Peter Lorimer

I dont know what to say except there is a sadness that seems to hang around the older you get when you hear of things like this or worse knowing people from your childhood be they footballers, musicians, actors or whoever suffering illnesses or worse!

Peter Lorimer his goal against Zaire and run of similar goals around that time! Played in a great leeds team!

We were amazed and delighted when he signed for my local club York City in 1979.
29 appearances and 8 goals. Possibly the biggest 'name ' ever to play for City.
Went to Canada afterwards then ended up back at Leeds.
An outstanding footballer with an impressive career.
Such sad news

Sad news he was a stand out player for Hibs, Leeds & a really great Scottish side.

What you smokin' Big Man?
He never played for Hibs or Rangers B-D

Surprised to find Peter Lorimer is far and away Leeds Utd top Goal scorer of all time with 238 Goals.
The closest to him was John Charles with 157 Goals.
Made his debut in 1962 as a 15 year old, and played his last game for Leeds some 23 years later in 1985, at the age of 39! ( Lorimer was a year older than his manager Eddie Gray)
Made over 700 Appearances for Leeds Utd, and was voted #2 in the 100 Greatest Leeds Players of all time (Billy Bremner being #1).

Some player. Dundee produced him and Derek Johnstone among many others around that time. Used to see PL at the races

Entered a hospice for end of life care, so sad.

Part of my childhood. Even in the days before mass tv coverage you knew he was some player. Leeds youngest ever player, record goalscorer by some distance and not even a striker and on the fans legends list. I remember in the 70s he was also reputed to have the hardest shot in football. Also remember him scoring for Scotland in 74 world cup. Very sad to hear.

I have fond memories of Peter Lorimer. The most special one is that I attended Scotland v Wales at Hampden Park, the night Rangers won the ECWC.

Peter Lorimer scored the only goal of the game and Scotland beat Wales 1-0.

On leaving Hampden, Rangers were 3-0 up. By the time we reached home it was 3-2.

God Bless you Peter Lorimer.

I’m sure Peter Lorimer was the first Scotland internationalist to be ordered off* (Denmark circa 1972). I was at the game and found it bizarre for a player like him to be in trouble.

A first class player and, by all comments on here, a first class bloke.

*Alan Mullery was first England player ordered off - another curiosity.

Alre
What you smokin' Big Man?
He never played for Hibs or Rangers B-D

Surprised to find Peter Lorimer is far and away Leeds Utd top Goal scorer of all time with 238 Goals.
The closest to him was John Charles with 157 Goals.
Made his debut in 1962 as a 15 year old, and played his last game for Leeds some 23 years later in 1985, at the age of 39! ( Lorimer was a year older than his manager Eddie Gray)
Made over 700 Appearances for Leeds Utd, and was voted #2 in the 100 Greatest Leeds Players of all time (Billy Bremner being #1).
already got corrected on it pal, too many dead brain cells I’m afraid. Hibs are a bit like the Tim’s - all their players look alike to me mistook cormack for lorimer .

Crackin player and one of the best in an era when there was loads of Scottish talent. That Leeds side always looked great and i supposed we never got to see much of the 'dirty Leeds' stuff because we only got 10 minute highlights. Was always good to see Leeds matches from 70-75 when they were on.
Lorimer was class and known as the hardest shot in the game.

Peter Lorimer packed some fantastic shot on him. Of the modern players probably only Jorg Albertz came close to power and accuracy.

I think it was Peter Lorimer who scored a stunning goal in the European cup final against Bayern which was controversially ruled out for offside which eventually led to serious rioting in the stadium.
Leeds were all over them at the time and this was the turning point.

That would be Douglas. 1/2 mile from where I grew up.
indeed the place of my upbringing - as well as the old man was speaking to my old man about it yesterday he is 4/5 years older than Lorimer but said none of the older the older
lads would get near him even when he was 11/12 when they were having a kick about. One of his mates is still very friendly with the family and its Very sad what’s happened.

