Peter Lorimer

Just knew it wasn't going to be good news when I seen this thread, so sad for a player I grew up with, remember him as part of the great Leeds team of the early 70's.

Also playing for Scotland in the 1974 WC and home internationals, infact I think he scored against Zaire, when we thought 2-0 was a decent result !

I guess this is part of getting old myself when football icons of my youth are passing away.

Hot Shot Lorimer for sure.
Only for Yugoslavia to put nine by them.

Another icon of my childhood. Sad to hear this back to the days Leeds had a Scottish backbone to their team, all of them great players.
And the silkiest footballer of them all at Elland Rd was Eddie Gray.

Sean Fallon tried to get Eddie jnr to sign for the yahoos, circa 64 . He visited the Gray household and made his pitch. Eddie snr told him to do one. The signing on fee and money to be made even then from second division Leeds was night and day to what was offered from the yahoos.

My old man knew him from schools football in Dundee - from the same scheme - he said he was always head and shoulders above everyone else. Used to see him back here now and again in the Royal Arch as he still had family up here. Sad as you see these legends of the game dying Off.

Saw him play in a school boy international against England at Ibrox in 1962. Scotland won 4-3 I think he scored 2 goals.

Leeds Utd have been my English team since the 60's. Lorimer was a fantastic player. Dont think there is many left from that great era. Sad news. Still with us are Paul Reaney(?), Allan Clarke, Johnny Giles, Eddie Gray, Terry Yorath and Mick Jones.

Like many said a boyhood hero. Leeds were a traditional football team played hard at the back and talent at the front. Remember when you played football out the back and I'd go Lorimer. Just in my mind of course. Loved going to Hampden then to see Scotland with my dad. Such talent. Sad to see so many end their days this way.

Good wee segment on him here in this classic TV show from 11 minutes in.
Exactly why i used to kid on i was Peter Lorimer when leathering the ball (into the river usually).
Sad news, real legend for Leeds & Scotland.

Stayed in his pub when working in Leeds guy was a gent drove me to my site 1st day because I didn't know where I was going pub was a man's pub he worked the bar always had a story. Sad news I wish him all the best.

Sadness, amidst all the joy.
Peter Lorimer was a cracking player back in the day and that Leeds team were brilliant.
Went down to Elland Road and saw them a few times and the Elland Road Stadium was buzzing.
A great Scottish hero during a period when we produced some fantastic talents.

A Dundee lad. Along with Eddie Gray and Billy Bremner he was one of the Scottish stalwarts of the great Leeds team of the 60's and 70's.

Just think about that era...David Harvey, Dave Stewart, Gordon McQueen, John O'Hare (I think), Peter Lorimar, Joe Jordan, Billy Bremner, Eddie Gray, Frank Gray, John McGovern all played for Leeds in that short period. Extraordinary.

So many happy memories of Peter Lorimar from when Bears were proud to be Scotland fans. Thank you sir, a true Scotland hero.

Just think about that era...David Harvey, Dave Stewart, Gordon McQueen, John O'Hare (I think), Peter Lorimar, Joe Jordan, Billy Bremner, Eddie Gray, Frank Gray, John McGovern all played for Leeds in that short period. Extraordinary.

So many happy memories of Peter Lorimar from when Bears were proud to be Scotland fans. Thank you sir, a true Scotland hero.
Some of the players that made Leeds my English team. Host of English players too

Leeds Utd have been my English team since the 60's. Lorimer was a fantastic player. Dont think there is many left from that great era. Sad news. Still with us are Paul Reaney(?), Allan Clarke, Johnny Giles, Eddie Gray, Terry Yorath and Mick Jones.
Terry Yorath died about 30 years ago

Elland Road was one of the great atmospheric grounds of the 60’s and 70’s. Even if you didn’t like Leeds , they were true style icons of that era, a wonderful side built up by the great Don Revie.
Now it’s all money.

Still mantain that Leeds Utd side was very underrated.
And still I got fond memories of that screamer against Zaire at WC in 1974.

What a shame. Terrific striker from an era when had talent to burn.
One of the few players my mum, no great football fan but married to my dad who definitely was, remembers seeing live. Said the noise when he kicked the ball sounded like somebody hitting sheet metal with a sledgehammer.

We are all getting to that age now sadly our heroes and parents are dying all around us and it seems that once it starts it never ends . I got to 40 and had only lost two grandparents and that’s it , genuinely had been to two funerals , in the last few years it’s been funeral after funeral absolutely heart breaking and I assume it will now be like this until it’s my turn . Nobody prepares you for this part of life :(

Part of the legendary Don Revie side that my dad, uncle and grandpa regularly went to see when they lived in Leeds from 1965 to 1968.

Very sad news.

Not many left of the classic line-up, Sprake,
Reaney, Cooper,
Bremner,Charlton, Hunter,
Lorimer, Clarke, Jones, Giles & Gray.

Great team, some great players, really liked Lorimer, & what a shot he had. Used to kid on being him in the school playground.
Sad news indeed.

He’s my partners Dads Uncle. He will be sad to know this as lm sure he doesn’t at the moment.

Absolutely, what a squad that was at Leeds - and hard as nails when required.

We (Scots) also had so many great players in the other top English sides - I remember it was a tremendous source of pride growing up.

I know we've got players dotted about down there now, but our last link to actual greatness was Ferguson, as a manager obviously, and it's so sad to hear about Lorimer.

My Uncle is a huge fan of his, says he can't believe he only got 20 odd Scotland caps such was the talent we had back then.

Great era for Leeds as well.
This a question often posed by the mentally challengeds regarding Johnstone, but your quote above is the perect explanation. Between around 1965 to 75 Scotland managers had the following players to choose for the right wing slot. Jimmy Johnstone, Willie Henderson, Charlie Cooke, Peter Lorimer, and Willie Morgan. All of them picking up caps naturally reduces the numbers of caps per individual player. From the 5 I've named, the first 3 I would rate ahead of the other 2, but all of them wonderful players.

Such sad news. He has given us so much pleasure since his U15
Schoolboy International days.
Wish you a very comfortable stay
in the hospice, Peter.

Lorimer never played for Hibs or any other Scottish club. He made his debut at 15 for Leeds. You might be thinking of Peter Cormack who played for Hibs, Notts Forest and Liverpool
Thanks for correcting me, many brain cells have been and gone since the seventies!

My old man knew him from schools football in Dundee - from the same scheme - he said he was always head and shoulders above everyone else. Used to see him back here now and again in the Royal Arch as he still had family up here. Sad as you see these legends of the game dying Off.

That would be Douglas. 1/2 mile from where I grew up.

This a question often posed by the mentally challengeds regarding Johnstone, but your quote above is the perect explanation. Between around 1965 to 75 Scotland managers had the following players to choose for the right wing slot. Jimmy Johnstone, Willie Henderson, Charlie Cooke, Peter Lorimer, and Willie Morgan. All of them picking up caps naturally reduces the numbers of caps per individual player. From the 5 I've named, the first 3 I would rate ahead of the other 2, but all of them wonderful players.

Lorimer, although a great winger, was not an orthodox right winger. He had the best shot of the five you listed, but the others had better dribbling skills. Willie Morgan would have been my 5th choice out of the ones you listed, and Willie Henderson my first choice. All great players, though.

Back