lot to answer for! It used to be when the teams meet and the week before build up that was the problem. Now, it's everyday from all the attention seekers craving they "likes".

R.I.P Walter Smith.

There's a difference between players/managers and staff at both clubs compared to the usual "I hate them, hate their beliefs blah blah blah"

Do people even know that before the internet, sometimes players from both clubs actually drank and were friends with each other?

In fact, are you even aware that fans of both clubs have friends and even family members that support their rivals? And believe it or not, there's no dug shite smeared on their brothers/sisters/cousins/aunts and uncles wheelie bins either.

Social media has a hell of a lot to answer for! It used to be when the teams meet and the week before build up that was the problem. Now, it's everyday from all the attention seekers craving they "likes".

R.I.P Walter Smith.
Perhaps the best post I've ever seen on this, any forum, or indeed the whole internet.

R.I.P Walter Smith.
Coisty called it on talksport. Another thing stuck with me when he said Walter was a sore loser, but at the same time, he accepted that's part of the game.

Nothing in football comes anywhere near losing a loved one, doesnt come close.

R.I.P Walter Smith.
Cracking post. Even with the internet we have many parts of Scotland where this is normal life.

Walter showed that life is about people and you can find friendship in the unlikeliest of places. You need the courage to not judge and accept differences.

Despite what people may or not think about Peter Lawell, being angry that he paid his own tribute to Walter is a very poor look.

None of us are aware of the ins and out of any relationship they had. They clearly had enough of a friendship struck up for the man to comment, so best just to be respectful and leave it at that.

Fair play to him, really kind words and should be taken as such.
I've spoken to a few different supporters today. Everyone one had nothing but good things to say about Walter Smith.
At the end of the day, we have lost a legend and a leader. But also someone lost their Husband,Dad,Brother,Grandfather today now is not the time for rivalries and bitterness...that can wait.

Fair play to lawell. Would love to know what walter and lawells "moments " were though!
And I dont wont to derail thread or go off on any kind of tangent today but is he speaking as himself or for celtic, I didnt think he was offically still involved?
Not that any of that really matters

He got one thing wrong in an otherwise commendable tribute. Walter may have stood aside and retired as manager but he never left Rangers.

He got one thing wrong in an otherwise commendable tribute. Walter may have stood aside and retired as manager but he never left Rangers.
Was he really expected to explain the ins and outs of Walter’s relationship with Rangers in his tribute?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back