I think it was Peter Lorimer who scored a stunning goal in the European cup final against Bayern which was controversially ruled out for offside which eventually led to serious rioting in the stadium.
Leeds were all over them at the time and this was the turning point.
The ref originally poured to the centre circle signifying a goal but apparently Beckenbaur spoke to the ref and the goal was disallowed for offside against Bremner. Leeds were definitely cheated out of that trophy without a doubt. Apart from not getting the goal they were denied two stonewall penalties by the ref

Crackin player and one of the best in an era when there was loads of Scottish talent. That Leeds side always looked great and i supposed we never got to see much of the 'dirty Leeds' stuff because we only got 10 minute highlights. Was always good to see Leeds matches from 70-75 when they were on.
Lorimer was class and known as the hardest shot in the game.
One of the hardest right foot shots I've ever seen. A cracking player in a cracking team. HOWEVER, under Revie, they were the most despicable, snidey, dirty, cheating bunch of so-and-so's you could ever wish to see. Leeds were an enigma and nobody could really understand why they resorted to those tactics when they had the ability to play most teams off the park. Leeds fans apart, there will probably never be such a hated team as that 60s + 70s team as evidenced by the fact that virtually everyone down South supported Chelsea in the 1970 FA Cup Final and hardly anyone batted an eyelid after they got robbed in the 1973 ECWC & 1975 EC.

One of my favorite non-Rangers players as a kid. His Albertz like shots were re-created on the playground. One of my first jerseys was a Leeds one due to Lorimer.

Sad news, but a great career.

Sad news. Before my time but my dad used to say what a great player he was.

One of the hardest right foot shots I've ever seen. A cracking player in a cracking team. HOWEVER, under Revie, they were the most despicable, snidey, dirty, cheating bunch of so-and-so's you could ever wish to see. Leeds were an enigma and nobody could really understand why they resorted to those tactics when they had the ability to play most teams off the park. Leeds fans apart, there will probably never be such a hated team as that 60s + 70s team as evidenced by the fact that virtually everyone down South supported Chelsea in the 1970 FA Cup Final and hardly anyone batted an eyelid after they got robbed in the 1973 ECWC & 1975 EC.
Very accurate assessment there chap, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Regards.

My dad’s cousin was in and around that great team, not a first team regular but did play a few games with Lorimer and co so much so that him and Lorimer are best friends. When my Gran died Lorimer and a couple of others came up from Leeds for the funeral.
So sad to see him now as he is a lovely man and doesn’t deserve to be seeing out his final days in a hospice.

Peter’s testimonial took part in Dundee
Around 1976
My dad took me to that
Bremner played as did many of the Leeds legends
I remember seeing all the Leeds fans in and around Dens Park at the time
I have no idea why it hadn’t been played at eland road

Like the Aberdeen team of the early 80's, you mean.

And the silkiest footballer of them all at Elland Rd was Eddie Gray.

Sean Fallon tried to get Eddie jnr to sign for the yahoos, circa 64 . He visited the Gray household and made his pitch. Eddie snr told him to do one. The signing on fee and money to be made even then from second division Leeds was night and day to what was offered from the yahoos.
When Eddie was 15 Don Revie went to Eddie’s school and told his headmaster that Eddie was finishing school and joining Leeds Utd. You can only imagine “what if” if Revie had managed the Scotland team at the 74 World Cup with his Leeds players and the other talent in that squad Dalglish ,Jardine etc he would have certainly got them past the group stage

When Eddie was 15 Don Revie went to Eddie’s school and told his headmaster that Eddie was finishing school and joining Leeds Utd. You can only imagine “what if” if Revie had managed the Scotland team at the 74 World Cup with his Leeds players and the other talent in that squad Dalglish ,Jardine etc he would have certainly got them past the group stage
I had an uncle that was always trying to tell me how good Eddie Gray was; something that led me to paying close attention to when watching old matches on YouTube. Looking at that Leeds team as I have, I have trouble finding anywhere where it deserves the tag "dirty" attributed to it.

Sad news.
A genuine footballing great from an era when Scotland produced so many.
Before my time as a player, but for those with an interest is football in times past, I would recommend the magazine "backpass".
Always has something interesting about football in the bygone days of yore.
A past issue had an interview with Peter Lorimer,Dundee fan as a boy, all the off the field drama at the 1974 world cup.
Including how when travelling to and from the matches the Scotland team had to hide on the bus floor as being the only British representative they had received death threats from the IRA.
Different times.

Back